• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Revised Simplified Methylation Protocol (August 25, 2012 Revision)

Soundthealarm21

I have been having a difficult time breathing after taking L-Methylfolate and my lungs seem to fill up as though I was a smoker. It seems to go away after I take Niacin.

It's a double edged sword because I need the methylfolate for extreme depression right now but I'm having incredibly scary respiratory side effects.

Would taking L-Methylfolate and methyl cobalamin together make a difference? Anybody know what could be happening?

Please advise.

Whit

5. 1200 milligrams of lecithin. If finances permit, instead of lecithin, drink a 2-ounce
bottle of Smart Youthful Energy (NT-Factor)(Pure liposomal glycophospholipids)

Smart Youthful Energy is wafers now. Dose? 1/day?

Ok to take both? 1200 milligrams of lecithin & 1 wafer of Smart Youthful Energy?

More? Seems good for me.

Take wafers with food?

Last edited:
Hi, all.

Various versions of the Simplified Methylation Protocol have been in use now for about five and a half years, and we have gained considerable experience with it. It is currently being used by clinicians and people with ME/CFS (PWMEs) in several other countries in addition to the U.S. Most who try it report benefit from it. A few have reported complete recovery, but most will need additional types of treatment to achieve complete recovery, and this is an area of ongoing research.

On May 30, 2012, I posted a request for input on possible changes to the Simplified Methylation Protocol (SMP) on the Phoenix Rising ME/CFS forum and to the Yahoo cfs_yahoo group. Quite a few people tried supplements that I was considering and posted comments about their experiences. Several offered advice. Thank you to all who responded.

As expected, different people had different experiences, and not all the comments were in agreement with each other. This is inherent, given that each person is unique, though we all share the same basic biochemical scheme, and it makes the formulation of a “one-size-for-all” protocol very challenging.

I have reached conclusions about what I will recommend for now. There may be additional changes in the future, as more experience is gained and we learn more about how to treat ME/CFS. I will present the “bottom line” first, and then discuss the rationale behind the choices, together with some additional options, for those who are interested.

Here is the revised Simplified Methylation Protocol as of today, August 25, 2012:

(AS ALWAYS, I RECOMMEND THAT ANYONE ON THIS TYPE OF TREATMENT BE UNDER THE CARE OF A LICENSED PHYSICIAN. Even though this protocol consists only of nutritional supplements, a small number of people have reported experiencing serious adverse effects while on it. If this occurs, the protocol should be discontinued.)

1. Neurological Health Formula (Holistic Health, Inc.) (Multivitamin-multimineral, plus
additional nutrients): Swallow one-quarter tablet and increase to 2 tablets daily. Go
up to 6 tablets daily if tolerated.
2. Activated B12 Guard (Perque) (2,000-microgram lozenge of hydroxocobalamin):
Take one lozenge per day, sublingually.
3. FolaPro (Metagenics) (800-microgram tablet of 5L-methyltetrahydrofolate): Swallow
one-quarter tablet daily, which amounts to 200 micrograms per day.
4. Folinic acid (800 micrograms of 5-formyltetrahydrofolate): Swallow one-quarter
tablet or one-quarter of the contents of a capsule daily, which amounts to 200
micrograms per day.
5. Lecithin (1200-milligram softgel): Swallow one softgel per day, which amounts to
1200 milligrams of lecithin. If finances permit, instead of lecithin, drink a 2-ounce
bottle of Smart Youthful Energy (NT-Factor)(Pure liposomal glycophospholipids)
daily.

All these supplements except Smart Youthful Energy can be obtained from www.holisticheal.com, or all but the first one can be obtained from other sources. I do not have a financial interest in any of these supplements. A pill splitter (available from drugstores) will be needed to split tablets. These supplements can be taken with or without food. Different times of the day work better for different people, in regard to effects on sleep. It is best to start with lower dosages than those suggested above and to work up slowly, to check for tolerance. Some people have found that they are very sensitive to these supplements, and can take only much smaller dosages. Others find that they need somewhat larger dosages than those suggested. For those who wish to start the supplements one at a time, I suggest starting with the Neurological Health Formula first, then adding the lecithin, then the B12, and finally the folates, with FolaPro last.

