• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Scared to get covid vaccine

Emmarose47

Yes, I would agree with this. Actually it was an interesting experience. There are still times when I think I must have done something to have caused ME/CFS or if I only managed it better it would improve or even go away. Feeling icky after the vaccine, and then feeling better again (well, you know what better is like with this disease) brought home to me again that this ME/CFS is not my fault and I can't control it. It's just something that my body is doing. Just as my body responded to the vaccine like it should have and then got over it. ME/CFS is something it can't get over.
I hear you wabi
Glad something helped to aid the not blaming ourselves thing ...
It's a very tricky condition to manage hugely so

Emmarose47

It's hard to as there is so much info out there. A good starting point is to consider if you have had a bad reaction to a vaccine in the past, if not then that reduces the chances of getting a bad reaction to the covid jab. Next- what are your chances of catching covid? How many people do you interact with on a regular basis? Do you trust them to take basic precautions like washing their hands ect?
Thanks Andy
No reactions to Vax in the past ..
I'm exposed to some people but minimal overall ...

Emmarose47

I'm not sure what the situation here in AB is like now: does the demand for the vaccine still outnumber the supply? I rarely go into town, so I'm in no rush to take someone else's more-needed vaccine.

Has there been another discussion here about PWME who have had bad reactions to the vaccine(s)?
I've searched discussions and there is one thread but I didn't hear about bad reactions ...
More than normal pem anyway which of course is bad enough ...
People were pointing to the FB group there is for m.e CFS and covid vacs

Emmarose47

I'm planning to become an unvaccinated lepper though, shunned from all society and not able to even buy food, we are gonna start a little commune in the wilderness for all the unvaccined around the world. Its not really a question of science but a question of spirituality and your independent will vs submitting to the elites.
Count me in I'm there !

Emmarose47

There is a FB group that discusses this topic with far more info and experiences that you'll find here.

Most people have done fine with it. The NE/CFS Clinician's Coalition has come out strongly in favor of it. Theyve also posted advice for how to support your body to reduce problems - you can look on Nancy Klimas' site for the list..

My doctor advised me to take mast cell stabilizers and antihistamines before,🐸 during and after, which helped greatly. AZ firs seem to have more side effects, do perhaps If you have a choice you might choose a different one. However being protected against COVID and the potential for death or long term damage to various systems is why we are doing this. And to protect others who are vulnerable, with compromised immune systems.
That's great! So did I!
Agreed!! Good for you!!🤗
Thanks what mast cell and anti hist did u take and where would I purchase ?

nerd

Blood clots form in the general population at about the same rate as the immunizations.

The younger the vaccinated are the greater the risks. This applies to vaccines in general. Older people have weaker immunological reactions, so they need larger doses. But you know medicine. They want homogeneous large multi-centered RCTs. That means the same dosage for all age groups, body weight, and for both genders; even for children. When you adjust the dosage to these factors, your overall risk would decrease quite a bit. This is possible in a large multi-centered RCT, but this is too complicated for them. They want it simple. They don't want gender-specific dosages and all these "annoying considerations".

Last edited:

Rufous McKinney

Thanks ....I'm wondering how about if the day I'm due to have it I'm in a crash already ?

It would make some sense to: several days prior- stock up on food supplies and easy to eat things so you can be fully resting.

Do not do things the two days before- treat them as major Vacation Days. Really just rest and try to be relaxed.

For me, I'll likely need a few crumbs of Xanax for the pre anxiety. So I remain chill.

Emmarose47

The Astra Zeneca vaccine has a risk of over one percent for people aged under 30. And this isn't normal thromboembolism we're talking about. Even the risk for thromboembolism in this age group (among the general population) is much much smaller. The younger the vaccinated are the greater the risks. This applies to vaccines in general. Older people have weaker immunological reactions, so they need larger doses. But you know medicine. They want homogeneous large multi-centered RCTs. That means the same dosage for all age groups, body weight, and for both genders; even for children. When you adjust the dosage to these factors, your overall risk would decrease quite a bit. This is possible in a large multi-centered RCT, but this is too complicated for them. They want it simple. They don't want gender-specific dosages and all these "annoying considerations".
Thanks
I think my main concern is if it affects the immune system or CFS in a negative way long term ...
Have u read anything about this ?

Azayliah

Here are my thoughts.

I'm getting vaccinated despite the risks. I had to go to the hospital for a bad reaction to a vaccine when I was very little, that made me nervous about getting vaccinated. However, I also have risk factors that increase my chances of a severe case of covid (issues w/heart, blood sugar, obesity, and asthma). The risk of being killed--or, worse, permanently sicker and/or more disabled--by covid is greater vs. the risk of the vaccine, so I'm taking my chances with the vaccine.

I considered continuing to isolate, but it's not realistic to expect myself to be able to do this long-term... it's just not always possible to avoid others. For example, about once a year the fire alarm system malfunctions and all tenants have to evacuate (so it's always a big crowd), and my maskless neighbors also don't seem to understand social distancing or personal space. If I have to go to a medical center the chances of being near covid patients is very high, and things like local forest fires and winter air pollution trigger severe asthma attacks so there is a real possibility I'll have to make a visit. Also, I'd like to see my friends and family sometimes, and whether they get vaccinated or not they can still carry the virus, so I need to protect myself to be safely near them.

I had my first shot about a week and a half ago. It seemed to get rid of the migraine I'd woken up to that day, but also caused some negative effects and strong brain fog. I'm not looking forward to the second shot, but since the symptoms all cleared up after about a week, I'm feeling pretty good about my chances.

godlovesatrier

Personally I would gauge it based on how well you recover from things. If you eventually bounce back or not. It might not be worth the risk if you don't really recover from colds or viruses or certain treatments you may have tried.

Learner1

Thanks what mast cell and anti hist did u take and where would I purchase ?
I took ketotifen, diphenhydramine, montelukast, quercetin and curcumin. Quercetin, curcumin and diphenhydramine are over the counter in the US, while the others are prescription. You could probably take Allegra, Claritin, Zyrtec which are H1 antihistamines, and Pepcid for H2. Cromolyn sodium would be helpful, too.

andyguitar

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-05-11 Winton Centre Cambridge.png
    Screenshot_2021-05-11 Winton Centre Cambridge.png
    325 KB · Views: 13

Wishful

I tried booking a vaccine online yesterday. I tried four pharmacies and the local hospital. I couldn't get any of the pages to actually work. Even the hospital one had two entry fields that were skinny boxes that wouldn't let me enter text (yes, I sent feedback). If this sort of problem is widespread, it's surprising that anyone in Alberta has been vaccinated. I'll wait until they actually make it possible to book a vaccination.

Emmarose47

I tried booking a vaccine online yesterday. I tried four pharmacies and the local hospital. I couldn't get any of the pages to actually work. Even the hospital one had two entry fields that were skinny boxes that wouldn't let me enter text (yes, I sent feedback). If this sort of problem is widespread, it's surprising that anyone in Alberta has been vaccinated. I'll wait until they actually make it possible to book a vaccination.
I hear you ..
I've been going through a process for some wks of having a nurse come out to me ( housebound pretty much ) .
Apparently the doctor is not authorizing me as housebound ( probably because I dared to go out and then crashed after ) .
So I need to have a conversation with her next wk .. .
I've decided I'm going to go ahead and have it and am grateful for all the feedback from people . It seems a large population of m.e suffers are opting to have it .
My nearest place showing to go to with scooter access is a large stadium 3 miles away . I just know even if I pushed to go the people , experience , stress etc would be high in causing a flare ...
So I need it at home and will action that to happen ...