• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sedated from B-complex?

Hi all, I’m trying to figure out what my kids need in terms of b vitamins. I gave my kids b drops around 4pm expecting it give them energy. They both passed out within 30 minutes and slept for 3 hours. These are 2 kids who stopped napping at 2, who hardley even nap for 20 minute increments when sick.

The drops have 10mg of b6(pyridoxal 5 phosphate), 400mcg of folate (6s 5 methyltetrahydrofolate), and 2500mcg of b12 (methylcobalamin).

I only have genetic data for my daughter, waiting on the rest. She has the homo MTHFS, hetero MTHFR (the 3 main ones) - and a whole host of other mutations.

Any insight on what’s going on? I’m extremely confused about MTHFS, despite reading everything I can find. So avoid folinic acid/methyfolate/5MTHF, correct?

wow what is the name of these drops? i will go get them asap. as my sleep is terrible lately. i personally never heard of this. will apprecialte the mfg, many thanks.
joanie

@joanierav It’s the Kal Drop-ins b12, b6, folic acid. I’ve been searching everywhere but I haven’t been able to find an explanation. This all happened last week and the 3 of us have been taking it at bedtime since. Lithium orotate has helped my insomnia too.

@CCC nothing was out of the ordinary when they woke up. They seemed well rested? We’ve all continued to take it, but I want to make sure that I’m doing the right thing. I read scientific/conventional medicine articles that state folinic acid is the treatment for MTHFS. I read another that showed folinic acid alone made cerebral folate deficiency worse. Folinic acid alone didn’t do much for my daughter who seems to have some mild symptoms of folate deficiency (sacral dimples, small head size/3rd percentile, small stature, migraines). I want to make sure I’m giving her the correct supplements. I have to give her at least 200mg of magnesium glycinate a night or her severe migraines come back.

I’m here for my CFS, but trying to help my kids who have a whole host of weird medical issues - most likely from my bad genes and dysfunctional uterus :/

CCC

@CCC nothing was out of the ordinary when they woke up. They seemed well rested? We’ve all continued to take it, but I want to make sure that I’m doing the right thing. I read scientific/conventional medicine articles that state folinic acid is the treatment for MTHFS. I read another that showed folinic acid alone made cerebral folate deficiency worse. Folinic acid alone didn’t do much for my daughter who seems to have some mild symptoms of folate deficiency (sacral dimples, small head size/3rd percentile, small stature, migraines). I want to make sure I’m giving her the correct supplements. I have to give her at least 200mg of magnesium glycinate a night or her severe migraines come back.

I’m here for my CFS, but trying to help my kids who have a whole host of weird medical issues - most likely from my bad genes and dysfunctional uterus :/

We've found that folinic acid + B2 works for us. We need the B2 to be able to process the folinic. Once a day, a dose of methylfolate is also needed (we find that it's faster acting).

Some people can't tolerate even folinic acid - they need methylfolate. Your daughter might be in this category.

And many can't tolerate folic acid - but you're probably onto that if you are already thinking about folinic vs methylfolate.

Busson

We've found that folinic acid + B2 works for us. We need the B2 to be able to process the folinic. Once a day, a dose of methylfolate is also needed (we find that it's faster acting).

Some people can't tolerate even folinic acid - they need methylfolate. Your daughter might be in this category.

Why would folinic acid be troublesome? Isn't it the form of folate usually found in food?

As I understand it, methylfolate is derived from folinic acid in food or from folic acids in supplements and both are useful to perform other activities before they get converted to methylfolate

I would be interested to understand more about folinic acid. I take it myself in preference to methylfolate as I believe folinic acid isn't as likely to cause methylfolate trapping which I had a lot of trouble with.

CCC

Why would folinic acid be troublesome? Isn't it the form of folate usually found in food?

As I understand it, methylfolate is derived from folinic acid in food or from folic acids in supplements and both are useful to perform other activities before they get converted to methylfolate

I would be interested to understand more about folinic acid. I take it myself in preference to methylfolate as I believe folinic acid isn't as likely to cause methylfolate trapping which I had a lot of trouble with.

Some people can't even process folinic acid - so they have to avoid green veggies.

We're very fortunate in that we can process folinic + B2 as a base. It leaves the more-expensive methylfolate for times when we need a quick boost, for example, when we need to go to an appointment.

You might also find that the sleep was exactly what the kids needed. B12 does improve some people's sleep.