• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Reading this bloods test/Folate high?

Learner1

1 and 2 look like the same problem.
Many people focus too much on glutathione, and forget about the other antioxidants listed in 1. In preparing for a CT scan, I doubled my intake of A, E, and ALA, and, much to my surprise, my energy increased dramatically as I seemed to be able to reduce oxidative stress better than just with C and glutathione.
Middle age and older adults are recommended to supplement with reduced or s-adenyl-L glutathione which is the master antioxidant and low in older adults. Strong antioxidants like Vit E and NAC raise your cancer risk and aren't recommended.
Glutathione, as you say, is a key antioxidant and pretty strong. Glutathione supplementation will diminish unless the nutrients necessary to recycle it are ALsO in place, including B5, the other B vitamins, C, selenium, zinc, and magnesium.

I'm a stage 3 cancer survivor, aleays alert to cancer risks. The key is to balance antioxidants bring used and not overuse one without taking enough of the others. The problem with using only one antioxidants at high doses is that all the antioxidants work together in a network, recycling each other. Too much if one will have a pro-oxidant effect as it gets used, becoming a pro-oxidant and can't be recycled back to its reduced system. The book The Antioxidant Miracle by Lester Packer, the researcher whose lab did most of the key antioxidant research for over 30 years is a good read and explains this. These diagrams also show how the antioxidants interact, with the third one showing other less thought of antioxidants which also play important roles.

Screenshot_20201011-071412.png
Screenshot_20201011-071002.png
Screenshot_20201011-071343.png

Learner1

@Learner1 This is very similar to what we were talking about yesterday. Were changing my diet and supplements. This is alot of stuff and going to be very expensive . I want to thank you for your indepth evaluation. So if I'm not eating oxalates I can treat the asperigulls first ?
It's pretty hard to not eat oxalates unless you're in a carnivore diet, which I would not recommend to a fellow ME/CFS patient due to the lack of folate, antioxidants, etc. It would be useful to get the spreadsheet from the Trying Low Oxalates spreadsheet group, who recommends staying under 50g oxalates a day, in addition to talk ng citrate in some form prior to meals and B6.

If it were me, I'd work on treating the aspergillus while doing the oxalate program, but definitely discuss with your doctor.

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
Glutathione, as you say, is a key antioxidant and pretty strong. Glutathione supplementation will diminish unless the nutrients necessary to recycle it are ALsO in place, including B5, the other B vitamins, C, selenium, zinc, and magnesium.

I take all of those separately. I use selenium as a food fortifier for mustard which it complements well.

I'm a stage 3 cancer survivor, aleays alert to cancer risks. The key is to balance antioxidants bring used and not overuse one without taking enough of the others. The problem with using only one antioxidants at high doses is that all the antioxidants work together in a network, recycling each other. Too much if one will have a pro-oxidant effect as it gets used, becoming a pro-oxidant and can't be recycled back to its reduced system

You can't balance them unless you have a good working appetite sense. Otherwise people are just guessing.

I have no need for vitamine E in addition to my normal healthy diet. It is counterintuitive that an antioxidant can be a pro-oxidant.

Learner1

I take all of those separately. I use selenium as a food fortifier for mustard which it complements well.

You can't balance them unless you have a good working appetite sense. Otherwise people are just guessing.

I have no need for vitamine E in addition to my normal healthy diet. It is counterintuitive that an antioxidant can be a pro-oxidant.
Testing is helpful, especially when taking significant amounts of any of these. Too much selenium can give symptoms similar to radiation poisoning, so best not to guess. After the experience I've had with it, it's not wise to underestimate vitamin E...

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
After the experience I've had with it, it's not wise to underestimate vitamin E...

Strong antioxidants block apoptosis and trigger a crash. The goal of my therapy is to kickstart the immune system is to restore antibody creation and apoptose the cells. You can't do that if antioxidants are suppressing immune response. That's why vit E supplementation was found to increase cancer.

Learner1

Strong antioxidants block apoptosis and trigger a crash. The goal of my therapy is to kickstart the immune system is to restore antibody creation and apoptose the cells. You can't do that if antioxidants are suppressing immune response. That's why vit E supplementation was found to increase cancer.
Please read The Antioxidant Miracle by foremost antioxidant researcher Lester Packer. The key is balance. You cannot recycle antioxidants properly if you are missing some, as in the diagrams I previously posted, but you might investigate this one before scaring people away from the needed nutrient.
Screenshot_20201011-071002.png

The flawed studies on vitamin E you seem to be referring to used mega doses of vitamin E alone without the other antioxidants in the antioxidant network, which is not recommended for just that reason.

The body also needs vitamin E to boost its immune system so that it can fight off invading bacteria and viruses. It helps to widen blood vessels and keep blood from clotting within them. In addition, cells use vitamin E to interact with each other and to carry out many important functions.

Feb 28, 2020

https://ods.od.nih.gov › factsheets
Vitamin E - Consumer - Office of Dietary Supplements - NIH

And many of us have multiple problems, not just immune system issues. Exactly what strategies aside from avoiding a key nutrient are you using to kickstart your immune system and what cells are you apoptosing, to what end?

Attachments

• 1602511733516.png
    1602511733516.png
    250 bytes · Views: 7

drmullin30

@Learner1 just wanted to thank you for the book recommendation. I'm about half way through The Antioxidant Miracle and I've already learned a lot of useful information. This is a great book for optimizing your use of antioxidants and it has reassured me that my use of complete Vit. E and ALA are very good things.

Thanks again.

drmullin30

You are very welcome. The only issue I've found is that the dosing he suggests, is lower than my body seems to need, but the general concept of balancing the various antioxidants is extremely important.

Best wishes...;)

Yes I'm finding the same, I guess that's to be expected since the audience is meant to be nominally healthy people not PWCs who have severe issues with inflammation and free radicals.