• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Severe acne outbreak trying methylation

My plasma levels of B12 was on the bottom side of the range. I also have some mutations indicating I should supplement methyl B12 (but also some that indicate I shouldn't take it, so...).
The problem is, whenever I try to start methylation protocol or take some B12 alone, I get really bad acne, mostly on my back and some on face too.
Could it mean I'm missing some cofactors?
Or should I just not take b vitamins?
Have anyone had the same problem and found a way around?

MTpockets

Try the Hydroxycobalamin b12 it seems to be gentler on a lot of people. Also if your toxin load is very bad, you may just have an adjustment period your body has to go through at first. Most people tend to detox pretty hard at first when they start the methylation protocol.

NotThisGuy

My plasma levels of B12 was on the bottom side of the range. I also have some mutations indicating I should supplement methyl B12 (but also some that indicate I shouldn't take it, so...).
The problem is, whenever I try to start methylation protocol or take some B12 alone, I get really bad acne, mostly on my back and some on face too.

I get acne at the exact same spots after taking B12. But I wouldnt call it really bad. Just mild acne. Anyway the first time it showed up I fixed it with taking biotin, the second time B2 was the answer to get rid of it and the third time it was methylfolate and glycine. For me its for sure some detox problem because running short of another nutrient. Usually the acne disappears within 48 hours as soon as I take the missing nutrient.

Moof

It seems to be quite a common problem. I'm post-menopausal and hadn't had an acne spot for 35 years, but even I got small outbreaks appearing in strange places (e.g., halfway down my forearm?!) when I first started injecting. It settled down after a couple of months, and I no longer get it – hopefully you'll be able to get past it too. Maybe build up your dose of B12 very slowly, and see if that helps?

ljimbo423

Methylation removes toxins from the blood which allows other toxins from cells to be passed into the bloodstream and that could be what's causing your acne.

Gentle liver cleansing herbs like dandelion root and burdock root can help to remove toxins and in my experience are much gentler than increasing methylation.

Drinking more water also helps remove toxins. You might want to lower your B12 intake until you have lowered your toxic load with herbs like dandelion and burdock roots.

Methylation is a primary method of removing toxins in the phase 2 liver detoxification process. Methylation converts toxins of all kinds from insoluble or fat-soluble compounds into water soluble compounds.

Once these toxins are made water soluble they can then be easily eliminated from the body via watery fluids such as the urine, sweat and bile. If this does not occur, these toxins cannot be eliminated and they will build up in the body.
https://www.liverdoctor.com/methylation/