• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Seeking information on long-term outcomes with Dr. Kaufman

Sing

Thanks for this information, @Learner1 I am not familiar with Theoharides and also the KIT mutation, but might find out something useful here.

Still, my tryptase, histamine and PGD2 are all entirely normal and I don’t have the usual symptom pattern of MCAS. I don’t need or respond positively to antihistamines, don’t have food sensitivities or POTS, etc. All I’ve got is that high Chromogranin A, which could be pointing off in another direction.

I did start the MCAS meds then quickly stopped due to a combination of no benefit and a harmful response to one of them. But I do have ME/CFS in its very low, slow, limiting and unreactive forms, and Dr. K suspects MCAS could be involved, so I want to stay open and learn a bit more.

Sing

No
Do you take acid reducing medications - that can cause high Chromogranin A?

Did you do the urine test which can be more sensitive I believe

No acid-reducing meds, as I don’t have acid, no salicylates or NSAIDs if they could also skew that finding, but it’s possible there could be some other benign cause, as well as possible there could be a bad one. I’ve got a couple of symptoms now which could point to the latter, and will be having that checked out but I appreciate finding out what I can from other patients, as we often have unusual things going on in our bodies.

Once I nearly had a surgery based on what a finding usually meant for most people and my conventional doctor, but luckily I didn’t because it turned out there was nothing new or different wrong with me—other than this illness—and I later found out that others among us had this particular problem too.

Anyway, I am in an exploratory process.

And as for the more sensitive PGD2 test, I had whatever Dr. K ordered along those lines and all my prostaglandin results were normal.

I have a few minor allergies, nothing I need meds for, and am not the allergic type. However, maybe there is a crocodile under the bed (MCAS). I’ll be finding out—