• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Severe MCS & Told I need a tooth implant - HELP

helsbells

Hey Maryb this is a bit of a double bind for me. I used to go to dentist that used one with out adrenalin but could feel eveything. I was later diagnosed with ehlers Danlos - the consultant said if others things ticked the box for him and the patient said and the other thing dental anasthetics don't work for me he considered it a diagnsotic. So i have to have the usual stuff, i do seem to be ok - well no different to the usual rubbish anyway but I am better with things I encounter very rarely and then as a one of hence the reason I would be more concerned with a route canal/implant etc. Something like those would probably seem fine at first but my health would suffer long term as that seem to be the pattern with me.

helsbells

A mild reactor and a universal reactor are two different animals. A universal reactor should not risk root canals or implants. They are toxic. I've heard of people developing anti titanium antibodies. With a hyper reactive skewed immune system in severe MCS, your body may just go kaflooey. It's not worth the risk. Pull a back tooth. You won't get an abscess or infection if it's done right. And of course that means going to an oral surgeon who is experienced. Do not have a regular dentist pull a tooth--I tried that once and it was a nightmare. A big back tooth has to be pulled carefully and oral surgeons know how. The tooth is not infected, do it sooner than later I guess. It will heal fine if you follow their directions with salt water gargles and careful about not getting food in there.

A flipper is for a front tooth--it's like a single tooth removable "bridge". Julie Genser on Planet Thrive wrote about getting one recently.

I hear ya jenbooks, its difficult to express without sounding like your competing. I have very ill PWME friends with route canals, use meds etc their chronicity has taken them in a lightly different direction. I am housebound with fatigue and have developed many other problems over the years but I say again as testiment to the craziness and isolation of severe MCS if I could change one thing it would be this. With it their are no visits, holidays, no xmrv drugs etc etc the stumbling block of all stumbling blocks. I have taken on board what you say about oral surgeon too, are stiches better in a big tooth does anyone know.
Thanks again jb this has been an extremely useful reply

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
I started having bad problems with my teeth because since I have been ill, I do not produce enough saliva. I have always been a person who takes good care of my teeth and did not have a cavity for 25 years until I became sick. I also have to use restasis because of dry eyes. Apparently my eyes swell (conjunctivitis) and then they can not produce moisture. I don't know if this is a side effect of the medicine I take or part of CFS or fibromyalgia. I hear ya about the implants. They are so expensive and require surgery. I decided not to go that route. I have had to have one tooth pulled and another is going to be pulled soon. I will probably be getting a retainer with 2 teeth attached, since that is the only option I can afford and because I had braces as an adult and need a another retainer anyway.

Dainty

Mya, have you ruled out Sjogren's Syndrome? The lack of both saliva and tears prompts me to ask, since the condition is the immune system attacking your salivary glands and tear ducts, among other things.

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
Mya, have you ruled out Sjogren's Syndrome? The lack of both saliva and tears prompts me to ask, since the condition is the immune system attacking your salivary glands and tear ducts, among other things.

No, they haven't exactly ruled that out. I had a positive on one of the Sjogren's Syndrome tests, but none of the other tests were positive. I believe it was the SJS. This happens to me alot, however. I tend to get slight positives on autoimmune tests like the ANA that are inconclusive. Also, I don't have any other Sjogren's symptoms.

camas

I have the same issue, Mya. My ANA is always elevated, but additional tests for lupus, etc. are negative. I had no problems with my teeth prior to this disease, but because of dry mouth I started losing enamel. I started with veneers on my upper front teeth, but eventually had to go to a full set of crowns. Now I'm having to replace these because I've developed bad margins. Had I known it was going to come to this, I just would have had them all pulled and done a nice kitchen remodel instead.:rolleyes: