• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Screaming Tinnitus

Shanti1

Administrator
I recently watched a webinar by neurologist Jay Lombard who said that the carbonic anhydrase inhibitor acetazolamide (Diamox) was his go to for tinnitus. I works by regulating the fluid in the inner ear. One of the mechanism of B1 is also thought to be as a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor, but I'm not sure if it would be as effective as diamox.

I wonder if LDN would be helpful?

Nord Wolf

The Northman
(Diamox) was his go to for tinnitus
Diamox... I think what they give people with Glaucoma. Interesting. I suppose that would be if the tinnitus is being caused by inner ear pressure as opposed to other reasons.
I wonder if LDN would be helpful?
I do take LDN, but so far I've not notice anything spectacular. I'm still on the introductory dose. Another week and I'll bump up to the normal dose.

Shanti1

Administrator
Diamox... I think what they give people with Glaucoma. Interesting. I suppose that would be if the tinnitus is being caused by inner ear pressure as opposed to other reasons.
Yes, used for glaucoma, altitude sickness, intercranial hypertension among other things. I'm not sure that those who use it successfully for tinnitus actually have the sensation of inner ear pressure, but its primary mechanism is thought to be fluid inner ear fluid balance.

Wayne

I've always utilized North American herbs since we have so many cooling and moistening ones. -- I do wonder the exact tea mixture Dr. Lily prescribed that guy though.

Hi @Nord Wolf -- For me, knowing the exact mixture would be interesting. But what makes this story fascinating for me is reading how changing the dynamics of our entire body, via herbs and/or foods, or in some other manner, can make a big difference in tinnitus.

When I think of latent infections that many of us have, such as SIBO, chronic sinus or oral infections, candida, Lyme, etc., I think it's entirely possible that if those infections can be affected in some manner, then there's hope it will improve tinnitus. We can always hope!

YippeeKi YOW !!

But it is brain searing, disturbs my concentration at times, makes me irritable and even anxious at times... there is no escape from the sound.
I'm stunned that it doesn't make you murderously irritable or even homicidal ..... that's a dreadful way to live, and I know the frustration and fleeting feelings of hopelessness it can drag along with it.

DB (my husband) also has tinnitus, has had it forever. Like you, he had massive exposure to gunfire for years in the Air Force, but I think the capper was many years of being over- and mis-prescribed for epilepsy. He says that it seems to be getting better and he can sometimes go days without really noticing it. Part of that is that once I realized how crappy his diet had been since I'd been unable to stand at the stove for hours, I started managing his supplements and adding and subtracting based on his feedback.

I have no idea which helped the most, but I think it was a variable combo of simple herbs like ginger, cinnamon, celery seed, small amounts of licorice root, increasing his potassium and balancing it with moderate salt (after seeing on his blood tests that sodium chloride was really low), generous amounts of magnesium, and other stuff that I cant bring to mind right now (foggy day in Yippee town), as well as boosting his B-comp and switching to a hi-quality product with co-enzymes to assist in uptake, adding in larger amounts of C0-Q10, and an all-natural form of minerals from Ancestral Supplements.

As you can see, a real grab-bag and good luck figuring out what did what. But he feels much better, and as I already said, his tinnitus has decreased considerably.

I've had occasional bouts of variably-pitched tinnitus, but have been really fortunate in that they don't last more than two or three days, or at the worst, a week. I have no idea wht causes it, but I suspect any form of stress, among other things.

I hope you find some kind of work-around, if not total healing .... it's a miserable affliction, and no one who hasn't had to deal with it will understand how debilitating, frustrating, and demoralizing it is ....