In making this revision, I have been guided by the following goals:

1. To provide effective treatment to correct the vicious circle mechanism that I believe to be the core of the pathophysiology of ME/CFS, involving glutathione depletion, a functional B12 deficiency, a partial block of the methylation cycle, and loss of folates from the cells. This vicious circle mechanism is described by the Glutathione Depletion—Methylation Cycle Block hypothesis for the etiologies, pathogenesis and pathophysiology of ME/CFS. This hypothesis cannot be regarded as scientifically proven, but as far as I know, it is consistent with the current body of published research on ME/CFS.

2. To use only nonprescription nutritional supplements that are available via the internet.

3. To use supplements that are available from a single source, where possible.

4. To keep the protocol simple, with a minimum number of supplements, while preserving its effectiveness.

5. To keep the cost low while preserving effectiveness.

6. To improve the effectiveness of the protocol over that of the previous version, and in particular to increase its likelihood of being effective for more of the ME/CFS population.

7. To preserve the ability of individuals to adjust dosages of individual supplements to match their tolerances and needs.

8. To preserve the relevance of the clinical study of an earlier version of the protocol by Dr. Neil Nathan, M.D., and myself, to the degree possible.

With those goals in mind, I will discuss each of the supplements in the revised protocol.

1. Neurological Health Formula: I have decided to continue recommending this multi for a variety of reasons. First, we have a track record with it that shows that it is helpful to most PWMEs. It contains the vitamins and essential minerals to cover possible nutritional deficiencies, as well as several supplements to support the methylation cycle and related pathways that are not in other multis. Use of this multi allows the active folates to be given separately, so that people can adjust their dosages separately from that of the multi. The cost is reasonable.

This formula does have some disadvantages as well, in my opinion. It lacks copper and iron, which are essential nutrients, and which are deficient in some PWMEs, but which are also capable of promoting oxidative stress if present in excess as free ions. This formula is also rather low in some of the other essential nutrients. Thus, it would be wise to test for levels of vitamins and essential minerals and add appropriate supplements if some are low (see below).

This formula includes some folic acid and some cyanocobalamin, which I do not prefer.
Folic acid is not utilized well by some people, and it competes for absorption and transport with the active forms of folate. Cyanocobalamin contains cyanide, but the amount in this multi should be well dealt with, especially since so much more hydroxocobalamin will enter the blood with this protocol.

The fact that this formula includes several extra nutrients can be a disadvantage for some PWMEs who have sensitivities to one or more of the ingredients, and thus are not able to
take the formula. These people will need to explore other alternatives for covering possible deficiencies in vitamins and essential minerals, and they may also need some of the additional nutrients that are in this formula.

I had considered use of the Thorne Basic V supplement, and some people tried it and reported that they did well with it. However, others did not respond well to it, and use of it does not allow separate adjustment of dosages for the active folates, which some PWMEs must limit to very small amounts because they react very strongly to it. Also, this multi does not include some of the helpful nutrients that are in the Neuro Health Formula, and it does include lipoic acid, which reportedly can mobilize and redeposit mercury if not dosed frequently enough.

2. Activated B12 Guard: This was used in earlier versions of the protocol to supply the high dosage of B12 that is needed to overcome the functional B12 deficiency. In the previous version of the SMP, I changed the recommendation to Hydroxy B12 Megadrops taken under the tongue. Several people have reported that this has not been as effective as the Perque Activated B12 Guard, so I am now changing back to that. Perhaps the length of time that the liquid drops are in contact with the mucosa is just too short to allow enough absorption sublingually.

