Seeking information on long-term outcomes with Dr. Kaufman

Does anyone have any feedback on Dr. Chheda vs. Dr. Kaufman? I just called their appointment desk and Dr. C is taking new patients as early as Oct/Nov, while Dr. K has new patient appointments available only starting in Jan. Would like some advice regarding whether I should wait it out for Dr. K or if Dr. C is just as good. Thank you!

Learner1

Administrator
I'm a patient of Dr. K's but have seen labwork from Dr. C and talked to several patients who have seen her. They are both excellent, and though they have different backgrounds, they seem to both be doing a great job helping patients, and are both part of the Center of Excellence and are up to speed on what the researchers are finding. I think you'd be lucky to see either of them, and the sooner you do, the sooner you can get help.

Best wishes...

Does anyone have any feedback on Dr. Chheda vs. Dr. Kaufman? ...
I don't have any experience with Dr. K, but Dr. C has been able to help me orders of magnitude more than any other doc I've seen in 30 plus years. She is competent and also she is professional and efficient. This is just my experience of course, and, like i say, i can't compare the two docs. (However, me being me, I wouldn't do that in a public forum.)

Last edited:
I am trying to get in to see Dr K at the center for complex diseases. I was told they would put me on a list but no idea how long that maybe before I could get in. I thought I would let people know that the prices for appointments have gone up. first appt is 800.00 second follow up 800.000 then 30 min are 485.00 over 30 min is 585.00.

I am feeling rather desperate to see him or someone as able, overwhelmed at how I can raise the money to do just that since my only insurance is Medicare and medical. I ve sold most of my belongings so I will try a go fund me page and maybe I could at least get a couple of months in to get a better diagnosis.

I have tired to get my " regular" doctors to think about the fact that I have cord compression, herniated cervical discs from several car wrecks and a bad fall where I landed on my head.

Very interested on how our person here is doing from his surgery and what his recovery is. Really appreciated what he shared and if I am blessed enough to get in to see dr k I will certainly bring up the idea of CCI & Chiari. I do hope he is doing well. I ve also been interested in CCSVI not the treatment so much but at least the testing to see if there is restriction or blockage in the arteries leading to loss of blood flow to the brain. I believe that my whiplash and fall is what brought on my fibro and possibly my ME .

Gingergrrl

I am trying to get in to see Dr K at the center for complex diseases. I was told they would put me on a list but no idea how long that maybe before I could get in. I thought I would let people know that the prices for appointments have gone up. first appt is 800.00 second follow up 800.000 then 30 min are 485.00 over 30 min is 585.00.
I really hope you will be able to see Dr. K (he is my doctor since mid 2014) and he is amazing. I did not realize the cost had increased so much and when I saw him for an initial consult in 2014 (at OMI) it was $350 for the consult and then $350 for the follow-up appt two weeks later. Is it $800 without the SIBO test? He usually tests patients for SIBO at their initial appt but I didn't do this and did the SIBO test with a local doctor who was covered by my insurance back in 2014 instead. All of my blood work and other tests that he ordered have been covered by insurance for me.

Very interested on how our person here is doing from his surgery and what his recovery is. Really appreciated what he shared and if I am blessed enough to get in to see dr k I will certainly bring up the idea of CCI & Chiari. I do hope he is doing well.
You could tag him or send him a PM and I am pretty certain that he'd be happy to answer your questions. He is a friend of mine since 2014 and also a patient of Dr. K's.

I really hope you will be able to see Dr. K (he is my doctor since mid 2014) and he is amazing. I did not realize the cost had increased so much and when I saw him for an initial consult in 2014 (at OMI) it was $350 for the consult and then $350 for the follow-up appt two weeks later. Is it $800 without the SIBO test? He usually tests patients for SIBO at their initial appt but I didn't do this and did the SIBO test with a local doctor who was covered by my insurance back in 2014 instead. All of my blood work and other tests that he ordered have been covered by insurance for me.

You could tag him or send him a PM and I am pretty certain that he'd be happy to answer your questions. He is a friend of mine since 2014 and also a patient of Dr. K's.
Wish they would take Insurance :(

StarChild56

I wish they did, too, @JinZ although if they did, there would be more constraints on what they can do for us. It is a catch 22.

They will provide you with a superbill with all the info you need to submit a claim to your insurance. They are out of network for me, and their hourly rate I am sure is higher than what my insurance would pay - once I met my deductible - but if I did (and I may) meet my out of network deductible I can get a little reimbursement.

yes, pretty sure that its 800.00 for the first and the second without SIBO just the consults.

I am so grateful I have any insurance, feel blessed that if I get hit by a truck I will be taken care of but its true for folks like us if the doctors use insurance they are trapped having to justify every med and procedure .Pretty rare for anyone take my medicare, the only one I think who takes it is Montoya since he is part of Stanford. He also is not taking any new patients and there is wait list of who knows how long to see one of his assistants.

I do wonder if the great doctors we all want to see if they don't keep raising their prices to keep the patient load at bay since there are so few of them. I do feel that they deserve more then the average doctor for the amount of work it is to treat us and to keep up with research. how much more is a bigger question. its just a sad reality that one has to chose food roof or medical care or not be treated at all. which is where I ve been for years.

I am seeing my DO tomorrow and will try to see if I can get the SIBO test done I ve had it on my test wish list but sounds like it might be good to do sooner then latter in case I get to see him.

Is there any other test that you would recommend I get prior to seeing him?

There is a chance that I could get in to see someone at OMI in the spring probably sooner then I would get in to see dr k and they do cost less. 600.00 for first appointment then 585 for 30 min and 585 over 30 min. But this thread has made me really want to see dr k even more especially since I am so concerned about my spinal cord, neck and brain. Not to say that they wouldn't address it at OMI but knowing that the doctor understands it believes in it and is open is different then hoping they will be.

Gingergrrl

I was told they would put me on a list but no idea how long that maybe before I could get in.
I would get onto the waiting list (and the cancelation list if there is one) and see no harm in doing this. If an appt becomes available, you can always decline at that time if not able to take it.

Is there any other test that you would recommend I get prior to seeing him?
It is so hard to say b/c he will run some standard tests on every single patient and then very specialized tests depending on your history, symptoms, and situation. As an example, if he suspects Lyme disease it will be very different tests than if he suspects autoimmune disease or POTS or MCAS or CCI/Chiari or active viral infection, etc.

There is a chance that I could get in to see someone at OMI in the spring probably sooner then I would get in to see dr k and they do cost less.
I believe the only doctor who is currently at OMI is Dr. Kogelnik but I may be totally wrong on that and they may have hired more doctors?

Not to say that they wouldn't address it at OMI but knowing that the doctor understands it believes in it and is open is different then hoping they will be.
If Dr. K suspects that you have a spinal cord issue or CCI/Chiari, etc, he will order the testing for you. He is like a medical detective and will follow wherever the evidence points.