• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Status of Rituximab-ME/CFS Studies

lansbergen

I wonder how other immune stimulants/modulators like ampligen and immunovir etc but mainly ampligen, im thinking as many people improve on this and this increase nk cell and t cell function, but doesnt affect/kill b-cells, maybe it does something to stop new b-cells being infected, if its b cells being infected is the theory, or depleting b-cells somehow turns on the lazy t cells and nk cells to work properly??
The immune system is a complicated web?? Its really speculation how ritux works in cfs/me.
I think they need to really look at treatments like ritux and ampligen that have dramatically improved some people and work backwards, trying to figure out how they help cfs/me.

From the paper anciendaze found

Here we show that, upon cell contact, T cells acquire from Bcells small RNAs that can impact the expression of target genes in the recipient T cells. Synthetic microRNA (miRNA) mimetics,viral miRNAs expressed by infected B cells, and endogenous miRNAs could all be transferred into T cells. These mechanisms may allow small RNA-mediated communication between immune cells.The documented transfer of viral miRNAs raises the possible exploitation of these pathways for viral manipulation of the host immune response.

My guess: If new Tcells are spared from this they might work properly but it will take time to get enouigh healthy Tcells.

liquid sky

"Ocrelizumab has previously been investigated as a treatment for rheumatoid arthritis but studies were discontinued because of a high incidence of opportunistic infections in participants. Opportunistic infections are infections that do not normally occur in a healthy person but may occur when the immune system is compromised."

This new B cell depletion drug, Ocrelizumab, has not been safer than Rituxan. Rituxan has been approved for years in RA with a good safety profile. http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/ACR/35895