• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

raising MVC though all kinds of B12 and different kins of folic acid?? Anybody knows?

Joopiter76

Hi to all,

my MCV raised although I get much M-B12, A-B12, OH-B12 per injecion and orally. As well as 2000mcg of Methylfolate, 800mcg of Folic acid and 400mcg of folinic acid.
So whats going on? The folic acid in the RBC is quite good, little above the norm.

thanks to all.

Joopiter76

richvank

Hi to all,

my MCV raised although I get much M-B12, A-B12, OH-B12 per injecion and orally. As well as 2000mcg of Methylfolate, 800mcg of Folic acid and 400mcg of folinic acid.
So whats going on? The folic acid in the RBC is quite good, little above the norm.

thanks to all.

Joopiter76

Hi, Joopiter.

There are several possible explanations:

1. The lifetime of red blood cells is about 4 months. It takes several months to correct macrocytosis. Perhaps you haven't taken the B12's and folates for a long enough time to correct this.
2. There are some drugs that can affect MCV. If you are taking any drugs, this might be a possibility.
3. High blood glucose can raise MCV.
4. A high white blood cell count can also raise the MCV of the red blood cells.
5. Some hereditary, genetic issues can affect MCV. If you haven't had a high MCV all your life, this would seem to be a less likely cause at this point.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Rich

rlc

hi joopiter76 you say that your MVC is raised, just to confirm by MVC i take it you mean, mean cell volume, if so this is a very commonly used tests. The diagnostic criteria for CFS states that a diagnosis of CFS should not be given to anyone who has failed one of the standard tests, because you have failed a standard test it raises the very strong possibility that either your original diagnosis was wrong, you have CFS and somethink else, or your raised MCV is being caused by a medication or suplement you are on, a raised MCV can be a sign of a serious problem, A high MCV may indicate anaemia due to nutritional deficiencies, bone marrow abnormalities, liver disease, alcoholism, chronic lung disease, or therapy with certain medications. link to this information here http://www.mydr.com.au/tests-investigations/full-blood-count-fbc my recomendation is to go to your doctor and tell them to do their job properly! and find out why you have raised MCV as it is not according to the diagnostic for CFS a sign of CFS and may indicate a problem that requires treatment. hope this helps all the best