• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

shortness of breath

fibrodude84

Is this normal with over methylation? I am scared because I feel like I'm struggling to get oxygen and almost went to the ER. I took 1 potassium pill, and niacin to see if it helps.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I get that without doing methylation. It's one of those things, the feeling someone stuck a vacuum into my lungs and sucked all the air out, that I've yet to figure how why and how to fix l, although I get some relief with famvir.

Gingergrrl

Is this normal with over methylation? I am scared because I feel like I'm struggling to get oxygen and almost went to the ER. I took 1 potassium pill, and niacin to see if it helps.

@fibrodude84 Do you have a pulse ox machine (what you put on your finger) to see what your oxygen saturation is? When my O2 dropped down to 84 after IV saline, the nurse did rush me to the ER so it is important to check.

Also, is this only happening with over-methylation and are you having tachycardia too? I was not able to tolerate the methylation supplements at all and completely had to stop them.

I had very bad shortness of breath (a feeling like I ran up a flight of stairs) for several months and the only thing that has recently helped me is changing my Atenolol dosage. It has really made a dramatic difference but I don't know if you take a beta blocker or what meds you are on?

If you really cannot get air, I do think you should go to the ER and this is nothing to mess around with (and I hate the ER more than anyone and don't say that casually!) I am worried about you.

Victronix

I'd recommend decreasing your B-12 / methylfolate amounts and giving yourself some time to normalize, then start at a smaller amount, like half of whatever you are taking now.

Lots of people go to the ER with sorting out methylation -- it's a normal response to the extreme sensations that can happen. The problem with the ER is that it greatly increases the stress response, feeling like something is really wrong. What I did one time is walked all the blocks around the hospital with my partner, not going in but knowing if I had to, it was right there. After a lot of potassium gluconate, and a lot of slow walking, I calmed down.

I also get things where I feel like I'm short of breath, but it's actually my stomach is bloated or distended, dumping acid, and makes it hard to take a full breath and I don't realize it until I try.

But methylation can cause shortness of breath. I've had that, no fun.

Gondwanaland

I went 3x to the ER with this symptom. The ER was of no help at all.

Haven't pinpointed it yet, but what helped me was taking measures to reduce ammonia.

I think it's due to an "overwhelmed" liver, with too much from a nutrient (folate) causing cascade imbalances in other nutrients (mainly magnesium, vitamin B1 and potassium, possibly manganese). It is also linked to a lowered liver capacity of conveting T4 into T3.

Epsom salts and magnesium glycinate/chelate made me worse.

fibrodude84

I'm kind of hoping that's what it is. I stopped my multi, folate and b12 to see what happens. I feel like I'm breathing aggressively to feel comfortable. Maybe I'll take some klonopin too in case anxiety is making it worse and a mucinex D to decongest.

Gondwanaland

I went thru my notes and taking a bath with 1/2 - 3/4 cup of sodium bicarbonate was extremely relieving. If you don't have a bathtub, try a foot bath with 1 - 2 Tbsp of Na bicarb.

One capsule of activated charcoal might help as well.

zzz

Shortness of breath (or air hunger, or dyspnea) is one of the more common symptoms in ME/CFS. It's listed in the CCC as "dyspnea". It can be extremely debilitating, but is generally not dangerous. It seems to be related to low blood volume. Drinking a lot of fluids with proper electrolytes often helps many people. Also, the closer to a horizontal position you can get, the faster this tends to resolve. I.e., sitting is better than standing, and lying down is better than sitting.

Last edited: