• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Reaction to local anaesthetic

belize44

This is the second time that I've experienced a reaction to local anaesthetic that was administered by my dentist.

I become drowsy during procedure and afterwards (yesterday) I developed light headedness, severe nausea (still lingering), shakes and tremors. Vision blurred.

The nurse gave me dextrose tablet and on gums. I was tipped back on a bed with a fan on me, I wasn't cold.

After a while I felt that I could sit up (I desperately wanted to go home, I was feeling very ill and didn't want to end up in hospital, I avoid that at all costs) I was still weak and dizzy.

I relapse afterwards and feel very ill.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of reaction to local anaesthetic?
I went to a dental college for a low cost dental extraction. The student injected me with a lidocaine epinephrine combo, and I was not going numb, so he injected my gums about three more times. I started shivering uncontrollably and honestly felt like I was having a petite mal seizure.

From then on, I specifically request no epinephrine at the dentist!

I have hEDS, MCAS and dysautonomia. I had a lot of dental work as a child. I do not recall any weird reactions to lidocaine back then. I have had at least three episodes of receiving dental anesthesia on the right and it temporarily paralyzes the extraocular muscles on the left. Also can cause prolonged eye pain for up to a few days. There is not much in the literature for this kind of problem.

My first reaction over 20 years ago was with carbocaine with epi. I have had lidocaine, articaine tried all without epi -- and still get this problem. I have never had an issue with my eyes when the anesthesia is administered on the left side. And ALWAYS when administered on the right side, it affects my opposite eye muscles.

Aside from dental anesthesia, I had lidocaine injections in my chest to remove a loop recorder and it did not affect my eyes but made me feel exhausted for 24 hours.

Strawberry

You should see the rash that developed below my skin cancer test site last year. All because I forgot to tell him of my allergies to epinephrine and lidocaine…. Rash I don’t believe is a symptom either. And it developed about 2 weeks after the biopsy, spreading for about two more weeks until it got to my chin. There is much that they ignore. At least they cared that I was having breathing problems that night…

Back