• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Scared to get covid vaccine

Emmarose47

Hi
I feel scared to get the vaccine ..
I know there is no certainty and the risks of not having it seem to outway the risks of having it ( as.far as it seems to this point ..
Many of us CFS suffers are having it ..
Could I get people's thoughts and research they have read please ...
I can't seem to make an informed decision ...
I've been holdin out here in the UK and now they are vaccinating the 40+ group which is me ...

wabi-sabi

Don't be scared. :)

I took it and now I feel greatly relieved I am safe(er). Yes, I felt awful for a few days, but I think that's an OK price for not getting a disease that I very much believe would kill me. Just do what you normally do when you need to do something that will make you crash. I spent extra time lying on the sofa, put lots of ready meals in the freezer, and even wailed on the phone to my mother. But it all turned out OK.

Rufous McKinney

I know there is no certainty and the risks of not having it seem to outway the risks of having it ( as.far as it seems to this point .

Same here. I just don't sign up to: Feel Even Worse.

I don't willingly ever want to- get worse. Autoimmune illness is not fun. The thought that could get worse- is not desirable.

and what if this tinnitis: gets worse? the yucky neurologies? The swellings and pain.

For me: I rarely leave my apartment, and its about 1 hour if I manage to get out of here, and I'm not near crowded places, I don't go to events, I don't do MOST things we worry about- catching it.

However: catching it sounds HORRIFIC and WORSE Than- vaccine side effects.

My husband is who does most errands, he is extremely careful and he NEVER gets sick, has the great immune system (he has issues, believe me, but infectious illness isn'st one of them).

We have sort of decided we won't get vaccinated unless we: decide to go to an airport.

Which who knows when that might happen at the present rate?

Or: we may just do it and: chalk it up to an E ticket ride adventure.

Other- factors to consider-

that it keeps mutating, that by next fall the current vaccine might not work. Have to get yet another. So its a more or less continuous and repeated- Keep Getting Vaccinated.

Keep shocking immune systems WE don't understand are already sick and can't explain why.

And the general disregard for atypical conditoins- Just get WHATEVER vaccine you find youself standing nearby.
thats really irresponsible to say to people who have other conditions.

And for what its worth: shot locations seem risky to me: as I've gotten sick after being inside a pharmacy for 20 minutes. I don't even enter pharmacies any longer, after that one.

Rufous McKinney

I spent extra time lying on the sofa, put lots of ready meals in the freezer, and even wailed on the phone to my mother. But it all turned out OK.

I expect to feel lousy after a vaccination, and thats not surprising at all.

My concerns are more about- longer term effects. Weeks later etc.

But the idea that it might actually reboot something in the immune system, well thats almost an exciting Positive.:thumbsup:

I also think the entire Get the Shot is an Anxiety event and so: taking a little something to reduce that anxiety is a good plan for Shot Day.

wabi-sabi

and the risks of not having it seem to outway the risks of having
Yes, I would agree with this. Actually it was an interesting experience. There are still times when I think I must have done something to have caused ME/CFS or if I only managed it better it would improve or even go away. Feeling icky after the vaccine, and then feeling better again (well, you know what better is like with this disease) brought home to me again that this ME/CFS is not my fault and I can't control it. It's just something that my body is doing. Just as my body responded to the vaccine like it should have and then got over it. ME/CFS is something it can't get over.

andyguitar

It's hard to as there is so much info out there. A good starting point is to consider if you have had a bad reaction to a vaccine in the past, if not then that reduces the chances of getting a bad reaction to the covid jab. Next- what are your chances of catching covid? How many people do you interact with on a regular basis? Do you trust them to take basic precautions like washing their hands ect?

Wishful

I'm not sure what the situation here in AB is like now: does the demand for the vaccine still outnumber the supply? I rarely go into town, so I'm in no rush to take someone else's more-needed vaccine.

Has there been another discussion here about PWME who have had bad reactions to the vaccine(s)?

Reading_Steiner

I'm planning to become an unvaccinated lepper though, shunned from all society and not able to even buy food, we are gonna start a little commune in the wilderness for all the unvaccined around the world. Its not really a question of science but a question of spirituality and your independent will vs submitting to the elites.

wabi-sabi

I'm not sure what the situation here in AB is like now: does the demand for the vaccine still outnumber the supply?
I'm not sure the situation there, but my state has done a good job on prioritizing most vulnerable to getting the vaccine first. I felt it was OK for me to take it when offered and that I wasn't taking it away from someone else who needs it more. But it is always a good thing to consider.

wabi-sabi

shunned from all society and not able to even buy food, we are gonna start a little commune in the wilderness for all the unvaccined around the world.
COVID, like any public health issue can only be solved when we all work together. Yes, I got my vaccine to protect me and my family, but I also got it to protect you and yours. If I need to get a booster later on I will and I'll do it to protect you as much as to protect me. I'd much rather have you be a part of my community than hiding alone in the woods. That's not meant to sound snarky. This is all of our problem and we can all be part of the solution. None of us can do it alone.