Nord Wolf

The Northman
But what makes this story fascinating for me is reading how changing the dynamics of our entire body, via herbs and/or foods, or in some other manner, can make a big difference in tinnitus.
Agreed, but then of course that is the case with anything in the human body really. Every condition we might develop can be altered with a specific intake from the world outside us. The biggest questions are always what, when, how much, and in what combinations. The possibilities are endless, which is what makes them tricky to figure out. :monocle:
When I think of latent infections that many of us have, such as SIBO, chronic sinus or oral infections, candida, Lyme, etc., I think it's entirely possible that if those infections can be affected in some manner
I also agree. The difficulty on my end is that so far we have not discovered any latent infection in my system. Test after test, and they all come up negative for latent viruses, other infections, etc. Many people here on PR have been diagnosed with various infections, and thus have various modes of treatment going on. Years of testing and looking and we are still in the dark beyond having the diagnosis's of dysautonomia, neuroimmune conditions, ME, CFS, secondary PoTS, chronic pain, Fibro, nerve damage, lung damage, cptsd, tinnitus, failing vision... but no test ever showing an underlying infection condition.
What a puzzle the human body is!!

Nord Wolf

The Northman
As you can see, a real grab-bag and good luck figuring out what did what. But he feels much better, and as I already said, his tinnitus has decreased considerably.
Glad he has improved! Yes the proper diet and supplement intake can do wonders. I'm always adjusting my supplements, but certainly take a solid regime of high potency. My diet has been clean for 2 decades, and I'm always making adjustments. Our systems are always shifting around, so what we intake should support that continual change internal.

YippeeKi YOW !!

Our systems are always shifting around, so what we intake should support that continual change internal.
It's like log-rolling and Lord help you if you don't have agile reflexes .....
Glad he has improved!
It's been a long slog and the number of things I tried is staggering. And, like you say, it's not unlikely that I'll have to double back at some point and try it all again ....

Luckily (sort of), his experience with the medical profession, generally, has been such that he's willing to take a chance on my, at least loving, ministrations rather than apply to them for anything other than an emergency.

Tho in fairness, I have to say that the orthopedic surgeons who put him back together, twice, were absolutely brilliant and totally lived up to what we all may have once believed, and still wish, that Drs really were.

If I can think of anything else with any coherence or timeline of use, I'll post it here, with the usual caveat (not for you, I know you know it by heart, but for newcomers who might read this thread down the road) that just because it worked for one doesn't mean it'll work for all. Or anyone else.

Another terrific unwelcome gift from this gnawing little sandworm of an illness. Yay.
Years of testing and looking and we are still in the dark beyond having the diagnosis's of dysautonomia, neuroimmune conditions, ME, CFS, secondary PoTS, chronic pain, Fibro, nerve damage, lung damage, cptsd, tinnitus, failing vision... but no test ever showing an underlying infection condition.
Brilliant summation. And depressing ....
What a puzzle the human body is!!
I know. right? And if it weren't so frustrating and impossible to decode, I'd be super over-awed by it.

Today tho, I'm just righteously pissed off by the whole "Miracle Of Life" thing :meh::meh::meh:, not my usual outlook.

I so hope that you find an answer to this .... :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Violeta

Interesting. Too bad you didn't get the pitch reading. They probably have it in your file. You might be able to call and get it.
TMC... Homeopathy... Diet... Supplements... I need to try one thing at a time, otherwise if something changes I won't know what it was that helped and what didn't. Right now I'm targeting diet. I know @BrightCandle said the keto diet didn't help their tinnitus, but I was eating too many carbs anyway, so may as well give it a shot.
Between the hearing issues and the degrading eyesight, I have two appointments this spring that I'm actually looking forward to. I'd really like some readings and better insight to what is going on if at all possible, especially with the eyesight, but that is for another thread.

Unfortunately the testing was done by someone who was testing kids at the school that I worked at. She did it as a favor and no records were kept.

I have tried a million things and still have tinnitus and I while mentioning another herb makes me feel as though I might be annoying, your mention of tinnitus with respect to kidneys caused me to look up rehmania (because I have some) to see if I should try it again. It's cold and I think I need warming herbs, so I am not going to try it, but I thought maybe you might want to look at it.

Also, the link I posted about Martin Pall and peroxynitrite is so interesting because he shows how peroxynitrite issues can be caused by more than just a pathogen...chemicals and other things can cause the same problem. Although it looks as if you've tried a lot of the things on his list of possible remedies, too.

Even if the antioxidants do help, though, it's still like trying to put out the fire without taking away the kindling.

