• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sill searching for someone else whose blood pressure goes way up from aged foods (tyramines)

vision blue

It would help alot if i could connect with such a person, so if you are one, or hear of one, please let me know.

i'm guessing, but dont know for sure, that that person likely also had over reactive mast cells.

that's in part becasue tyramines are also related to histamines (both amines of a certain sort) . But this isn'ta histamine intolerance. i think that if anything would lead to low bp with food, not a high bp spike.

it's possible others with this don'thave mast cell issue but jsut have sympathetic overload and autonomic dysfunction- but there's lots of those people on here who have that but so far i dont' think anyone else who bp spikes are caused by aged foods.

so if you are one, or know of one, or come across one, would really like to be in touch and compare notes.

note i've never been on mao inhibitors and i should in principle (i.e. my genetics) have enuf mao- a enzyme. Anyway, one thing at a time. would like to compare notes with anyone else in the world who has the same thing.

not sure if it falls under the rubric "amine sensitivity" or not, but specifically want those whose bp goes up alot from it too.
I suppose anyhone with known tyramine senstivity of any sort would be worrth talking to again, but very curious to find my doppleganger with respect to bp spikes.

vision blue

@racerbiker39 Really? I pretty much gave up thinking there’d ever be someone. I know its a thing that some get migraines with tyramines, but mine goes beyond that I cant type much right now but will read hopefully soon if you have a description about whats going on

(In terms of what causes it, youve probably already considered step 1 , which is any reason to suspect you are low in mao-a enzyme)

Look forward to hearing how (and what) is affecting you.

Rufous McKinney

isn't glutamate also involved somehow? I've really noticed having to super watch glutamate recently....

I don't know if its driving up my BP.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
This talks about something called Brunner Syndrome. Maybe you've already heard of that.

https://medlineplus.gov/genetics/condition/monoamine-oxidase-a-deficiency/#resources

This talks about high/low MAO-A but I didn't read it. There's too much there and my brain was starting to drown in all the words. Sorry. https://selfhacked.com/blog/about-mao-a-and-what-to-do-if-you-have-the-warrior-gene/

Here's another page from that site: https://selfdecode.com/app/gene/maoa/
(edit: It said at the end of this one, "Riboflavin is needed for MAOA, so make sure you take a good B Complex.")

Hopefully something is helpful. (edit #2 though maybe not a B Complex as many of us react to some of the other B-vitamins.) ??/

Edit #3: A thread that warns about too much Riboflavin. I like what Gondwanaland said a little way down the page. Interesting.

Last edited:

vision blue

@Judee Been thru all the MAO- A work Was the first thing i looked into years back. I forgot at the moment about riboflavin Bringing back vague memory that when tried to find the source of the info it was always from one person, maybe Yasko who i do not trust. But interesting point About b-complex getting some of us into trouble. I never know what to do about B vitamins abd some supplements have such megadoses (and not evenly) that its like navigating thru landmines.

in my case the riole mao/a may or may not be playing is complicated. Its not the whole story but have so e evidence sometimes my enzyme cannot keep pace with the large amounts of catecholamines i seem to put out

interestingly, people with pheocromocytoma also get dangerous blood pressure reactions to tyramines. They to have too many catecholamines, in their case from a Adrenal tumor, (rather than tooittke mao-a) )

Never heard the term brunner syndrome before.

update: just looked it up. I know the disordee- didnt know it was called that. Dont remember it having a name.

ofdities for me include i have high dopamine and norepinephrine but low serotonin. Yet i have very low tyrosine - and relatively high Tyramine.

looking forward to hearing @racerbiker39 story

thwres so much to say so will just mention one other thing for now. People with familial dysautonomia (FD) also cannot tolerate tyramines.

Last edited:

linusbert

just wanted to chime in,
i suspect my BP (not HR thou) to go up from supplements like magnesium and potassium.
at first i thought electrolyte imbalance, but now i am thinking that it might be late histaminic reaction (mcas even?) maybe due to the CITRATE or other compounds used in the supplement.

i suspect it might also go up from certain foods. i did not investigate this thou but i will keep it in mind now.

are there any safe supplements, like for magnesium and potassium? which forms are best?

cheeseater

Tyramine is in lots of things that are not aged, and is well known for raising blood pressure. Many people sensitive to tyramine (who are not taking MAOI's) are also sensitive to the amino acid phenylalanine which is present in aspartame and MSG..

Some foods high in tyramine include alcoholic beverages, bananas, cheese, chicken, chocolate, citrus fruits, cold cuts, herring, onions, peanut butter, pork, smoked fish, sour cream, vinegar, wine, and fresh baked yeast products.

Tyramine causes the blood pressure to rise, often resulting in a dull headache. I took that nearly verbatim from "Prescription for Nutritional Healing" by Balch. In the headache section, recommendations.

cheeseater

Linusburt, try the cheapest 99mg potassium you can find. For magnesium try magnesium oxide. If you take too much magnesium oxide it will act like a laxative, but normal amounts will not do that.