• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Relaxation and waves of nausea, why?

Hufsamor

Every time I do relaxation exercises,
or if at any point my muscles "let go" (relaxes deeply)
I get those waves of nausea
and waves with a really uncomfortable feeling
through all my body, up my throat.

(it's so intense, I'm hesitating to go through the relaxation exercises
although I know it will feel better when the waves has calmed down.)

Anyone recognise this?
Or better- anyone knows why?
What is the reason for those waves?

(Except for the nausea I'm not able to explain the feeling, I know of nothing to compare with.)

Belbyr

I deal with chronic nausea along with bloating, abdominal pain, and sometimes a nauseated bolus feeling in my throat. These symptoms alone make up 80% of my illness. I get kinda what you are talking about. I was seeing a phycologist to see if he could help me manage the sickness and pain. We were doing relaxation exercises and it could almost feel like something was going to come up. The nausea would increase, I stopped going.

I later found out I have an enlarged esophagus along with a lot of trapped air in my intestines (which I had been complaining about). Doctors can lay one hand flat on my belly and knock on the backside of the flat hand with the other hand to make a 'drum/hollow' sound because of the air inside me. The latest doctor picked up on a esophagus abnormality from an upper barium GI series. My esophagus is enlarged (probably because of air) and the muscle where the upper sphincter is looks a little strange.

I have told GI doctors for years that I can't burp. My body tries to but it hits a wall in my throat and goes back down. This same GI doctor sent me for an esophageal manometry and a 24 hr PH/impedence test. He wants to see what the nerves/muscles are doing in great detail before he does something about it. I just completed those tests as of today and am waiting on results.

I don't know if you experience any of this, but thought I would throw all of this out there since it is kinda similar.

Hope4

Desert of SW USA
I'll post a couple of things, in case it might help.

@Hufsamor I'm sorry that happens to you. Are you doing the relaxation exercises lying down or sitting up? Perhaps a different position, or angle/incline? Or shorter duration of exercise? Less deeply? Different technique?

For sleeping, I must have my head raised, or I can get dizzy and queasy. It's odd, because when I do my exercises on the floor, on a mat, I have my head flat on the mat, or on a small, folded towel, and I rarely get dizzy or queasy doing this.

@Dechi By breathing deeply, do you mean low in your abdomen and back, or only breathing large amounts? Or quite rapidly? Does the dizziness happen with only one deep breath, or after several breaths? Here is a page at WebMD on Hyperventilation.

@Belbyr. I am really sorry this happens to you. I hope the doctors can do something to really help.

I am sending you all best thoughts for health. :)

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
Hallo @Hufsamor , I am a bit sorry for answering late. However:

Since I am improving in 2015 I had in autumn nausea issues, which I never had before.
They lasted only for a couple of weeks.
The last autumn it was instead a vomit reflex. It occured sometimes when I started to talk to ppl,
eg in a shop, then suddenly this reflex appeared, it usually stopped when I stopped talking.

Because in autumn I feel generel better - probabaly due to arising amounts of melatonin -,
I think it to be rather a sign of shifting into a better condition, at least in my case.
I don´t know if this could help to carry on with your relaxion exercises though.

Nausea (in my case) is probably a sudden worsening under much better conditions, I guess,
probabaly not a good sign in itself.

Best wishes.

YippeeKi YOW !!

@Hufsamor, @percyval577
It occured sometimes when I started to talk to ppl,
eg in a shop, then suddenly this reflex appeared, it usually stopped when I stopped talking.
Talking raises your blood pressure. This might have something to do with it?
Thanks for input:)
(And dont worry about late answer, I'm not going anywhere :hug:)
:D :D :rofl::rofl::rofl: :lol::lol::lol: :_:_ :xeyes::xeyes:
You're sooooo engagingly witty and funny, even when dealing with a seriously unpleasant and mysterious symptom !!!!

Wish I had better input for you. I sometimes get waves of a strange kind of like nausea but something else as well. I've always accepted it as part of this crappy little bat-shit illness, and because there were so many other things to look into and investigate and hopefully solve, or at least reduce, I never dug into this one.

If I come across anything, will definitely post here. In the meantime, love and hugs and hopes for help and/or improvement.

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
Talking raises your blood pressure. This might have something to do with it?
I don´t thing so, it felt rather mechanistic, like a misconnection of nerves. (Well, this is my personal guess anyway. More precisely, I think the brain makes short cuts, and the front is not as much connected to the back and vice versa than it should, and I think it to be primarily in basal ganglia and thalamus.)

:D :D :rofl::rofl::rofl: :lol::lol::lol: :_:_ :xeyes::xeyes: You're sooooo engagingly ...
I am also really happy, @Hufsamor.

Wolfcub

I was just wondering if when you relax @Hufsamor maybe your blood pressure drops suddenly? That can cause some odd feelings.

I really don't know though. But I get random nausea too sometimes. Have had it now for 3 days. Not the "vomit" kind, and it doesn't even seem related to my stomach, as no issues with stomach as such and digestion is fine and normal. Just a horrible queasiness which comes and goes and seems related to nothing logical, except perhaps deep exhaustion.

I have some Black Horehound herbal tincture, which is years old but still has some potency. It is helpful apparently when the nausea is not from the stomach as such, but more "neurological" ....or "bizarre"!! (which in my case seems to fit, but may not be right for others.) It helps a lot and I get a little relief usually in 30 minutes.

Wolfcub

These weird "waves" -do they happen when you sleep or are about to go to sleep? Or is sleep OK?
Is it only when you are relaxing but are fully conscious, that they happen?
How is your heart rate when you start to feel uncomfortable?