• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Stem Cells

calzy

:confused:Not enough research, long term effects etc. Cheney has discussed at lenght with her his treatment plans, but I guess everyone has their medical opinons. And she doesnt like the idea of it being outside the US.:Retro mad: I guess UM is doing a lot of stem cell research. The clinics are American companies as I understand. Molly, who referred you?

Hysterical Woman

:confused:Not enough research, long term effects etc. Cheney has discussed at lenght with her his treatment plans, but I guess everyone has their medical opinons. And she doesnt like the idea of it being outside the US.:Retro mad: I guess UM is doing a lot of stem cell research. The clinics are American companies as I understand. Molly, who referred you?

Hi Guys,

I don't know this for sure, but isn't the stem cells kinda the last resort with his patients? Don't most if not all try his other protocols first? Maybe not? Anybody know?

Maxine

calzy

Hi Guys,

I don't know this for sure, but isn't the stem cells kinda the last resort with his patients? Don't most if not all try his other protocols first? Maybe not? Anybody know?

Maxine

Nope, not last resort, up to the patient and actually this is part of his protocal now.

Hysterical Woman

Nope, not last resort, up to the patient and actually this is part of his protocal now.

Hi Calzy,

Thanks for the info. I would consider it if I knew more about it and could beg, borrow, or steal....oh OK, beg and borrow the money to do it. I am not highly concerned about the clinic being outside of the US. I can't imagine that Cheney would be using it if it was set up in someone's garage. ;) I have managed to lose 19+ years of my life in this country with almost no help at all from our medical system.

Take care,

Maxine

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Agree, Calzy,

I know of Cheney patients at different functioning levels, different ages, all sorts of differences who have gone for stem cell infusions. He does want them to do a lot of protocols beforehand in preparation to get the best results. So far, everyone I have heard of (through my friend) has had good results, but...no one knows how it will go down the road--just that they are generally doing dramatically better so far. I jump for it too if the $$ were lying around. I don't expect Medicare to pick this one up anytime soon.

Sushi

Hysterical Woman

Molly

Hi Molly,

One more question - did you have any problems at the clinic with communication? Did most everyone there speak English....or American?:Retro smile:

Also, I am assuming they treat a lot of illnesses there besides CFS and MS. Cancer? Others? Just curious.

Thanks,

Maxine

calzy

Im not concerned about the clinic being outside US, its an American co that got fed up with the governments putting up road blocks.
Hi Calzy,

Thanks for the info. I would consider it if I knew more about it and could beg, borrow, or steal....oh OK, beg and borrow the money to do it. I am not highly concerned about the clinic being outside of the US. I can't imagine that Cheney would be using it if it was set up in someone's garage. ;) I have managed to lose 19+ years of my life in this country with almost no help at all from our medical system.

Take care,

Maxine

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Yes, Maxine,

Cheney went down before he started taking patients and checked everything out. Then he accompanied at least the first few "batches" of patients and kept an eye on everyone and on the procedures. He was happy with the standard of care. The only complaint I have heard from my friend is that they went to a separate practice for the "fat harvesting" (this was Panama, not Costa Rica), and my friend didn't feel able to ask questions etc. re the procedure--which was painful.

Sushi

Hysterical Woman

Molly

I had 8 total infusions all within the same trip. There isn't really a NORMAL for stem cells. Usually they start you off on a certain amount of infusions. That being said, I had the option to stay longer and have more infusions. Now, with the "mini lipo" you stay longer because they replicate your cells, so they need to grow and expand. Then they are checked for quality etc.

But I WANT there to be a NORMAL.:Retro smile:

Age: I would say it is up to your body and how IT responds. Others including Cheney say that it is important to be in the "window" of 40 years old and under. This is predicated on the fact that 40 year olds and under have more growth hormone (the younger the more growth hormone) which helps in the stem cell process and getting well. A few of the doctors I spoke with said that the stem cells will travel to YOUR bone marrow AND everywhere it is NEEDED and revamp your body. I have been told many times by the docs in Costa Rica ...age doesnt matter, your BODY and how IT responds is important. And seeing the age of many others there I would say that is true.
I am in the window.

Yes, I believe my friend who sees Cheney is over 40 and that might be one of the reasons why she has not gone for the stem cell approach. I am definitely over 40, too, unfortunately, and am concerned that my cells might not be as viable.

Length of Illness: It was discussed obviously that the shorter the duration the greater the recovery, BUT they have also had a mixed bag with long term MS etc patients who got better quickly and some who were sick a short amount of time possibly not responding. My friend was sick with MS for 15-20 years, has a new life now.

Unfortunately, no guarantees.

Other Factors: No drinking or Smoking. Watch your diet...
I asked re: viruses and replication? *the new cells will help shift the corrupted genotype*
I wanted to know if I could become worse, they said it could happen. I asked so MANY questions so if you have particulars let me know.

I understand about this concern. I don't (and never have) smoked. I couldn't drink when first ill then I could, now I can't again without big consequences. I believe I will have more questions but my main one is - do you know where I can buy a winning lottery ticket?

Long Term Prognosis: Unknown. They never make a promise of a cure. After my consultation and research, I knew I would try it and if I have to go back, I will. I would rather feel better and have the hopes of eventually returning to something close to normal, than to not have hope at all.
Yes, people go back more than once. Sometimes it only takes the first time.
I am keeping a cool stem cell journal to chart myself!
Hope I have answered your questions. Any more? Feel free to ask
I am actually glad that they don't make a promise of a cure. I don't see how anyone could do that. I will probably come up with more questions later.

