• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

SamE bulk powder vs coated tablets?

Hi,

I need large amounts of SamE (and I’ve tried every trick in the book to compensate with other nutrients—trust me!).

This is quite expensive and so I’ve started looking into buying SamE powder in bulk. However, most manufacturers make their SamE as enteric coated tablets to enhance absorption, which suggests that powder is useless.

But is enteric coating really necessary for someone with low stomach acid? I could imagine that sublingual absorption would work quite well (it does with other amino acids).

If anyone has tried pure SamE powder, please share your experiences. Thank you!

Carl

The powder is hygroscopic and even small amounts such as 10 grams will spoil very quickly even in a sealed packet. I have purchased small amounts of the powder and with use the rest became sticky and unusable.

Hygroscopic is the ability of a substance to absorb or adsorb moisture/water from its surroundings.

Quite a number of supplements do this but SAM-e is worse than most.

The Increased Permeability of your stomach will mean that you can absorb things easier, it is one of the biggest problems with CFS and hypochlorhydria might help somewhat but whether it will be enough to stop the SAM-e from being altered is difficult to say for sure.

Thank you, Carl. I do know that SamE is very unstable and was planning to request that they pack the powder in individual air- and lightproof bags of 800 mg (=one single dose); this is doable for an additional fee. Would that change your opinion?

Carl

It might be worth you getting a small number as a trial and also get some enteric coated tablets and test each for a few days to check for any difference.

Are enteric coated tablets significantly more expensive than the powder? If the difference is not too big then I still think that the enteric coated would avoid any problems with bioavailability and might be the better option. However it might be worth testing to find out whether there is any difference in your experience.

pamojja

Don't know if this helps, but made the experience with drinking water with a teaspoon full of ascorbic acid, that it alleviates my strong rhinitis symptoms (sneezing fits) within 10 minutes. Since that is also about the time it takes plain drunken water on an empty stomach to hit the blood via the intestines, I must assume the water just carries the disolved ascorbic acid with it. Might work with SAMe disolved in water and on an empty stomach too.

Hip

I need large amounts of SamE (and I’ve tried every trick in the book to compensate with other nutrients—trust me!).

You don't mention what S-adenosyl-methionine (SAM-e) does for you, but SAM-e is a methyl donor, and if that's the reason it benefits, possibly you might find similar benefits from other methyl donors such as trimethylglycine (TMG) or betaine HCl (which is used to treat low stomach acid). TMG you can buy in bulk powder quite cheaply.