• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Senate Bill endangering our right to supplements

JanisB

The 1994 law known as DSHEA which gives us access to nutritional supplements is, once again, under siege. This time it is a law being proposed by McCain and Dorgan.

The National Health Federation has a great explanation of the new bill as well as a petition/letter you can quickly sign and send to the senators. Here is a link with a brief summary of the bill. At the bottom is the petition. http://www.thenhf.com/press_releases/pr_04_feb_2010.html

You can also find the full text of the bill (if you are inclined to read all that stuff) at this link:
http://www.thenhf.com/press_releases/10_0202_Dietary_Supplement_Safety_Bill.pdf

Please take action!!! Our health hangs by a thin thread of political freedom that is challenged every few years by those whose campaign funds depend upon contributions from Big Pharma.

JanisB

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
The US Government is both utterly dysfunctional and completely out of control.

Frickly

Thanks for posting this. Next thing we know they will be charging us for the air we breath. Last I heard P5P was on the chopping block but lost track. I will follow this and think we should all do the same.

Not sure if this has been posted or not, but we who are too sensitive for pharmaceuticals and need to rely on supplements need to contact our senators and representative and oppose S. 3002, the Dietary Supplement Safety Act.

Here is a website with details. My fingers don't have the strength to type it all out.
http://saveoursupplements.org/

Thank you,
Lucie

Carrigon

The only real help I've ever had was from supplements and alternative things. If they ever take that away, even the vitamin D I take, they might as well kill me. Without that vitamin D, I'm alot worse.

Sunday

Thanks for this. I'm not a big activist, but I wrote a letter to each of the senators in question. I started it, "If this bill passes, I may not live." Dramatic - but also possibly true. And I think those guys need some drama to make them consider the publicity and vote-getting ramifications of this.

Frickly

This is the email I just received in response to my thoughts on this bill. Doesn't sound promising from Texas. But....she does say they are just trying to protect us so it just might be in our best interest to let the government make all our health care decisions for us. Hmmm.....I think not...:cool:

Dear Friend:

Thank you for contacting me regarding S. 3002, the Dietary Supplement Safety Act of 2010. I welcome your thoughts and comments.

Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations are intended to protect consumers, not restrict access to safe and effective nutritional supplements. Recent recalls of unsafe medicines from the market have raised concerns over the drug review and monitoring systems of the FDA. Studies estimate that over half of all Americans use dietary supplements, including vitamins, minerals and herbs. Please rest assured that I will continue to work toward ensuring that the FDA implements regulations that protect our consumers health while also defending consumers rights.

On February 4, 2010, Senator John McCain (R-AZ) introduced S. 3002, the Dietary Supplement Safety Act of 2010. This legislation would amend the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act to more effectively regulate dietary supplements that may pose safety risks unknown to consumers.

The safety of these supplements, as well as their continued availability to the public, are extremely important. The Dietary Supplement Safety Act of 2010 has been referred to the Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions, on which I do not serve. Should this issue come for consideration before the full Senate, you may be certain I will keep your views in mind.

I appreciate hearing from you, and I hope that you will not hesitate to contact me on any issue that is important to you.

Sincerely,
Kay Bailey Hutchison
United States Senator

It Would Really Be Helpful for Everyone to Write Their Senators & Reps!

This is disappointing, Frickly. I just contacted Kay B. H. also. Looks like she's getting in line behind her party.

Sunday, I like your approach.

Some of my friends suggest if you are writing a Republican to stress that you do not want more government control over your health, since that is in line with their thinking.

On the positive side, the bill has only been sent to committee. Many bills (acts) get no further than committee. We can hope, pray, and rub our lucky rabbit's foot that the Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions tosses this proposal.

A time to write, act, but remain hopeful.

Lucie

Tammie

yeah, this one has me a bit scared, too.....i did write to my representatives about it - haven't heard back......I would be completely bedbound w/o supps....and the party line about protecting us is bull.....all this will do is make it harder/more expensive/or even impossible to get supplements - that will not protect me - that WILL harm me extensively

the FDA cannot keep up with what tehy have to do now and they do a terrible job of it - why on earht should we give them more power?

Frickly

Thanks for the encouragement Andrew. I agree we should all keep trying. I will check out your link.

Thanks,

Frickly

Tammie,

I agree this is a very important issue. Supplements are also what got me out of my chair and living life. It is also a huge part of my son's recovery who is on the spectrum. This bill has nothing to do with protecting us but everything to do with making lots of money. Sigh.....:cool:It ticks me off to get replies like this from our representatives. We are not all blind to what is really going on.:Retro mad:

Tammie

Frickly, that response ticks me off, too......condescending b/s basically.....like they think we are too stupid to figure out their agenda, and too dumb to be able to protect ourselves and know what's best for ourselves....no one needs to protect me from me but I wish someone would protect me from them!

dannybex

Tammie,

I agree this is a very important issue. Supplements are also what got me out of my chair and living life. It is also a huge part of my son's recovery who is on the spectrum. This bill has nothing to do with protecting us but everything to do with making lots of money. Sigh.....:cool:It ticks me off to get replies like this from our representatives. We are not all blind to what is really going on.:Retro mad:

Yes, thanks Tammie for posting this. I will email my reps...

And good points Frickley...but...

I don't think it will pass, or get very far, for a couple of reasons: Senator Hatch, one of McCain's pals, was the one that stepped forward and helped pass the original law. I would guess that he would do the same this time as well...?

Also, many drug companies have gotten into the supplement business, and have made BILLIONS doing so. They're not about to stand by and watch let any unnecessary regulations get in the way of their profits. (Unless of course they could somehow make more $$ if the bill passes?)

Having said that, it would be great if some sort of compromise could be found. While supplements have posed almost no threat to human health, especially compared to prescription drugs, there have been heavy metals found in herbal supplements from reputable companies...so 'some' sort of regulations or oversight (outside of the FDA) would be a good idea.

d.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I don't know if anyone has posted this yet, but for those who want to write to their representatives and senators but don't have the energy, there is an automated email that will go to your particular congresspersons at http://www.lef.org/featured-articles/Dont-Give-FDA-More-Power-to-Ban-Our-Supplements.htm You just click at the bottom of the page, enter your zip code and it takes you to a letter addressed correctly.

I did this and got a response, though it was a "canned" one.

Sushi

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Delusions_of_Tyr&#97.jpg