• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Stanford Study on PEM and Crashes Recruiting

Rebeccare

Moose Enthusiast
I recently saw that Snyder Lab at Stanford University is recruiting people for their study on PEM and crashes. Participants have to be in the United States with ME/CFS, Long Covid, or chronic Lyme, and must have PEM that lasts at least 24 hours. It looks like they'll send you a kit to collect fingerprick blood samples, a FitBit, and a S-Patch which collects ECG data as well as daily questionnaires.

https://snyderlabs.stanford.edu/crashcourse/

Pyrrhus

The Snyder lab seems to have an interest in using wearable technology for health purposes.

Here is some more brief info about this study:
Individuals with Long COVID, ME/CFS, or PTLDS may experience symptom flares accompanied by profound fatigue that is triggered by activity, stress, or other factors. These flares, symptoms and fatigue are called post-exertional malaise (PEM) or a “crash”.

The Crash Course study aims to understand why crashes occur, the differences in crashes between and within individuals, and ultimately how to predict and prevent crashes using wearable devices.