I had also considered changing the form of B12 to methylcobalamin. Some PWMEs do need to use this form, particularly if their glutathione and/or S-adenosylmethionine are very low. However, use of hydroxocobalamin is a “gentler” approach to lifting the partial methylation cycle block, and many PWMEs need such an approach. Use of hydroxocobalamin also keeps the cells in control of the rate of the methylation cycle, preventing it from being overdriven, which slows the rise of glutathione. So I have decided to stay with hydroxocobalamin as the first form of B12 to try. For people who do not get a response from the SMP within a couple of months, switching to methylcobalamin would be an option to try. Another option would be to try adding some adenosylcobalamin (dibencozide). However, I do not favor raising the overall dosage of B12 very much above 2,000 micrograms per day, and especially not when it is combined with dosages of methyfolate that are much above the RDA range of 400 to 800 micrograms per day. This combination can overdrive the methylation cycle and hinder the rise of glutathione.

3. FolaPro: This was also used in earlier versions. In the previous version, I changed the recommendation to the liquid MethylMate B, on the basis of convenience, not having to split tablets. However, I have received reports that some PWMEs have a sensitivity to something in MethylMate B. Therefore, I am now changing back to FolaPro. Solgar Metafolin could be used instead, and it is probably less expensive, but it also contains additional additives, including mannitol and magnesium stearate, which may cause sensitivity problems for some people. The function of this supplement in the protocol is to replenish the form of folate directly needed by the methionine synthase reaction, which is partially blocked. This form has been depleted by reactions with peroxynitrite, and some people are not able to convert other forms of folate into methylfolate readily.

4. Folinic acid: This is a buffer form of folate that most people can readily convert to other active forms of folate. Its role in the protocol is to supply these other forms while the methionine synthase reaction has still not come up to normal. This is particularly important for making new DNA and RNA for replacing cells. In the early versions of the protocol, Actifolate was used to supply folinic acid. However, it also contains some folic acid, which I would prefer to minimize. Folinic acid can be obtained either in tablet or capsule form.

5. Lecithin: The role of lecithin is to help with repair of cell membranes, especially mitochondrial membranes, which have been damaged by oxidative stress. I suspect that the damaged mito membranes are one of the main reasons why many PWMEs have found that recovering their energy status is one of the slowest aspects of recovery from ME/CFS. In early versions of the SMP, I recommended phosphatidylserine complex to fill this role. However, the phosphatidylserine component tends to lower cortisol initially, and most PWMEs already have below-normal cortisol. Most lecithin is derived from soy, but for those who do not tolerate soy, lecithin is also available that is derived from sunflower, canola or eggs.

I have also recommended that if finances permit, it would be preferable to use Smart Youthful Energy rather than lecithin. This is more costly, but I think it would be worth it, for those who can afford it. Smart Youthful Energy is composed of a liposomal form of pure glycophospholipids of the types needed by the cell membranes, including the mitochondrial membranes. This product has the capability to deliver these lipids to where they are needed, unchanged. Unlike other NT Factor products, there are no additional supplements besides the lipids in this product. It is derived from soy, but it does not contain soy protein, and should not provoke any reactions. Use of these lipids constitutes what has been called “Lipid Replacement Therapy,” a trademarked name.
This approach has been tested by Dr. Garth Nicolson and others, and has been found to be very beneficial in conditions that involve fatigue, including ME/CFS.

6. Amino acids supplementation: I considered adding this to the protocol, because I have found that some PWCs are depleted in amino acids, but issues were raised by commenters, including the possibilities that this would provoke yeast growth or increased excitotoxicity or ammonia generation. Since I don’t have much experience with supplementation with free amino acids, I have decided not to add this now. Hopefully PWMEs can consume enough protein in their diets to supply the amino acids they need.
Those who are able to do lab testing will be able to determine their amino acids levels and correct them if necessary.