Thanks,

Maxine

Interesting. Yeah, I honestly have no idea where they would take it from me. I have a bit on my bum and that is honestly it. :Retro redface: I'm 6'1" and weigh a mere 125 lbs. :worried: Wonder how much they actually need.

Also, I'm assuming not, but maybe the fat cells could come from someone else (a family member)?

They took 750 CCs of belly fat (just over 3 cups) from each of the 6 patients who went down in September.

However, Dr. Cheney is no longer recommending the mini-lipo procedure (at least for now) because the people in his September group showed slightly less improvement than the previous two groups who did NOT have their belly fat harvested for stem cells.

Kathi

It is my understanding that they will not be using the belly fat stem cells any longer!! So please update your information.

Kathi

I am confused by this over 40/under 40 thing with Dr. Cheney. On his video about stem cells, he states that stem cells are necessary for those OVER 40, because the other treatments will not be enough as there are too many genetic mutations by 40, but it seems like people are saying here that he feels the prognosis for stem cells over 40 is not that good? Can anyone clarify his opinion about this? (also 40 seems somewhat arbitrary, since we all age differently, and also I wonder why he wouldn't try using growth hormone injections with the stem cells if that's the issue?).

dipic

Dr.Cheney's latest newsletter just came out and it talks about his work with stem cells. I don't have a subscription to his newsletter (you have to pay for it) so I only have a preview of what it contains.

In this issue of the Cheney Research Newsletter we emphasize the continued success of stem cell therapy in CFS by highlighting a family of three and their response to stem cells including the second cure so far seen after 13 cases treated to date. We are finding that the response is superb for those under 30 but more blunted in those over 50 after just one infusion cycle. We are giving two and possibly three cycles of stem cells now about 3-12 months apart which appears necessary for the older and sicker patients with emphasis on older (above 40). My sense is that those over 60 and especially over 70 will not do that well on a single cycle of stem cells, especially over time, though that may be a physiological age limit and not a chronological age limitation on expected response. Multiple cycles will probably be necessary for ages over 30 and the older the patient, the more cycles may be needed.

The stem cells really clean up the gut by GI(2) panel follow-up and reduce elevated immune activation markers such as TGF Beta-1 and C4a. Allergies significantly improve. We also see improved redox status markers such as MDA, SOD, GPx, NADH and NADPH and significantly improved oxygen toxicity by echo IVRT response. The clinical response is slow at first and gains momentum through 6 months and then slows down with a slow upward trajectory through 12 months and appears to plateau at 12 months or sooner unless you get a second round or perhaps a third round to optimize the response trajectory.

This issue also discusses the interesting temporal relationship between low birth weight babies, diastolic heart failure in the elderly and the surge of CFS cases since the mid-1980's through 2005. The concept of compensated diastolic heart failure seen in a few middle-aged CFS cases is discussed as distinct from diastolic dysfunction which is seen in almost all CFS cases (>97%).

The part I bolded stands out to me the most. For one, I was under the impression that Cheney had treated quite a bit more than just 13 people with stem cells. Secondly, what does he mean by "the second cure so far"? How on in the heck can he determine if someone has been "cured" or not? Seems a bit outrageous.

Wish I had access to the full thing, but anyway, just thought I would share what I have.

(Cheney's site: http://www.cheneyresearch.com/)

oerganix

Hi Calzy,

Thanks for the info. I would consider it if I knew more about it and could beg, borrow, or steal....oh OK, beg and borrow the money to do it. I am not highly concerned about the clinic being outside of the US. I can't imagine that Cheney would be using it if it was set up in someone's garage. ;) I have managed to lose 19+ years of my life in this country with almost no help at all from our medical system.- Maxine

WHO rates health care in Costa Rica one step above that of the US, which, if I remember right was 17 or 19 in the world.

oerganix

Molly29, thanks so much for sharing this with us. Can you point me to a website or tell me the name of the Costa Rican clinic? I live "next door" to Costa Rica and would like to try to parse out how much housing and transportation contribute to the total cost you stated. Or, if you know how it breaks down, what did the actual medical treatment cost?

I can go and return to/from Costa Rica for less than $50 RT and I know how to stay there for around $17-20 for a single, a little more for a double. And I know how to eat very cheaply.

You did say one doesn't need a doctor's referral, didn't you? Although my Nicaraguan doc would do it, I'm sure.

Again, thank you!

Hysterical Woman

Hi Calzy,

Thanks for the info. I would consider it if I knew more about it and could beg, borrow, or steal....oh OK, beg and borrow the money to do it. I am not highly concerned about the clinic being outside of the US. I can't imagine that Cheney would be using it if it was set up in someone's garage. ;) I have managed to lose 19+ years of my life in this country with almost no help at all from our medical system.- Maxine

WHO rates health care in Costa Rica one step above that of the US, which, if I remember right was 17 or 19 in the world.

Hi oerganix,

Actually they are rated 36th & 37th in the world. Costa Rica being 36th.

Sad state of affairs.

Thanks for reminding me?

Maxine

cfs since 1998

Dr.Cheney's latest newsletter just came out and it talks about his work with stem cells.

It certainly seems interesting, especially since I'm currently under 30 but not for long!

For one, I was under the impression that Cheney had treated quite a bit more than just 13 people with stem cells. Secondly, what does he mean by "the second cure so far"? How on in the heck can he determine if someone has been "cured" or not? Seems a bit outrageous.
It would be more appropriate to call it "full remission" rather than "cure", especially if the cause is a retrovirus you can never get rid of.