• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Red/Infrared light therapy, no equipment

It is winter here, and on sunny days, when the midday sun streams across the carpet, I have been lying on cushions with the back of my head bathed by the sun. why?
  • Sunlight is rich in red and infrared light
  • preliminary research suggests these longer wavelengths of light support mitochondrial function and reduce oxidative stress.
  • red and infrared light can penetrate glass, light clothing, skin and bones. It's benefits can spread throughout the brain and spinal chord via the cerebrospinal fluid
  • Some research suggests that ME/CFS sufferers have inflammation in the brain stem, located in the back of the head, just above the neck
Here is a link to a video that discusses these issues and includes references to journal articles in the notes
Sunlight: Optimize Health and Immunity
The notes also include a list of topics covered and links to the places in the video where the topics are discussed, although they are off by about 30 seconds. I would suggest starting at 48:01 for a discussion of the points mentioned above. The video also covers information on the circadian rhythm

Springbok1988

A lot of modern windows have a coating that prevents infrared light from passing through them. This is to cut down on air conditioning use during the summer. If you feel a lot of heat in the light or have older windows then this should work.

A lot of modern windows have a coating that prevents infrared light from passing through them. This is to cut down on air conditioning use during the summer. If you feel a lot of heat in the light or have older windows then this should work.
Good point. In my case I live in a 100 year old house with the original windows, so this isn't a problem

LINE

I used an array of red led lights and applied this to the body. This was based on NASA research about red led lights helping the body to recover. I did see it help with inflammation.

Learner1

It is winter here, and on sunny days, when the midday sun streams across the carpet, I have been lying on cushions with the back of my head bathed by the sun. why?
  • Sunlight is rich in red and infrared light
  • preliminary research suggests these longer wavelengths of light support mitochondrial function and reduce oxidative stress.
  • red and infrared light can penetrate glass, light clothing, skin and bones. It's benefits can spread throughout the brain and spinal chord via the cerebrospinal fluid
  • Some research suggests that ME/CFS sufferers have inflammation in the brain stem, located in the back of the head, just above the neck
Here is a link to a video that discusses these issues and includes references to journal articles in the notes
Sunlight: Optimize Health and Immunity
The notes also include a list of topics covered and links to the places in the video where the topics are discussed, although they are off by about 30 seconds. I would suggest starting at 48:01 for a discussion of the points mentioned above. The video also covers information on the circadian rhythm
UVB light does not get through windows - it's the type needed to make vitamin D. UVA does, it's the kind that can be harmful to skin.

However, time of year matters. Even outdoors, between November and February in the US or Europe and June through August, no vitamin D can be made by sunlight exposure because the sun is too low in the sky, and actually from September through April in most of the US, very little can be made.

Buying full spectrum lightbulbs might be better.yo get all the benefits you mention as well as supplementing with D3 and K.