I want to add that I have written the above keeping in mind that many PWMEs are not able to do much if any lab testing, largely for financial reasons. However, I do want to note that my preference would be for people to do lab testing before entering upon this protocol, as well as other additional treatments that may be needed, as indicated by the results of testing.

I particularly favor running the methylation pathways panel that is offered by the Health Diagnostics and Research Institute in New Jersey, USA, and the European Laboratory of Nutrients (ELN) in the Netherlands. This panel will identify whether there is glutathione depletion, a partial methylation cycle block and folate depletion, and thus whether methylation treatment is likely to help. It will also provide baseline data
for comparison later, to gauge the progress of the treatment.

If there are problems with the digestive system, I favor running comprehensive stool analyses to identify them so that they can be treated. I particularly like the Metametrix G.I. Function Profile and the Diagnos-Techs Expanded G.I. Panel. If finances permit running both of them, I think it would be worthwhile. If not, I think I would choose the Metametrix panel. It is important to have the digestive system operating fairly well in order for the methylation protocol to work properly, because it is necessary to have sufficient absorption of nutrients and sufficient ability to excrete toxins, rather than recirculating them. Friendly bacteria produce some of the vitamins needed by the body. Also, correcting a “leaky gut” will take a major load off the immune system, which is dysfunctional in ME/CFS.

I also believe it is helpful to test for deficiencies in the vitamins, minerals and amino acids and augment those that are low. They can either be measured directly, as in the vitamin,minerals and amino acids panels offered by Health Diagnostics or the ELN, or by metabolic-type testing, such as with the Metametrix ION Profile or the Genova Diagnostics NutrEval Profile.

For people who suspect high body burdens of toxic metals, tests involving feces, urine and hair are available. High levels of some toxic metals can block enzymes in the methylation cycle and related pathways. Chelation treatment may be necessary to lower the levels enough to permit normal operation of this part of the metabolism.

People who are sensitive to biotoxins and are being exposed to them in their homes will need to correct this situation in order for the methylation protocol to be helpful to them.
I would particularly refer you to Dr. Ritchie Shoemaker’s website www.survivingmold.com.

I also want to note that increased excitotoxicity (causing anxiety, insomnia, nervousness and a “wired” feeling) has been reported by many people on the SMP. I believe that this is caused by an initial further drop in glutathione in the brain when this protocol is started. I have suggested that supplementing with L-cystine (not the same as L-cysteine) may help with this. However, people who have a high mercury body burden should not do this, because L-cystine has the potential to move mercury into the brain.

Best regards,

Rich Van Konynenburg

Dear Rich:

Thank you for that post. I am SO sick, for too long, and SO confused as to how to help myself. My internist never heard of methylation cycle, nor biotoxins. And DOES NOT want to know. I was a patient of Ritchie Shoemaker, but am too debilitated to make the two-day drive to him.

And I can't seem to find a mold-free living environment in Charleston SC, given the depletion of financial resources. Money can solve SOME problems for sure. I collect diagnoses, and positive tests for genetic defects. First, HLA-DR - inability to detox mold or tickborne biotoxins.

Now Methylation problem, tested by Holtorf Group (I am hearing the funds sucking me into overdraft now.) 2 copies of C677T mutation. Problem is - I am getting WORSE on their treatment, and cant ask a question without sending $325. High C4a and other cytokines, high TGIF-B1, low leptin, VEGF , ADH, VIP, MSH, now low Thyroid. Cortisol and all "reproduction" hormones in tank for years.

Always fighting electrolytes and dehydration. Hospitalized in 2008 for hyponatremia. Now serum sodium ok, but osmolality low, and potassium and iron testing low - new one. Test shows non existent for Vit D ON supplementation and in sun. High Lead, Mercury and some other heavy metals - probably made it wors when getting those fillings OUT.

