• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Rapid Complete Recovery From An Autism Spectrum Disorder After Treatment of Aspergillus With The Antifungal Drugs Itraconazole And Sporanox

I've read people on this forum write about potentially having asd, so I was doing my monthly new-studies review and found this, maybe someone is willing to experiment. It also shows how much the gut can affect the behavior.

Case Study: Rapid Complete Recovery From An Autism Spectrum Disorder After Treatment of Aspergillus With The Antifungal Drugs Itraconazole And Sporanox

A child with symptoms placing him within the autism spectrum and with urine biochemical markers consistent with fungal (Aspergillus) colonization of the gastrointestinal tract was first treated with the antifungal probiotic Saccharomyces boulardii. A dramatic Herxheimer reaction provided strong clinical indications that mold colonization might be a factor in causing autism in this child.

Objective: The child's physician (Baker) wished to try a more potent antifungal therapy, itraconazole, in an attempt to reverse the child's autism since itraconazole is an especially effective agent against Aspergillus species.

Setting: The child was treated as an outpatient by the physician who had first diagnosed the child with an autism spectrum disorder.

Participant: A child with an autism spectrum disorder.

Intervention: The major intervention was increasing doses of the antifungal drug itraconazole. However, the Sporanox® brand of itraconazole gave the best results. The child was monitored twice weekly with liver function tests which remained normal throughout the therapy.

Results: The child had a complete recovery from all the symptoms of autism and in addition developed excellent academic, athletic, and musical skills. The recovery coincided with a marked reduction of urine markers of Aspergillus colonization.

Conclusions: Escalation of the dose of itraconazole resulted in a complete loss of all symptoms of autism over the course of three months. This rapid complete reversal of autism is consistent with several articles proposing mold in general and Aspergillus specifically as a potential major cause of autism.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33132781/

Also this:
Increased specific IgG, IgM and IgA, together with typical mold growth were a decisive argument for proven presence of Aspergillus fumigatus in almost all of the autistic children. As it was demonstrated in our previous study, filterable L-forms can be transmitted by vertical pathway from mother to child before birth. Thus, it can be suggested that autistic children may be born already colonized with fungi, while a “silent aspergillosis” could contribute or even be a leading cause for neurodevelopmental disorders in the early childhood.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-49768-9

ljimbo423

I've read people on this forum write about potentially having asd, so I was doing my monthly new-studies review and found this, maybe someone is willing to experiment. It also shows how much the gut can affect the behavior.

You might want to look at this thread. Children with Autism had profound improvements with FMT.

There's a video in the first post that showed results from the Fecal microbiota transplantation (FMT) were a 45% reduction in Autism symptoms over 2 years.

Dr. James Adams says at 22:25- "over time, it just seems their brain is much healthier. Now they are able to learn language, interact socially, they have fewer behavioral problems"

At 27:20 he says- "Most of the children started the study with severe Autism. At the end of the study most of the children had either mild to moderate Autism or were below the cut-off of Autism."