Strawberry

I got it (well one of two) because my mom is about to turn 90, and my daughter is coming here for the party, and help eliminate stuff so I can move. I’m also less afraid of the vaccine than actually getting sick. I had one good day, but a good handful of couch potato days. I have no idea if it’s vaccine induced, I’m just glad I won’t die.

edit to add to emmarose, definitely stock up the freezer first. I wish I had done that.

I'm planning to become an unvaccinated lepper though, shunned from all society and not able to even buy food, we are gonna start a little commune in the wilderness for all the unvaccined around the world. Its not really a question of science but a question of spirituality and your independent will vs submitting to the elites.

Where you at? I’m in!!! I’m a gardener and a prepper, and even though I’m half way through the vaccine, this life appeals to me! You can pm me if you wish. I’m moving out of my suburb house to possibly the wilderness anyway. I’ll have my tribe, but always fun to talk.

Learner1

I know there is no certainty and the risks of not having it seem to outway the risks of having it ( as.far as it seems to this point ..
Many of us CFS suffers are having it ..
Could I get people's thoughts and research they have read please ...
I've been holdin out here in the UK and now they are vaccinating the 40+ group which is me ...
There is a FB group that discusses this topic with far more info and experiences that you'll find here.

Most people have done fine with it. The NE/CFS Clinician's Coalition has come out strongly in favor of it. Theyve also posted advice for how to support your body to reduce problems - you can look on Nancy Klimas' site for the list..

My doctor advised me to take mast cell stabilizers and antihistamines before,🐸 during and after, which helped greatly. AZ firs seem to have more side effects, do perhaps If you have a choice you might choose a different one. However being protected against COVID and the potential for death or long term damage to various systems is why we are doing this. And to protect others who are vulnerable, with compromised immune systems.

I took it and now I feel greatly relieved I am safe(er).
That's great! So did I!
I also see getting the vaccine as a way to help out my community. It's true I don't get out much, but any bulwark against the virus is a win to me.
Agreed!! Good for you!!🤗

@Emmarose47 -

I felt nervous about getting the vaccine, too. I was most worried about triggering a worsening of my symptoms, which obviously none of us want! I suppose that is what worries you, too?

I decided to get the vaccine because I thought getting the actual virus would be riskier than getting the vaccine for my symptoms and health.

The first shot didn't cause any symptoms except a sore arm and the second shot caused me to have some flu like symptoms. I felt crummy the evening after my shot and the next day, and got better after that (back to my normal baseline that is). Surprisingly, several of my friends who don't have ME/CFS had worse reactions than I did. My partner was in bed resting much of the day after his shot, but he bounced back quickly after that.

I'm now a ways out from the second shot and think that the short term symptoms were worth it to get some protection from the virus, peace of mind, and ability to hug those outside of my COVID bubble again.:hug:

lenora

I don't know...going without the vaccine seems like playing with fire. I think everyone can expect a sore arm, severe chills (for either the first or second one) and a general flu like feeling for one of the rounds. This doesn't seem to extend beyond 24 hrs.

My husband and I both had vaccines....his was Moderna and mine was Pfizer. I had fewer side-effects than he did (and he didn't complain about his...I could just tell). I can't speak for everyone, but feel I also have to protect my loved ones b/c they protect me.

Yes, we'll have to have boosters, but then they're common with many immunizations. More is being found out each day, much of the info conflicting. There will never be a guarantee, no matter how long one waits. The fact is that the pharmaceuticals are going to protect themselves and will never issue one.

Blood clots form in the general population at about the same rate as the immunizations. It's up to each person to decide what they're going to do, but please think of all of the implications. Try to understand what you can...and make your decision from that. I can only tell you that I have feel that I've accomplished something by having it, something I didn't expect. Yours, Lenora.

Emmarose47

I took it and now I feel greatly relieved I am safe(er). Yes, I felt awful for a few days, but I think that's an OK price for not getting a disease that I very much believe would kill me. Just do what you normally do when you need to do something that will make you crash. I spent extra time lying on the sofa, put lots of ready meals in the freezer, and even wailed on the phone to my mother. But it all turned out OK.
Thanks ....I'm wondering how about if the day I'm due to have it I'm in a crash already ?
I've asked to have it at home ...
Unwise move to have it already in a crash ? Postpone it ?

Emmarose47

I expect to feel lousy after a vaccination, and thats not surprising at all.

My concerns are more about- longer term effects. Weeks later etc.

But the idea that it might actually reboot something in the immune system, well thats almost an exciting Positive.:thumbsup:

I also think the entire Get the Shot is an Anxiety event and so: taking a little something to reduce that anxiety is a good plan for Shot Day.
Have u heard of anyone having continued better PEM rufous ?