• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Reading this bloods test/Folate high?

HABS93

I know my integrative doctor will go over this next Friday but I wanna know . I got my whole chart send over so I also have it. The folate is alot higher then I thought it should be? Just curious if anyone can see anything or it's all normal like usually .

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-10-02-23-06-59-622_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-10-02-23-06-59-622_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    739.7 KB · Views: 64

Pyrrhus

I know my integrative doctor will go over this next Friday but I wanna know . I got my whole chart send over so I also have it. The folate is alot higher then I thought it should be? Just curious if anyone can see anything or it's all normal like usually .

Your Red Blood Cell folate levels look pretty good, not "too high" at all according to the stated reference range.
(Of course, folate levels in the blood don't always correlate with folate levels in the brain.)

Your immune parameters also look healthy, according to the stated reference ranges, although your lymphocytes are a bit on the low side.

For me, personally, if my lymphocytes fall below 1.7, I start getting random infections. But that's just me.

HABS93

@Pyrrhus Well that's good and disappointing. I have no idea what's causing my symptom's anymore. Most of my symptom's are neurological . Weird part is I haven't gotten a cold or sick sick since the symptoms started in 2018. Other then pulmonary sarcoidosis so I'm so confused now. I thought it was a B12 Defiency which usually has neurological symptoms :(

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I get the symbols mixed up too.

< looks kinda like an L so that's how I remember it means Less than. (That's the only way I remember which is which.)

However, your platelet counts are high which could mean thick blood. This is something @Lassesen talks about a lot on his website HERE. One quote on that page: "We have found that 3 out of 4 CFS &/or FM patients have a genetic deficiency.” (It causes thick blood or "hyper-coagulation.")

He goes into more details HERE. You have to keep reading past the first paragraph to the second where he says:

Several MDs of patients using this lab for coagulation testing remarked that while their patients were being treated with heparin treatment that had their FM or CFS symptoms disappear. Dave Berg, the owner of the lab, became curious and did some follow up studies out of his own pocket. He found that the majority of CFS patients had a testable state of hyper-coagulation. Berg noted that CFS patients were not all hyper-coagulated in the same way. He published these results in 1999. Dave Berg retired a few years later and sold his lab to a chain lab and this line of work faded away.
In 2011, a study on chronic Lyme patients found antiphospholipid antibodies found in almost all of these patients. CDC view chronic Lyme patients as a variation as CFS.

This could be a clue for you in your treatment plan. Dr Davis, et al. also talks about a characteristic of patients blood that seems to stop it from flowing through some blood vessels. Not sure if they think it is this or not but in one seminar he also did say something about there being something messed up in our phospholipids as well. Maybe it's those antiphospholipids??? (antibodies fighting against them.) ???

Last edited:

HABS93

@Judee Pardon my French but holy shit you are on to something here. The heart does seem to feel like it has to work overtime even though it's perfectly healthy for heart test. I've even said to describe the brain fog feels like the blood isnt flowing well around my brain. I'll look into this and report back thank you so much I had a 10 hour shift today which was stressful so this cheered me up!

JES

The most likely cause for high folate levels is getting too much via foods or supplements. Lots of foods are fortified with folic acid these days, you'll find it everywhere like in cereals etc. People with MTHFR mutations have problems converting folic acid into folate, but since your RBC folate levels are good, this isn't a concern for you.

Learner1

The most likely cause for high folate levels is getting too much via foods or supplements. Lots of foods are fortified with folic acid these days, you'll find it everywhere like in cereals etc. People with MTHFR mutations have problems converting folic acid into folate, but since your RBC folate levels are good, this isn't a concern for you.
This is incorrect. @Eastman has given good advice.

HABS93

Does this help at all. It doesn't say it's high on the blood test I just thought it was high because the number was big. Although I do know I a genetic gene that has trouble converting folic acid but my blood test says otherwise.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-10-05-14-29-12-579_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-10-05-14-29-12-579_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    682.3 KB · Views: 17

HABS93

Learner1

Those are pretty close to describing my symptom's. How do you know for sure ?
Well, medscape is a pretty mainstream, authoritative source of health info. Maybe you could print it out and take it to your doctor.

It, maybe try some thiamine. I take Life Extension Mega-Benfotiamine, but I know several people who swear by allithiamine - they say it's more effective for the brain.

