• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Small inconsistencies in sleep cause flares

ChrisD

We all know how important sleep is to this illness in order to feel slightly normal, since making some leaps and bounds with sleep using various supplements and diet, I can now sleep through from 12-8am however my fitbit tells me I am waking up regularly.

What I have started to realise is that the slightest change in conditions can aggravate my nervous system and cause a big flare. Our house can get quite cold sometimes and I can go to bed a bit chilly but under a thick duvet and a hot water bottle.

Of course at some point in the night I wake up feeling hot and that change seems to be an issue. Upon waking I have floaters in my eyes, a dry mouth, dark urine, I'm dizzy, uncoordinated (like MS feeling) and sometimes it flares my Fibro (That I don't really have any more generally). It then takes gallons of water and hours of resting to recover.

This is something that would never affect me when healthy and if anything would be quite nice to be under a toasty duvet, nothing extremely hot about the temperature.

What could this be? That ME is cellular dehydration and it pushes my cells over the edge? That the ANS/CNS is so sensitive that it flares everything up?

BadBadBear

Do you consume any liquids around bedtime? I find I can consume up to a quart(!) of well salted electrolyte and I'm less dehydrated in the morning.

I have the same issue at time with night sweats & hot spells, and dehydration.

Do you just drink water in the morning or do you also take in some electrolytes?

lafarfelue

I've found that drinking a certain amount of electrolytes before bed has helped me with my sleep. Keeps me more able to regulate my temperature and retain the fluids for longer without needing to pee so often as when I drank just plain water.

I also have 3 layers of bedding to help me regulate my temps as well. I used to enjoy just one duvet, but it's just too hot/my body can't completely self-regulate throughout the nights anymore.

Wishful

If I have significant amounts of fat in a late-day meal, that wakes me up in the night feeling overly hot. It feels like my internal furnace has been set to 'maximum output'. I then have to toss off layers of bedding, which means waking up again a bit later when I get too cold and need to pull some layers back over me. It's much easier to just avoid fatty meals late in the day.

ChrisD

Which supplements are you taking?
Quite a lot of supplements, would you like to know what has improved my sleep or trying to identify what could be the problem?

@BadBadBear @lafarfelue I take a lot of electrolytes as I am on the ketogenic diet.

@Wishful Interesting, I eat most of my fats in the morning and focus more on my carb and protein intake in the evening

Runner5

There are a lot of supplements that cause dehydration and pull extra water out but if you take electrolytes it's probably not an issue. I have bad kidneys and dark urine is a very bad sign, so guess I was wondering if your supplements were putting the whammy on your kidneys. On Keto how many grams of protein are you taking in per day, is it over 100grams? Have you got your urine tested, a CBC?

Hope you are feeling better.