• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Should I split my B12 intake into separate doses throughout the day

November Girl

I have recently switched from a liquid Form of liposomal B12. I now take liposomal B12 via an oral spray. 3 sprays make up what day's dose. Would there be any benefit to taking these throughout the day instead of all at once?

Sundancer

I've tried that, for the same reason that caledonia did. But sleeplessness and more feeling sick was the result. So I went back to the old regimen which sits better with me. The first days I felt fantastic though...lots more energy

Sundancer

@November Girl

yes, I take it in the morning, before breakfast ( I'm never hungry in the morning so my breakfast is late) when I take too much or take another dose after breakfast I cannot sleep. So I try to very slowly raise the dose up to 5 mg. Then I want to switch to injections.

GreenMachineX

I’m struggling with b12 and insomnia now. Well, I did in the past but wasn’t exactly sure that was the issue but now am positive. But, it wakes me up at 2am instead of preventing me to sleep. I’m going to try taking it later in the day. Maybe the circadian disruption is multiple hours later? The mood and energy brightening effects though happen within an hour of taking, so I really don’t understand this at all. I’m also only using 250mcg Methyl -b12. No astronomical dosages!

Sundancer

carefully trying out what your body needs.

I know that when I up the dose I'll have both problems falling asleep and waking up in the night. These must abate in a few days, else the dosage is too high.

that's my body, you just keep trying to find out what your body wants.
any other setbacks ? like cramps or dryness?

for me the same though, the mood and brightening effects came fast and thus we are on the right track.

GreenMachineX

Interesting. I don’t think I ever stuck with it more than a couple days so maybe I didn’t give it long enough to get used to?

The only other set back was when I finally got out of bed (I did manage to get another hour of sleep from 5am to 6am), all my muscles felt a bit tight and achy but that went away quickly when showering and whatnot.

I’ve had brain fog all morning but that could easily be from adjusting to a ketogenic diet. Lastly, when I get b12 insomnia, I get this strange buzz in my teeth or urge to grind them. I really don’t know how to explain it. No real cramps or dryness or anything else.

I’m scared to death of taking supplemental potassium. Side effects of too much (death, for example) I’m just not a fan of! lol

It’s obvious I need more than I’ve been getting though (no libido, no energy, can’t get out of bed, etc).

Sundancer

scared of potassium, yeah, I had that too:(. But find that just 15 % of daily intake covers my need :). I use potassiumgluconate, and find that when I need it it tastes real good, when I don't need it it is like...oh well, can drink that later.

due to a virus I have an enormous setback, but before that I had some weeks of real nice sleep ( havn't had that in years) and found that in the nights I had a real good sleep the potassium need was much higher then in bad nights. For me it's all about finding balance, you simply cannot force your way through ( takes lots of patience...

I did not get the grinding thing, but do get somewhat heightened muscle-tension, and I think those are markers of the same process, some bodily stress. The body needs to get used to ' higher input/higher energy', something like that.

I remember having had brainfog too from too high a dose.
you may try to halve your dose and keep it at that for 6 days, then see how it goes.

and doing two things at the same time muddles your N=1 experiment, but you're aware of that. happens to me too

GreenMachineX

Thanks for the reply. I kind of wonder if the teeth grinding thing is just muscle tightness just like all the other muscles, and I’m just not used to it.
Do you take the potassium when you think you need it? Or at certain times every day?

I’m bad about doing 2 tests at once, or sometimes more . I’ve dropped my b12 dose to 80mcg with breakfast and lunch. It was just enough to get more energy, but not like yesterday. Hopefully, if I wake up at 2am again, just 1mg melatonin works tonight. But, insomnia or not, I’ll stick with this dose for 6 days like you’ve said and see what happens. Thanks again.

Sundancer

think when you get lower in dose it takes some time to get the bloodlevel lower.

At first I experimented with the potassium, now I have a routine. When I heighten the dose again, I'll be more alert on symptoms and maybe find I need a little more. At the moment I take a little less.

I take a mug with me to bed, to drink first thing in the morning, after a good night my calves are hard, sort of cramplike and the heart racing and it tastes wonderful, so I slurp the mug down.

at the moment due to added illness my sleep is very bad again, so I need less.

halfway the day I take a small mug and in the evening before bed a large mug.

go slow and keep at a certain regimen to let your body get used to it