Losing teeth to dry mouth (all the RootCanaled ones especially. Some kind of dermal Lupus. It just goes on. Enough Tale of Woe. POINT - I am on all these supplements and IM shots, DMAE and Diflucan-I believe low dose on last two. I am goig out of my mind! The agitation is extreme. Panic and anxiety through the roof. Cognitive decline scary.

And of course the million other symptoms, and Pain, hypertension 220/118 (which no one can explain), lost a lot of weight, to 88lbs from 135. I was always OVERweight.... loss of muscles mass and bone mass. Very little exercise, or even talking, wears me out to collapse. I know you cannot give medical advice. But can you tell me if you have seen - especially the agitation /over the top anxiety /panic - this before, and what seemed to help? More of something? Less of something?

There are so many ingredients in these supplements, I couldn't isolate it if I tried. And the binders and other crap. Once, as a teenager, I threw up on Niacin, but it turned our to be one of the "other ingredients" like magnesium stearate... I think thats in all of them. I am going to try your simplified protocol... Slowly. But any pearls of experiential wisdom would be SO HELPFUL.

Rich, I am at the end of my rope here. Paralyzed. And need to connect with someone. Help please...

Thank you SO MUCH!

Mari
kbkiddo at gmail dot com

Last edited:

brenda

Mari

Sorry to have to bear bad news but Rich has passed and we are all missing him still.

My own advice to you is to come off the supplements over a week or so (what are you taking?) Then you can slowly get back on the ones you really need. Also what is your diet?

Lotus97

Hi, guys. It's been awhile since anyone has posted in this so I thought I'd mention a few supplements that are affordable alternatives to the ones Richvank (aka Rich) recommends.

If anyone has any questions about methylation, feel free to send my a private message (start a conversation) as I'm not really active in the forums anymore.

I'm actually too tired to post about the supplements now. There are reasons why Rich chose the ones he did and I want to explain thoroughly the drawbacks and advantages to each one.

For example. Life Extension Two-Per-Day multivitamins are a great value and have methylfolate so you might not need to buy methylfolate separately. However, some people can't tolerate methylfolate at the beginning of methylation which is why Rich recommended the other multivitamin.

The Life Extension Multivitamin also has a small amount of Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA), which again is beneficial for most people (Freddd even has ALA in his protocol). However, some people have issues with mercury and could have problems with alpha lipoic acid which is another reason why Rich would probably not want to recommend the multi to everyone.

brenda

Hi

I am in the UK so can anyone tell me where I can get 5-formyltetrahydrofolate without the nasty fillers please?

Is there a spiritual successor to this protocol?

Also, how does one run all of the lab tests? Like the methylation pathways test? Does it have to go through a doctor's office or can you use a service like Quest Diagnosis? I reside in US.

Freddd

I have solved ALL of these problems for myself. It's a lot of work. I have found two more things that have to be included. Lithium orotate, which I titrated from 5 mg to 20 mg. It took 5 years with MeCbl, AdoCbl, methylfolate and L-carnitine (of one kind at a time and find the best working one and it can change) to make Transcobalamin Receptor -Li which then changes a B12 injection with serum half-life of 20-50 minutes out to beyond 24 hours before any B12 shows up in urine. The other thing for me is vitamin D. I can't absorb D3 at all orally. The only way that works for me is a UVB lamp which was just amazing. I suddenly started healing visibly with the bleeding skin fissures. A body needs hormones to have the precursors for making vit D with UVB lamp. The capillary bleeds in my skin stopped totally within week of UVB lamp usage after 2 years after testosterone reached 0.0 damage all over my body and almost killed me and caused both low hematocrit and high MCV.

Thank you @Freddd for your continued insight and everything you have discovered!

However, I have been trying your protocol and have had a lot of issues. I don't think your discoveries are wrong, but rather it is hard for me to follow with severe anxiety and multiple apparent paradoxical symptoms. Because of this I was thinking of switching to hydroxocobalamin (which I know you don't like).

