• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sleeping like I'm in winter hibernation .

Emmarose47

Hi
I'm out of the worst of recent relapse and the pain has gone thank god.
I've been doing my usual wake up after 7 hrs sleep and feel good and like I could go for a run . . a sign that I'm out the worst .
However the past couple days I'm going back to sleep for up to 3 hrs and so having 9 / 10 hrs ... I feel worried about it , it scares me when I sleep such long periods . Today I felt so over slept you know that thick head feeling ..
Maybe I just need it , maybe it's because it's winter . Also I am having some crazy dreams and am v active in them so maybe I need this other sleep to just go to a deeper sleep .
I don't think I'm over doing it in the day ? I had 10 hrs last nite and have had 2 lay downs today , one where I fell asleep . Maybe this is that stage I've heard of ' tired and wired .... I don't feel particularly unwell from CFS as I feel have energy when awake ...
My body feels quite good it feels more mental tired ...
Id like to hear others experience , knowledge ...

Thanks a lot

Booble

We all need different amount of sleep and that can change from time to time.
That's great that your body feels good. In my experience although that deep tired in the head feels really bad and like something is wrong, it soon catches up.

I know that for whatever reason if I get 9.5 hours sleep that's my sweet spot. But unfortunately I rarely do.

I tend to sleep more when I'm done with a PEM episode or a cold or something like that. I think it's regeneration, in my case at least. I welcome it as that. These bodies of ours don't or can't heal, but here it finally does a bit of healthy healing.
Same as you the tiredness is not primarily physical. But I don't have those dreams :)

lenora

HI....I'm just recovering from a nasty cold and found that while I was tired out beforehand, I really slept during the worst of the cold. Mind you, I had taken cough medicine....but it has been a few nights now.

I find that I sleep better in the winter...it makes sense, really, doesn't it? So curl up, be cozy and sleep away. L.

L'engle

moogle
However the past couple days I'm going back to sleep for up to 3 hrs and so having 9 / 10 hrs ... I feel worried about it , it scares me when I sleep such long periods .

Anything up to 10 hours is considered normal, beyond that they call it hypersomnia. You probably need the rest. I did that today and am always just glad when I can get 8-10 hours sleep.