• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Severe MCS & Told I need a tooth implant - HELP

helsbells

:(
Sorry this isn't a symptom directly but not sure where to post still foggy from LA. Tooth nerve pain after biting something hard, thought it would be the filling cracked. Preparing myself that he would say it needed a crown, very expensive but thought my biggest problem would be going away and researching my best (ie least reactive) option which I assumed would be an all porcelain one with no metal pin. he removed it today and said it isn't the filling but the tooth itself that is cracked and if the pain doesn't die down from the temporary filling it is a sign I will need an implant. I am a universal reactor, I am not trying to sound competitive but i just want to make the point I am severe its not a case of I react to that but OK with that etc. I read implants are secured by a titanium pin into your jawbone!! Does anyone out there have experience of dental problems with severe MCS. The only option i can see if the pain doesn't die down is just to get it removed - it is a big one though and I will look like gummy Joe without it and still in my early forties want to explore other options if there are any that is? :worried:

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
I have a family member with several implants. They are a great way to save a tooth. If you have a lot of problems, you can maybe see one more doctor for a second opinion to see if there are any other options.

Wayne

Does anyone out there have experience of dental problems with severe MCS. The only option i can see if the pain doesn't die down is just to get it removed - it is a big one though and I will look like gummy Joe without it and still in my early forties want to explore other options if there are any that is? :worried:

Hi Helsbells,

Tough situation; similar to one I faced a few years back. In my case, I had two front teeth extracted, and had to decide whether to go with implants or a bridge. Being sensitive to all kinds of things, especially metal, I decided against the implants and went with an all porcelean bridge.

It was a good decision for me, as I feel my body is neutral with the bridge materials (I muscle-tested beforehand). Besides the biocompatibility issue of the implants (titanium), I was also concerned about the trauma of embedding them deep into my gums and jawbone.

The implants may have worked, but I felt the odds of a non-metal procedure working would be far better for me. All different kinds of dental stuff is a big problem for most of us. In the end, after thoroughly exploring all the options, our intuition might just be our best guide.

Best to you as you try to make a good decision for yourself.

Wayne

jenbooks

Pull it. Then get a flipper but be sure it has no cadmium or dye and is baked thirty hours to neutralize the acrylic. Or if it's a back tooth leave a hole. You know as a universal reactor an implant could destroy your health.

leaves

I have an implant, was an intense procedure but happy I have had it done. I have MCS but am not so sensitive as you. For me the titanium (and they also filled it with cow bone I believe) was not a problem, but the drilling in my mouth was! It is really a surgery and you need to take time to recover from it. When you are that sensitive, you may discuss with your dentist the other possibilities (bridge?!)

helsbells

Thank -you all for such thoughtful and considered replies to a very niche question. jenbooks Im not sure what a flipper is (this is the UK you know what you have heard about our teeth :D) but I love your assertive reply and the fact that you have just said very plainly what deep down I know. It is a back one but a fat one, a friend she had one out at the back rather than have a route canal and said I will get used to the space. Wayne i think along with you I have concerns about metals - it is years since i could wear earings, even if pure gold my body wouldn't like it so i think like you if there is some option for a porcelain crown. I think a crown is unlikely as prsumably if the tooth is cracked it won't work. i am new to all this anyway as apart from having very sensitive teeth I haven't had much work done prior to now and am aghast at both the stress and the cost :eek: My third visit to the dentist today of the week and the first aniversary of the loss of a parent. You can imagine not my best week :(

Dainty

Hels,

I am also very severe with MCS, currently fighting to heal my cavities instead of fillings, hoping I'll win that one since fillings would be so risky for me.

My recommendation to you is to play it safe by leaving a hole. When your body reacts to everything you don't want to take any chances, no matter what the claims on safety are. What's safe for perhaps 99.999% of people in this world is likely not safe for you due to your body's condition.

What will happpen if you do not get the implant? You're a little disappointed to have a hole in your mouth, but it heals up and you learn to get used to it.

What will happen if you get the implant and there's no reaction or accompanying complications? You're happy to have a replacement, and it heals up and you forget about it.

What will happen if you get the implant and you do react to it? You'll be in for a huge amount of misery, depending on your level of sensitivity possibly life-threatening reactions, you'll seriously regret your decision and require an additional proceedure to remove the implant, which involves additional exposure to chemicals. You'd probably beat yourself up over it for a while (not that I recommend it!).

I know that for me, any dental proceedure = terrible risk of life-threatening reactions. I fi were you, my reasoning would be that the extraction would be risky enough and I'd already have to recover a lot from that; implantation would just be begging for trouble. However since I'm not familiar with your body only you can say for sure. The implant would be a gamble, the question is, do you want to try for it or play it safe? I recommend the latter, but if the former works out I understand it would be a great morale boost.

