• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sore muscles everyday upon waking up?

Jwarrior77

Basically every single day when I wake up all the muscles in my body are sore and fatigued. It's like I had just ran a marathon the day prior only I hadn't. They also feel inflamed as if the muscle tissue is breaking down. It usually subsides halfway through the day and then repeats again. I have no idea what's causing this. I don't exercise because I can't and I don't do anything really strenuous. Why does it feel like I got hit by a train each day when I wake up. Anyone else experience this?

minimus

I have a similar experience - muscle pain, muscle fatigue, and muscle function are always worst in the morning - but are especially bad if I “overexerted” (did much of anything) the day before or got too little sleep. The symptoms usually improve during the day. This symptom tends to be worse for me in warm/hot weather and if I didnt drink enough water the day before. I am not sure why - maybe it is a result of autonomic dysfunction that is worsened by dehydration from not drinking at all after I go to bed, or maybe it reflects low cortisol levels in the AM.

I find that drinking a lot of water in the AM helps a bit as the day progresses. Maybe try to stay well hydrated and try to sleep in a reasonably cool bedroom if possible.

morgan_25

Basically every single day when I wake up all the muscles in my body are sore and fatigued. It's like I had just ran a marathon the day prior only I hadn't. They also feel inflamed as if the muscle tissue is breaking down. It usually subsides halfway through the day and then repeats again. I have no idea what's causing this. I don't exercise because I can't and I don't do anything really strenuous. Why does it feel like I got hit by a train each day when I wake up. Anyone else experience this?
I definitely experience this as well. Sometimes my whole body feels super stiff and sometimes it’s just in agonizing pain. I myself don’t have a complete 100% understanding of why this happens, but I have heard it can happen with people who have maybe have had EBV for years and the virus now lives in our tissue, causing body aches. Not sure if I’m spot on with that though so take it as a grain of salt.

Diwi9

Administrator
Muscle pain, muscle spasms, muscle weakness, and joint pain are common for me. I have not found a treatment that works. I was on pyridostigmine and discontinued because it seemed to worsen my muscle spasms. I haven't found any oral medication or supplement that helps. I use a roll-on CBD/THC salve by Mary's Medicinals called Muscle Freeze and Pain Terminator patches (these are awesome and available on Amazon). I also use braces for tennis elbow, Blackberry thumb, shoulder, and hip band at times. Pressure on the muscles helps the pain/spasms. My prior physical therapist recommended dry needling, but I haven't tried it.

Howard

suffering ceases when craving is removed
Basically every single day when I wake up all the muscles in my body are sore and fatigued. It's like I had just ran a marathon the day prior only I hadn't

I understand where you are coming from, as I had the same issues from 2013 through late 2018. There are a number of factors that came together in helping me resolve this particular matter, mainly, I began sleeping restfully at night in very short order.

And I attribute my success to ingesting tart cherry powder (capsules). Other factors likely included dietary changes (elimination of simple carbs) and nightly guided meditation immediately prior to sleeping.

I still have terrible PEM episodes after muscle usage (or when having any direct pressure applied to my muscles), but at least I wake up feeling refreshed.

And I'm not a professional anything, so please do your own research. :)

H

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Jwarrior77 - My muscles will ache and I will be extra tired when I am acidic. I discovered this when I was taking high dose vitamin C - lots of it every couple of hours - while tapering off of lorazepam. The vitamin C helped with glutamate-induced neurotoxicity - essentially it helped me sleep.

Anyways, shortly after starting this regimen, I found myself waking up very achy and very tired and managed to figure out that all the ascorbic acid was making my body acidic. I countered this with baking soda, I think 1/2 teaspoon in 8 ounces of water, maybe a couple of doses, I can't remember, but eventually the achiness and fatigue would go away.

When I have PEM I also will wake up achy and tired, but this is different. Baking soda doesn't touch PEM for me, though it does help some people. I think lactic acid is involved. So baking soda might help you (or not) though I think it may be worth a try.

You can also get the Ph test strips which can give an indication whether you're acidic or alkaline -