• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Show Your Socks!!!

creekfeet

Sockfeet
LOL Liverock, my kid went through a year or two of wearing socks like that on purpose. I think it came from Dobby: "Harry Potter, the store has made a mistake. They have given you two the same." (Or words to that effect.) I have to admit, she had me doing it too. We can't do much, but we can have fun with our socks.

spindrift

Plays With Voodoo Dollies
Ha,ha Liverock if you walk around in public with those socks and no shoes you might raise
more awareness than you actually intended to. ;)

Tammie

I have mine partially made now, but have run into a couple of issues I am not sure how to solve......

the material I used is tweed (one of the suggested materials), but the edges are unraveling already - I can sew them, but I don't know if that will be sufficient, so I am wondering how else to reinforce them

and also the material is not stiff enough to hang properly without reinforcement......I have two layers (bc otherwise you could see the design from the opposite side thru the fabric, so I could sew somethign in between them, but I am not sure what to use

any ideas?

if not, I think I will wind up getting a blank sock and re-doing the design (would really rather not, though, bc it has already taken a ton of energy to do this much).....not complaining, though - I am loving this project!

spindrift

Tammie, how about turning the sock inside out and putting glue along the edges in addition to sewing them.
If the sock is not stiff enough, cut a templet out of thin plastic like used in clear gift boxes (do not use paper
as the socks might get wet when being displayed) and stick it into the sock. Make sure that it stops below reaching
the top of the sock so there is room at the top for TF to attach it to the garland.

Hope this helps

jace

Off the fence
More ideas for dealing with fraying fabric :
Make the thing a tad smaller
Gluestick edge and allow to dry, ala Spindrift
Blanket stitch or overcast edge. Here's blanket-stitch photo info, overcasting is the same except you don't bother catching the loop with the new stitch
Fabrics that are mostly synthetic melt. Carefully try passing a scrap through a flame.

talkingfox

Tammie, there's a product called Fraycheck that works wonders. Alternatively you can run a zigzag stitch on your machine along the seam edge.

Another thing you can do to reinforce is to use another layer of scrap fabric on the inside of the sock and secure it there with a fusible interfacing....which just happens to come in different weights.

Good Luck!

Tammie

Thanks for all the suggestions re stopping the fraying and re making the fabric stiffer.....when I find a bit more energy again, I will definitely try to work on it further

K

_Kim_

I made a sock. Out of an old pair of Levi's.

I used to have tons of sewing and beading supplies but I got rid of most of it along the way. So, in looking for adornments for my sock, I dug deep into my sewing basket and found a bag of silver bells (from India) that I've had for more than 20 years. What was I saving them for? Then I found a bag of trim and ribbon (same vintage) and I was set.

I didn't know how I was going to use the bells, but I guess mucking around in 20 yr old memories made me think of the Grateful Dead song Scarlet Begonias:
She had rings on her fingers and bell on her shoes (socks in this case)
And I knew without askin' she was into the blues
She wore Scarlet Begonias tucked into her curls
I knew right away she was not like other girls - other girls.
Sock..JPG

Sock closeup1..jpg

Sock closeup3..jpg

Lily

*Believe*
That's really darling, Kim! It reminds me of a line from a nursery rhyme (I think that's what it is anyway....) "With rings on her fingers and bells on her toes, she shall have music where ever she goes"...

K

_Kim_

That's really darling, Kim! It reminds me of a line from a nursery rhyme (I think that's what it is anyway....) "With rings on her fingers and bells on her toes, she shall have music where ever she goes"...

Hey Lily! Good call!!

That line in Scarlet Begonias is a reference to the nursery rhyme, "Banbury Cross":

Ride a cock--horse to Banbury Cross,
To see an old lady upon a white horse.
Rings on her fingers, and bells on her toes,
She shall have music wherever she goes."

frenchtulip

Old Levi's

Kim,
I love that you made your sock out of an old pair of Levi's. Progress on my sock is slow. But I now have my idea together, so hopefully I can get it made this week.

Oh, now I can see your sock, Kim. It is very creative!

spindrift

Wow Kim, I LOVE the bells.

Talkingfox, could you update us every now and then how many socks you have altogether?

spindrift

Sock Heaven

So I am totally incapable of knitting or sewing socks but with the help of a wonderful friend
and my mobility scooter I was able to take a 'road trip' to Santa Cruz and go on a sock
shopping spree. The Sockshop and Shoe Company in Santa Cruz has just got to be the
coolest sock stores in the world. The nice sales person there gave me a contact and said
they might consider donating to our sock project :victory:. Today I am totally wiped out
but I will contact them soon. For now I would like to share photos of the fun place. Pics
of socks later...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCN0860..jpg
    DSCN0860..jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCN0863..jpg
    DSCN0863..jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCN0865..jpg