For example, I follow your symptom lists (which is great) but when I hit potassium deficiencies I get extreme reactions. If I take half a powdered pill of potassium gluconate (1/2 of 99mg) my body makes it hard to breathe, locks up, and then eventually starts to feel better. It is very weird, and it is hardly any potassium in the first place. It is as if my body overreacts, even acts like I have too much potassium, then it realizes I am helping it and relaxes making me feel better. The further I get in your plan the more potassium I will need, and this whole process is very hard with anxiety and a sensitive CNS.

Previously I had experienced something like the above but with magnesium. I began taking it before the protocol and would feel great at first (so better than potassium) but later in the day I'd get much more sever deficiency symptoms than before I started it. Eventually this did seem to settle down, so I suppose the body gets used to it. However potassium being more time sensitive gives me more concern. Potassium symptoms can also very similar to magnesium, making it a little more difficult (cramps/muscle lock ups seem to always be potassium for me, but twitching and heart palpitations can be either).

I also tend to get a lot of shivering, which I still don't understand. I don't know its direct relation to anything other than anxiety causing it in the past. I think it may be related to my CNS being very hyperactive. Anxiety can induce it, deficiencies seem to induce it (maybe it is just anxiety triggered by deficiency), etc.

So I was wondering if there was a gentler approach simply because it is VERY hard to diagnose myself when my symptoms are overreactive and with anxiety. I suppose with practice I would get better, but is very overwhelming for me.

That said, I am still early on (2 weeks). I have heard it is the most difficult starting out, so maybe it is worth trying at least a month. It is just currently, it sometimes feels like torture. My body is starved and feeding it is complicated at the moment.

Freddd

I have add to major items that can also prevent methylation. Vit D3 is short for most people from October to April and can stop methylation as much as stopping methylfolate. Another is Lithium orotate 10-20 mg daily and it took 5 years for full effect but started with making more red cells in 2 hours of going from 4500 feet to 7000 feet altitude. Its the fastest refeeding deficiency of potassium. OI couldn't get copper enough to stpop being deficiency enough to have symptoms. Towards the end of 5 years my copper went up to mid range finally and stopped the deficiency symptoms;.

Thank you Freddd. I think I'll post more details in one of your threads and see what everyone thinks. Your symptom chart works really well for me, it is actually kind of scary.

I think what is making this complex for me is I think I have a great need for AdoCbl & Fumarate. So when things go wrong I get very dizzy, faint, muscle issues, etc and I have to add those (I would rather work up to them more slowly). I don't want to muddy up this forum, so I'll put details in one of your threads later.

Edit: I put more details and questions in the stages of methylation and healing thread.

Last edited:

Freddd

Something to remember. You start with everything, then start INCREASEING MeCbl AND THEN THE THINGS THAT NEED METHYLFOLATE WILL START PUSHING UP LOTS OF SYMPTYOMS. after the methylfolate usually within 3 days you will feel terrible and need potassium. Each of these thing will be titrated on symptoms demand increasing maybe 50 % per increase. It often goes back and forth between those with others like copper or other mineral that may take just one little amount added. You may not need the 60 mg of Metafolin like I do but you do need to go through a process of titration of multiple nutrients in turn. Only one increase is the one that is causing symptoms. Then you fix those and the next thing pops up. You will learn your bodies ways. Write all the changes in symptoms daily and what nutrients changed and pretty soon you woill know how your body needs.

Freddd

I have add to major items that can also prevent methylation. Vit D3 is short for most people from October to April and can stop methylation as much as stopping methylfolate. Another is Lithium orotate 10-20 mg daily and it took 5 years for full effect but started with making more red cells in 2 hours of going from 4500 feet to 7000 feet altitude. Its the fastest refeeding deficiency of potassium. OI couldn't get copper enough to stpop being deficiency enough to have symptoms. Towards the end of 5 years my copper went up to mid range finally and stopped the deficiency symptoms;.