• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sinusitis not due to infection: what to do?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I don't seem to have any gut issues that I'm aware of. Hard to tell if there might be something going on that I don't know about, or course!

Rand56

I don't know if this is specifically related to the topic discussed but figured I'd toss this in......

"The majority of humans are infected with chronic sinusitis. 25-30% of "normal" humans have staph in their nasal passages. Low back pain is often present. The veins of the lower body and the upper sinus are connected"

"Treatment for nasal staph consists of 4 main things:
  • Remove "gunk" from nasal mucous membranes. May use a neti pot. 1/2 teaspoon of salt with 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda, Alkala, or Tri-Salts and 1 teaspoon of xylitol. Xylitol bloats bacteria and they then die. Molds and staph are drawn to xylitol and are then killed. Use warm water."
http://betterhealthguy.com/joomla/blog/242-a-deep-look-beyond-lyme

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
interesting rand.
My doc say staph infections are very common in cfsers with chronic sinusitis and he has had good success using docycyline long term which i am doing and going well with it. i must also agree that we need to keep flushing our nose as much as we can.

cheers!!!

Rand56

Maybe this is old news to a lot of you, but I found another good read pertaining to the use of Xylitol to help fight off bacteria. There is also more info on this site by clicking on "Home" on this page. I'm definitely going to be adding xyiltol to the mix when using a neti pot, but has anyone ever used any xylitol containing nasal spray? I might even try just using a mix of distilled water and xylitol and fill up a nasal spray container and give myself some sprays of it on occasion just for preventive maintenance to keep bacteria at bay since the nose can be a breeding ground for it.

http://www.nasal-xylitol.com/negotiating.htm#whatxylitol

ukxmrv

I've used Xylitol both added to water in my irrigator and in a commercial nasal spray that I bought. It doesn't seem to work any better or faster than when I put sea salt and tea tree in the irrigator. I liked he nasal spray for when I am too weak to get out of bed to use other methods though.

Waverunner

I had sinus surgery for a deviated septum as well. I could breath a little bit better but the main cause for my sinusitis were allergies or food intolerances e.g. gluten. You should carefully listen to your body and find out if your sinuses get better when you switch diet. If they don't get better, you could have a deviated septum. Nasal polyps should have gotten better by now through the steroids, so they are no likely cause. In the end it would be good to to do an endoscopy or CT of your nose.

Rand56

Can one form biofilm layers in the nasal passages where bacteria is hanging out and having a party..haha? I'm guessing it's very possible but I don't really know. If so, I wonder if adding some Cistus tea to a neti pot mix or a nasal spray mix? I'm sure it would be drying since when drinking it, it feels drying to the mouth.

MNC

On another thread, Hip says that three anti-inflammatory supplements have helped him/her (sorry, Hip!) with anxiety and notes also that his/her anxiety was worse on days with worse sinus inflammation. Here are the supplements:

• The first and most potent anti-anxiety supplement is N-acetylglucosamine, taken at a dose of 1000 mg twice daily (not be confused with glucosamine, a related supplement).
• The second most potent is flaxseed oil, one level tablespoon (15 ml) daily.
• The third is the herb turmeric, at a dose of 1000 mg twice daily.

I'm wondering if anti-inflammatory supplements might be better for my non-infection-based sinusitis than long-term Flexinase or if there are other approaches I could also try.

Any ideas?

Hi,

Just to tell that I ordered these supplements in iHerb and I am trying this protocol. I started yesterday and will keep you informed. I decided to try it because I have suffered awful anxiety (GAD, Panic attacks, insomnia...) for 35 years and at the same time I suffer awful sinusitis-like symptoms for 15 years. After 15 years of hundreds of tests (x-ray, MRI, CT scans...) I was never found sinus infection. Doctors think it is related to my severe dysautonomia, CFS and respiratory system hyperreactivity including asthma-like (not real asthma), allergies-like (not real allergies) condition.

This is what I am taking:

- Jarrow N.A.G 750 mg 3xday (2,250 mg/day): http://goo.gl/fWQyC
- Organic Flax Seed Oil 1 spoon x day (15 ml): http://goo.gl/W5I2R
- Organic Root Turmeric 2 half teaspoons x day (approx 3000 mg I estimate): http://goo.gl/hGsnj

I will let you know. So far I feel nothing after one day and a half.

Regards.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I have respiratory allergies (hypersensitivities) that can cause sinus infections. MSM is my first line of defense against them. This does contain sulfur, which can be a problem for some people. I also take ginkgo biloba (sp) and rotate echinacea with something else (currently bromelain & tumeric).

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Update: I started on a grain-free diet on Sunday and since then, haven't had my usual problem of not being able to lie on my side at night because pretty quickly, my nose would get congested and I couldn't breathe. Yesterday I didn't do my usual nasal rinse and I was OK (I would usually expect to get a sinus headache). Early days, but promising.

I had no reason to think I might have any gluten issues other than that, during my first illness many years ago, I gave up gluten, noticed no benefit, went back on it and immediately felt awful! I stayed off it for years and when I went into temporary remission, went back on it with no problem. It recently occurred to me that I should have given gluten-free longer to show benefits so I'm intending to stick to this for at least a year. But I'm pleased to already be seeing perhaps a positive sign. :)

Nielk

Update: I started on a grain-free diet on Sunday and since then, haven't had my usual problem of not being able to lie on my side at night because pretty quickly, my nose would get congested and I couldn't breathe. Yesterday I didn't do my usual nasal rinse and I was OK (I would usually expect to get a sinus headache). Early days, but promising.

I had no reason to think I might have any gluten issues other than that, during my first illness many years ago, I gave up gluten, noticed no benefit, went back on it and immediately felt awful! I stayed off it for years and when I went into temporary remission, went back on it with no problem. It recently occurred to me that I should have given gluten-free longer to show benefits so I'm intending to stick to this for at least a year. But I'm pleased to already be seeing perhaps a positive sign. :)

My experience is very similar to yours Sasha. I too have chronic sinus issues. In the past, I have tried staying away from Gluten with no major difference. Since November, I have been more strict with this diet and my sinus and headache issues had improved. Over the past two months, it has been very difficult for me to stick to my diet because of other issues going on in my life and I started to notice a rapid and observable decline. I am now back on the strict diet the past week and am starting to feel better - sinus and headache-wise.

I have been tested (blood test) in the past for gluten allergy and it was negative. I would guess that I am gluten sensitive? The way it affects me is with my sinuses.

ukxmrv

This is a bizarre thing to report but here goes. Has any noticed or any idea why ICE CREAM would set off a sinus attack? The symptom is lots of gunk coming down the back of my throat. The sinus area and nose becoming blocked and then infected in a few days (green stuff).

Sorry if TMI. I know that dairy products are often mentioned as a trigger for sinusitis. I usually avoid them as I have had a life long dislike, but can eat a little cream or drink a little milk with no ill effects. Ice cream though - the reaction is fast and severe.