Last edited:

Nord Wolf

The Northman
If I can think of anything else with any coherence or timeline of use, I'll post it here, with the usual caveat (not for you, I know you know it by heart, but for newcomers who might read this thread down the road) that just because it worked for one doesn't mean it'll work for all. Or anyone else.
Thanks!
You demonstrate a genuine genius for understatement here :D:D:D :woot::woot: !!!!
Ha, indeed... ;)
Yes, and I find most people don’t really know even the basics of eating properly. For example, tannins interfere with the body’s ability to breakdown and digest protein. If then one drinks black tea, green tea, or high tannin red wine; eats grapes, blueberries, or dark chocolate for instance, within 1 hour from eating protein, they will not be getting near the amount of protein they think they are. No difference from supplements of course. If we take Vitamin D3 we also need to be getting enough Vitamin K2 or the body cannot use the D3. Same with magnesium… copper is necessary, as well as calcium to properly utilize magnesium. If we take Thiamine (B1), then we need to also take enough potassium and magnesium, or the Thiamine will deplete the body of other minerals.
All basics really, but so many people are just unaware and end up harming their bodies.

Nord Wolf

The Northman
I have tried a million things and still have tinnitus and I while mentioning another herb makes me feel as though I might be annoying, your mention of tinnitus with respect to kidneys caused me to look up rehmania (because I have some) to see if I should try it again. It's cold and I think I need warming herbs, so I am not going to try it, but I thought maybe you might want to look at it.
Annoying, nonsense :) Raw Rehmania is cooling, yes. I have taken that in conjunction with other supportive herbs many times in the past, but no results with the tinnitus.
Even if the antioxidants do help, though, it's still like trying to put out the fire without taking away the kindling.
Completely agree there!

YippeeKi YOW !!

. If we take Vitamin D3 we also need to be getting enough Vitamin K2 or the body cannot use the D3.
Actually, D3 doesn't need K2 for absorption. But the K2 is essential for directing the calcium that D3 activates in your system.

In the absence of vitamin K2, calcium circulating in the body that has been absorbed from food by vitamin D is deposited in the soft tissues of your body and in your arteries rather than in your bones and teeth, leading to arteriosclerosis, and joint and tissue pain from the accumulated deposits and also contributes to arthritis.

There have been some studies re taking D3 at the same time as K2 and it seems to be wiser to take them separated by an hour or two, just in case ....
Same with magnesium
Absolutely!!! D3 uses enormous amounts of magnesium during it's absorption and utilization, sucking it up like a Kansas tornado over a corn field, and since most of us are already deficient in mag, whatever our body needs in order to utilize the D3 we take will be sucked out of our bones and teeth ....

EDIT .... SEVERAL TYPOS, BUT WHO'S COUNTING ....

Last edited:

Wayne

In the absence of vitamin K2, calcium circulating in the body that has been absorbed from food by vitamin D is deposited in the soft tissues of your body and in your arteries rather than in your bones and teeth, leading to arteriosclerosis,

Hi @YippeeKi YOW !! -- I did quite a bit of research into sodium thiosulfate (STS) several years ago, and discovered it's one of the best substances for removing calcium deposits in the body. STS is the same substance that gives sulfur hot springs their rotten egg smell; but I guess that's probably what makes them so therapeutic, right? :)

YippeeKi YOW !!

Oh @Wayne, thank you !!! When I work up the courage, I'll give it a look and a try and then give it to DB (I'm the canary in mineshaft .... if it doesnt kill me, he tries it next .... my rule, not his) ....

On my second ill-conceived trip to an ER, they found calcium deposits in/on an aorta, which wasnt good news .... then they ripped my last good vein apart, even worse news ....

XLNT tip, and thank you again !!!!

Violeta

I think I'm going to try some essential oils for tinnitus.

What is the best essential oil for tinnitus?

Cypress oil, ginseng oil, helichrysum oil, juniper oil, lavender oil, lilies oil, olive oil, onion oil, petitgrain oil, rehmannia oil and spotted orchis oil, are all alleged cures for tinnitus.

Emmarose47

Hi my tinnitus has been consistently up there this past few wks... Always left side..
What i don't understand is why it increases when I'm using my eye sight on line?
Anyone have any background info on this?