• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sponge bathing

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
We've been doing this for a few months now yet I still beat myself up and cry everytime he washes me.. I feel I'm lazy, disgusting or a burden to him.

Actually it sounds very beautiful that you have a partner that loves you so much that he stays with you and cares for you. I have heard of so many couples where one partner gets SEIDS and the other abandons them (the husband of author Lauren Hillenbrand did for example).

If you don't smell I wouldn't worry about it.

Just had my first shower n hair wash since mid december and then just saw this thread...I also note that I may belong to feminist trend as havent shaved my pits for ages and ive seen this week that dyed brightly coloured pit hair is trendy..we me women could be at the forefront of a movement whilst being totally unaware ..well if i could manage to dye the pit hair with some natural food colouring i will post a pic to amuse everyone

i-lava-u

I read recently that you can use either witch hazel or rubbing alcohol to "freshen up" armpits inbetween bathing

So, I tested it out

I have rubbing alcohol on hand and put some on a cotton ball and to my surprise it worked GREAT!

Hope4

Desert of SW USA
I read recently that you can use either witch hazel or rubbing alcohol to "freshen up" armpits inbetween bathing

So, I tested it out

I have rubbing alcohol on hand and put some on a cotton ball and to my surprise it worked GREAT!

I use hydrogen peroxide as I can't take the alcohol and witch hazel burns my skin. Milk of magnesia, just dabbed on, can be used as a deodorant. Some dab on damp baking soda.

I've also tried colloidal silver water for underarm deodorant.

====

I use baking soda for tooth brushing.

I take sink baths often. I know several who only take sink baths in the winter, waiting until the weather is warm enough for a comfortable shower. I also have known quite a few people who always take sink baths, and never use a shower stall or a bathtub.

When I was a child, many of the older people only took sink baths. And they all used baking soda for tooth brushing, tho' some switched to commercial tooth powders later on.

Last edited:

Jemima37

@Jemima37
You have a good man there. True love for a spouse.
Thank you all, sorry I've not been around. I've been taking time out to rest and recover.

My husband is an amazing man. Hes been my rock. I'd be lost without him.

Mini update. I'm back showering and hair washing. Which is great. 2 hair washes a week and 3 or 4 showers, although I've had one every morning this week so far as the house has been warm. I'm managing to help a little at home but still not out and about but I'm pacing myself.

Thank you all for your kind support last year when my world fell apart. I'm a work in progress but I'm trying to improve things slowly. My husband and children are so happy and we are much closer for all weve got through together. Thank you all for being there too. Christmas went ok but I had to rest a lot, so thank you all for advice regarding that fear I had too.

Love to you all.

Jem xxxx

valentinelynx

Showers wipe me out. I'm higher functioning than a lot of people here, I think, but I gave up showers many years ago because they made me feel worse. I do take tub baths nightly. Baths help me relax so I can sleep and soothe the aches. I usually add Epsom Salts.

As for my hair, since I gave up showers, I've been washing my hair in the bathroom sink. I used to do it daily, but now I only do it when I'm going out, or if it gets dirty looking. I noticed that with menopause, my hair stopped getting dirty (oily) as quickly and I could go many days without shampooing. Then, this past year I started taking testosterone shots (my testosterone & other hormones were very low), and I notice that my hair is getting dirty more quickly again. Oh well.

eon

Regarding witch hazel; how do I use or apply this to my skin? Is this as good as isopropyl alcohol for cleaning or it's totally different?

I just bought a bottle at Walmart.

eon

I wonder how to use witch hazel for "evening out the skin" (whatever that means lol). My forearms are darker than my arms. I guess this could use some witch hazel? Am I better off with a body wash with witch hazel or what? Any suggestions?