• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search for NIH Research Funding Awards by yourself

Pyrrhus

Search for NIH Research Funding Awards by yourself

If you're interested in investigating US National Institutes of Health (NIH) funding for ME research, you can find some interesting bits of information available on the NIH's "RePORTER" search website.

For example, here are the results of a simple search for "me/cfs 2021":
https://reporter.nih.gov/search/MOdsbLCeGUutmjSZ5i650g/projects

From searching this website, I just learned the incredibly relevant fact that Ron Davis's middle name is "Wayne"!

What will you learn?

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
If i transcribed it correctly in the calculator its a total of $25,373,541
More than i expected.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
Sorry for all the repeated posts in this thread but thinking about it further i would have made different investments if i were the NIH. I won't name specifics to not piss off people but there are a few in there i would not have granted and others i would have granted instead.

Rufous McKinney

From searching this website, I just learned the incredibly relevant fact that Ron Davis's middle name is "Wayne"!

What will you learn?

THANK YOU....I"ve tried to find this type of info for about the last six months, failing every time.

Somebody is getting all this funding and WHO is it?

So I guess its news to me Ron Wayne Davis GOT over $700K to do something ME related.

I was still running on Turned Down for Idiotic Reasons. Of course we don't know what else was turned down, but finally a location where one can better understand What is getting the funding.

Pyrrhus

I must say, I am very pleasantly surprised to see the high quality of research being proposed and to see a diverse group of researchers involved. I feel truly heartened.

Of course, the dollar amounts are still too low, we could use many more researchers, and it will take a number of years before the results of these research efforts are published. (And they should all be published, no matter what the results are.)

The only funding for anything vaguely resembling a kind-of sort-of psychiatric theory of ME is a mere $129,379 for Daniel Clauw of the University of Michigan.
https://reporter.nih.gov/search/MOdsbLCeGUutmjSZ5i650g/project-details/10395664

Rufous McKinney

They have sometimes argued that the "overly-sensitized nerves" in this/these condition(s) might be treated with behavioral modification.

I have used EFT (the tapping protocols) in tense situations, relative to my "hyperactive" bladder.

Its helped relax the bladder. Now, this is tied to when its associated with some anxiety. So the act of "tapping"...is, I think, sometimes working to short circuit some of this circuitry.

Example- driving thru San Francisco, is a long run without a bathroom and I am generally stressed out about it. A place we found to stop, if dire, isn't easy or fun. So I get really anxious. I am no fun to travel with.

Well my daughter is driving and I tap away and you tap points and do the eye maneuvers and there is a type of short circuiting and this loop calms down.

It did not work me on the airplane with horrific bladder spasms, (and on half a Xanax). I was in a really acutely bad state of inflaming, ME PEM and travel stress. But it helps San Francisco....

Derya Unutmaz is getting a total of about 3.3 million dollars.
I recently saw this guy post on twitter about researching HIV and long covid. Not exactly what i had in mind. Is he still doing mecfs. There is like a thousand ppl studying long covid so why would these NIH funded groups not just focus solely on the mecfs part when they get mecfs funds. And where is his paper, he was hyping up his research to the max a year ago but i dont see any paper.