HABS93

Haven't you been on a multi-vitamin for some time now though? It will have thiamine in it, so I don't think it would apply in this case. Just my opinion.
Is it a high enough dosage though? I bought some anyways maybe I'll get lucky highly doubt it though

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Is it a high enough dosage though?

I'm not sure. I tried to find the page where you listed all your supplements but couldn't. It probably won't hurt to try the additional thiamine though just be aware that thiamine is a vitamin that contains sulfur.

I mention that because I have problems with ingesting too much sulfur/thiols so thiamine gives me migraines. It won't affect you that way if you don't have a problem with those.

Here are some previous thread on Thiamine:
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/4g-high-dose-thiamine-worsens-symptoms.79001/#post-2255810

https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...nds-on-thiamine-b1.48757/page-17#post-2247433

https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/high-dose-vitamin-b1-thiamine.34387/

I didn't mean necessarily to put the worst first. However, it is good to know how much started to cause issues for people.

HABS93

I'm not sure. I tried to find the page where you listed all your supplements but couldn't. It probably won't hurt to try the additional thiamine though just be aware that thiamine is a vitamin that contains sulfur.

I mention that because I have problems with ingesting too much sulfur/thiols so thiamine gives me migraines. It won't affect you that way if you don't have a problem with those.

https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/4g-high-dose-thiamine-worsens-symptoms.79001/#post-2255810

https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...nds-on-thiamine-b1.48757/page-17#post-2247433

I didn't mean necessarily to put the worst first. However, it is good to know how much started to cause issues for people.
It has 12.5 mg in the ortho multi men I take. I'll read up more on it. Yeah doesn't sound like my problem is from them. I see my integrative doctor Friday so I'll give a updated answer as he will be looking at what you were saying. I still think you are on to something.
What else can cause hi palate count that doesn't cause symptoms? There's not much else I can do. Spending 1200$ on a lyme test sounds horrible. My integrative doesn't think it's lyme though and he deals with it.
The current NAC treatment is not doing anything other then boosting my glutithione . He did mention high oxalates but I eliminated basically all of it and felt no difference.

HABS93

Noticed more sustained energy as a effect from thiamine. I wonder if maybe that's why I feel the same? Could be the veggies but I have long sustained energy. Today I was working as fast as I could for 5 hours straight. Doesn't feel bad but doesn't feel good. I consider it a win. Although I unfortunately started smoking cigs again. I went two months and will try again. It's just really hard to say no too at work.

Learner1

Haven't you been on a multi-vitamin for some time now though? It will have thiamine in it, so I don't think it would apply in this case. Just my opinion.
Multivitamins have minimal amounts of most nutrients in ratios that may or may not be right for the patient taking them. It is an erroneous assumption to think that they would be sufficient for any sick patient, especially someone ill with ME/CFS.

There are numerous reports of people adding thiamine to their regimen and it being a real game-changer for them.
has 12.5 mg in the ortho multi men I take.
That's a pretty low dose. I'm taking 750 mg of Benfotiamine or else I test low in thiamine.
Noticed more sustained energy as a effect from thiamine. I wonder if maybe that's why I feel the same? Could be the veggies but I have long sustained energy. Today I was working as fast as I could for 5 hours straight.
This describes what thiamine does, including reducing fatigue:

https://selfhacked.com/blog/thiamine/
He did mention high oxalates but I eliminated basically all of it and felt no difference.
Exactly how did you do that and for how long? Reducing them in your diet is one thing, but that just stops them from adding to the deposits you already have. Typically, if you have an oxalate problem You will have oxalates deposited in places throughout your body, including your eyes, heart, kidneys, joints, mitochondria, and everywhere else. It typically takes a long-term effort, including taking potassium, magnesium, or calcium citrate prior to each meal, a good deal of vitamin B6 in the form of P5P, and a low oxalate diet, for 1 to 7 years. The idea is to reduce them being deposited, and then to lower the gradient so that they start to come out of where they are stored. Oxalates can cause all kinds of mischief while you have them. They are a toxin, but they do not use the normal detox pathways, this is how you have to detoxify from them.
Although I unfortunately started smoking cigs again.
This is more than unfortunate. It is directly damaging to your body, and put stress on your ability to detoxify, which sounds like it is already stressed. This would greatly increase your need for detoxifying nutrients.

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6