• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Safe to drink a lot of sparkling mineral water?

outdamnspot

I noticed a slight uptick in my health (basically, just less disabling crashes) since I began binge-drinking sparkling mineral water 2 weeks ago. I seem to really crave the stuff, and it helps with satiety, digestion etc.

I had a bad episode yesterday, which I think may have been triggered by something else (I'll ask about it in the appropriate forum), but it did make me wonder if it's safe to consume a lot of sparkling mineral water? I am probably having 1.5-3L a day. One theory I had was that I may be Magnesium deficient, since my diet is meat-based, and it's helping correct that? It's a supermarket brand, so unfortunately the exact nutritional information isn't available, but with 1-2 bottles of mineral water a day, is there any risk of overdoing it in regards to calcium, Mg intake etc.?

Wolfcub

If it is marketed as "mineral water" or spring water, there usually are ingredients/mineral content somewhere on the label (??). Unless it is one of the super-cheap ones (which may be anything !)

I always drink sparkling mineral or genuine spring water ! About a litre a day, sometimes a little more. I like it and am pretty addicted to it over many years :D But I don't have any personal health issue about the mineral content. In fact, for me, it is a good source of some minerals.
But of course for you, it might be a whole different thing, and you need to make sure you are not overdoing some mineral....

valentinelynx

It seems to be kind of hit or miss whether a mineral water brand shows its mineral content on the bottle. Some sparkling water isn't really mineral water, but rather just purified water with carbonation. But if it is mineral water, I just discovered a neat site that will show you the mineral content of different brands of water! It's supported by Gerolsteiner, which makes a very high mineral content sparkling water: Gerolsteiner: The Mineral Calculator.

pamojja

exact nutritional information isn't available, but with 1-2 bottles of mineral water a day, is there any risk of overdoing it in regards to calcium, Mg intake etc.?

Most cheap supermaket mineral waters have too little minerals to worry even if drinking 3 liters a day, with the exception of calcium with some maybe. I do however drink one with the highest elemental magnesium content of 1030 mg per liter. And such speciality mineral waters would definitely cause difficulties. In the case of Rogadska Donat Mg water, already 1 glass solves very severe constipation for most. And more would simply cause outright diarhea.

Wolfcub

Oh....I didn't think about this....it may be different in the US.
Here in UK, any mineral/spring water, sparkling or still (which is true mineral /spring water) is clearly labelled with how many mg of each mineral per litre. The name and locationof the source is also clearly listed.

There are some bottles of water (usually store's own brand and in the "savers" range) which are incredibly cheap (17p for 2 litres last time I bought one !) And they have no ingredients on the label except water and carbon dioxide. This is either tap water or filtered tap water.

outdamnspot

Most cheap supermaket mineral waters have too little minerals to worry even if drinking 3 liters a day, with the exception of calcium with some maybe. I do however drink one with the highest elemental magnesium content of 1030 mg per liter. And such speciality mineral waters would definitely cause difficulties. In the case of Rogadska Donat Mg water, already 1 glass solves very severe constipation for most. And more would simply cause outright diarhea.

I read for a water to be listed as a mineral water (as opposed to spring water) it has to have a certain mineral content. So I'm likely not getting much benefit from a supermarket brand?

Hopeful1976

Beware. I was like you and drinking loads, became quite addicted to the stuff, but the bicarbonate in it knocked out my electrolytes. I began suffering full body muscle facilitations, and began feeling poorly. Once I figured out what was causing it, i stopped the fizz, binged on potassium foods and the symptoms eased and ceased. So watch out

ebethc

outdamnspot

How does a meat-heavy diet increase the need for Mg?

I feel better when I drink Pellegrino in moderation. It has a broad range of minerals; I've taken a trace mineral supplement, and didn't get the same benefits, so go figure....
https://www.delish.com/food/g3154/history-san-pellegrino-facts/

I was always told we lose electrolytes on Keto and need to replace them. However, I can't tolerate Mg supplements.

As an aside, would it be a stretch to think excessive use of plastic water bottles could be a trigger in leaky gut? Been wondering if there might be a link with worsening gut symptoms the past week.