Dainty

Filling it with a foreign object does not mitigate the risk of infections or abscesses that I am aware of...

helsbells

Thanks all - I am a little better than yourself dainty in that I have a temporary filling at the mo - i would have to have something because the crack would just make the nerves too painfull. but everyone is absolutely right and actually post panic the more people I talk to a few inc a well peson has a missing back tooth and all say the same thing. It feels a bit bit weird at first but you soon get used to it. One friend refused a route canal and had the tooth removed and her MCS is no where near as bad as mine - just as a migraine sufferer with other health issues decided it was not for her. I think its difficult to grasp unless you have severe MCS, even among friends who are PWME's how badly we can react unless you that way yourself to seemingly "inert" or documented "safe" products. but thanks eveyone now I know the end stage possibilty is removal i feel better - not ideal but happier than with the alternative. I wish you all a good weekend - and I have have really valued your input and reassurance. PS MCS sucks if I think I would get rid of that before anything else!

citybug

I had a tooth partly break, and have temp filling. The dentist said pain would die down in a week or could need root canal. It's taken months but has died down. A second opinion guy said nerve can move away from tooth if I give it time. I'm going to go for extraction too (in the back) if complications, but I was worried about chewing. Still haven't had part 2 done of the expensive cap like repair.

helsbells

This is good news city bug - I mean about it dying down not cracking of course! I too thought better to have it than not but I am speaking to a surpising number of people who make do with out one or more back teeth - this is the UK of course LOL

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Can you find a mercury free dentist who has experience with MCS patients (somewhere- anywhere) and ask them what is their experience with MCS patients and implants? Carey O'Rielly in encinitas might know. Personally I think I would stay away from implants and go for a bridge. I have a hole in the back - you do get used to it.

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Thanks all - I am a little better than yourself dainty in that I have a temporary filling at the mo - i would have to have something because the crack would just make the nerves too painfull. but everyone is absolutely right and actually post panic the more people I talk to a few inc a well peson has a missing back tooth and all say the same thing. It feels a bit bit weird at first but you soon get used to it. One friend refused a route canal and had the tooth removed and her MCS is no where near as bad as mine - just as a migraine sufferer with other health issues decided it was not for her. I think its difficult to grasp unless you have severe MCS, even among friends who are PWME's how badly we can react unless you that way yourself to seemingly "inert" or documented "safe" products. but thanks eveyone now I know the end stage possibilty is removal i feel better - not ideal but happier than with the alternative. I wish you all a good weekend - and I have have really valued your input and reassurance. PS MCS sucks if I think I would get rid of that before anything else!

I was really scared about root canals but I had one done and did fine. I used a guy my alternative health dentist recommended. It is a tough decision.

jenbooks

A mild reactor and a universal reactor are two different animals. A universal reactor should not risk root canals or implants. They are toxic. I've heard of people developing anti titanium antibodies. With a hyper reactive skewed immune system in severe MCS, your body may just go kaflooey. It's not worth the risk. Pull a back tooth. You won't get an abscess or infection if it's done right. And of course that means going to an oral surgeon who is experienced. Do not have a regular dentist pull a tooth--I tried that once and it was a nightmare. A big back tooth has to be pulled carefully and oral surgeons know how. The tooth is not infected, do it sooner than later I guess. It will heal fine if you follow their directions with salt water gargles and careful about not getting food in there.

A flipper is for a front tooth--it's like a single tooth removable "bridge". Julie Genser on Planet Thrive wrote about getting one recently.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Hey Jenbooks--

I recently (10 days ago)) had to have a cavity filled. I could only put it off so long until the pain was unbearable. Usually it takes me about 3 days to recover from the dentist visit, but this time it made me feel toxic for over a week. I am just barely getting over it now. I know it has to do with my overall health status being worse now then it was "back when" ... but I have never had a bad reaction like this to the materials used in the filling. (They are on my compatability list as okey dokey for me.)

You said something in an earlier post about:
...be sure it has no cadmium or dye and is baked thirty hours to neutralize the acrylic.

Is this possible... really? Can all materials be be pre-baked like this? I may want to ask my dentist to something like this next time around. Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks, DB

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Helsbells can I ask what aneasthetic does your dentist use? I'm worried to death about having a reaction - btw think the plan to live with a space is a good one:)

jenbooks

Dreambirdie

That was just for a removable bridge.
OTOH, you can get a porcelain onlay and at least most of the material is already cured. Then the only thing you have to worry about are the glues.
I'm probably not going to stay in Texas, which is sad, because the best dentist is here (Nunnelly) who routinely lets you try the materials overnight, just putting a bit in your mouth between your gums and cheek.

Dainty

jen's post reminds me, if anyone is in western Washington and looking for an MCS-friendly dentist I can recommend an excellent one, PM me for details.