• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

SAME/Methionine

ljimbo423

I was just diagnosed as an undermethylator but I cannot take SAME or METH due to Sulfur Intolerance. Is there any way to take these indirectly? Precursors?

Methionine is the precusor for SAM-e and methionine is an amino acid. I don't know of any precusors to methionine. Methylcobalamin and methylfolate will increase methylation and SAM-e, I'm pretty sure.

ljimbo423

I don't know if this will help you but it shows the folate and methionine cycles.

1551730702674.png

https://www.google.com/search?q=met...g#imgdii=y8K63-857kdxYM:&imgrc=2-Zur22Qxh8fxM:

Wayne

I was just diagnosed as an undermethylator but I cannot take SAME or METH due to Sulfur Intolerance. Is there any way to take these indirectly? Precursors?
I recently did a fair amount of research on Sodium Thiosulfate, and came across a reference I wish I would have saved. As I recall, it essentially said the this substance (very inexpensive) can sometimes by used by people who are otherwise sulfur intolerant. Sodium thiosulfate BTW is the substance that gives off the sulfur smell at sulfur hot springs that many people with arthritis and pain issues flock to.

I also read that epsom salts (known for their magnesium content) also contains significant amounts of sulfur. They said the sulfur content is responsible for quite a bit of the benefit of epsom salts baths. This might be an option if you can take it transdermally. -- DMSO and MSM are also sulfur compounds that are fairly related to sodium thiosulfate. -- Good luck...