• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Quicksilver scientific Intestinal metal detox (IMD)

Hi

Not sure how familiar people are with QuickSilver's products but I started taking IMD a couple of weeks ago.
I am not doing their full protocol which includes taking 50mg+ of liposomal r lipoic acid per day as I want to remove as much Mercury from my gut as possible before beginning to mobilise it from deeper tissues and my brain.

My hypothesis here is that whenever I have taken anti microbials previously I have suffered massively with "die off". In realtity I believe that a significant part of what I have in the past referred to as "die off" was in fact heavy metals being liberated from dying gut microbes and redistributed. This time I am using IMD in conjunction with my anti microbial and biofilm disruption protocol in order to prevent significant metal related symptoms.

My question here is that QuickSilver recommend that their products be used in cycles of 5 days on/2 days off and later 10 days on/4 days off. This seems to be based however on their full protocol which includes amongst other things r lipoic which is a potent mobiliser of mercury from the brain and tissues. So for this reason I fully understand the need for breaks. I am not taking r lipoic however so I wonder do I need to take breaks from IMD or can I take it consistently?

After all it could be argued that an aggressive antimicrobial protocol without IMD everyday could be harder on the body than taking breaks as on the break days there is no metal binder in the gut. Any thoughts ?

I have read as much as I could find on IMD and watched a few presentations by dr Christopher shade on YouTube. What I keep hearing about IMD is that it does not enter systemic circulation, interrupts enterohepatic recirculation of Mercury and does not result in any Mercury re-distribution symptoms.

On that basis I am arguing (with myself!) that I am doing less harm taking it every day than taking breaks. That said however I don't want to crash and burn or make myself worse in any way. My head is clearer since starting to take it and my digestion has improved but my sleep is worse and I am quite lethargic. Of course this could be caused by a multitude of factors.

I am taking supplemental minerals every day away from IMD. I contacted quicksilver scientific directly and spoke with their representative who predictably stated they could not advise me and that in most cases patients are on the full protocol which includes r lipoic and other items.

Would he greatful to hear any views from people who are familiar with this product.

Thanks a lot.

@PaulK

I am doing the same as you taking the imd by itself (with a bit of vitamin c powder - gets it closer to metalsweep). I have also noticed improvements in the gut - a drastic reduction in runny stools, but nothing on the brain fog front. I do need to improve my diet though and that may help improve results.

@Jamo77 have you looked into cytokine support for brain fog?
There is a product called cytoquel by researched nutritionals. There is one ingredient (NAC) which could make it a bad choice for Mercury toxic people (single thiol - I felt OK on one capsule but crashed on the recommended 3) but perhaps curcumin, EGCG and other compounds could help you

Thanks Paul.

No I haven't. But I do have massive anxiety that i believe stems from inflamed sinuses. I can keep it under control by doing sinus rinses and other protocols. @Hip thinks inflammatory cytokines in the sinuses being so close to the brain impacts it. I do feel like my brain is on fire when my sinuses are irritated. I will check out this product keep us posted how you go. I am also doing the low histamine chef recipes and that seems to have a big impact on my state of being.

I am going to do the cutler protocol and will take the imd on days off. By clearing mercury in the gut there will hopefully be better glutathione production. I am going to order Cutler Halls books.

The only thing that really helped my brainfog was the freddd protocol til I crashed. I am going to build up lithium as per Yaskos advise before recommencing the freddd protocol.

@Jamo77 sounds like we are dealing with very similar issues. Sinus inflammation and histamine issues are 2 of my most prominent symptoms.
I was dealing with terrible anxiety and blood sugar issues until I started to support my adrenals. On days my energy is low I take adrenal cortex extract 50mg x 2 and when I feel stressed I take adaptogenic herbs (a product called enhanced rhodiola
Complex by viridian - I am in Europe so you might not be able to get this where you are).
Sinus issues are a b*tch.

Yep agreed man re sinus issues mine compounded by a surgeon who experimented on my nose and the whole lot feels destroyed unless I experience no allergies which is rare. For example I will have the urge to sneeze for hrs on end but can't sending me nearly insane. Hence my urgency in trying to resolve these things. I could take a stack of prescribed drugs but know I will spend life in bed and hence avoid it. So nose problems severely suck as it is such a sensitive organ and right near the brain. Read about the poor souls who have empty nose syndrome.

My adrenals are bad and I used Wilson's adrenal support but didn't do well on it I suspect due to the folinic acid and my mthfr. My fatigue doc reckons if my adrenals get better the cortisol will soak up the histamine and my nose won't drive me batty so fingers crossed. I do have some adrenal cortex from Swanson arriving soon. Also ordered a heap of dmsa and will do numerous rounds of detox so fingers crossed. There does seem a link between mercury toxicity and nose problems:

" Mercury vapour emitted from amalgam fillings sticks to the lining of the nose and sinuses, where it can create inflammation, resulting in chronic sinusitis."

http://holisticdentistry.ie/sinusitis-causes-treatments.html

That is one explanation - another would be due to the body shutting down and allergies taking over.

@Jamo77 what about adaptogenic herbs for your adrenals minus the folinic etc? Things like ashwaganda?
I am not keen on the cutler protocol at all especially for someone with adrenal issues. I fear you might crash and really hope you don't. Doubtless a lot of people's health have improved after it but the quicksilver method seems a lot less damaging to me. That said each person has to decide for themselves. I just know it's not for me. The sleep disruption alone I think is damaging but for those people who are bedridden and not sleeping anyway it might make sense to try it.

Dr Christopher shade uses an analogy of trying to get dust out of a room by opening a small window and using a leaf blower to blow the dust out. In reality you stir up a tonne of dust (Mercury) but only a small amount gets out through the window, the window being analogous for the kidneys and their tiny surface area compared to the bowels (probably a tennis court). I am going to try adding 25mg of r-ala a bedtime for this weeks IMD cycle to see if I can make any further gains. Cutlers theories sound great "in theory" but his methods are very hard on the body in my opinion. Anyway it's only that - my opinion.

Yes I did a methylation protocol about 9 months ago. First few days on folate I felt reborn then I had a rocky road of it for a few months and then utterly crashed and burnt. Getting the folate dosages back up again now with better success. I probably average 150-200mcg folate per day and around 300mcg b12.

Many thanks Paul. I ended up going the Dmsa route after reading some stuff by Dave Hammond

" I am not convinced of the safety of taking ALA once a day, as seems to be the case with Chris Shade’s protocol. The effects of redistribution may not be apparent for many months. And I haven’t seen much data on the long term safety and effectiveness of IMD, which is, as far as I understand, nanoparticles of silica with two thiols attached. However, there have been some very positive reports from parents treating autistic children with IMD. I wish there were more data – preferably not from studies done by the proprietor."

Also all the quicksilver products are simply unaffordable and I really don't like the prices charged, that gets me suspicious - I understand a profit must be made but my feeling it is excess. Saying all that long term it may end up proven that the Shade approach is more efficient.

Will pm you about my experience with methylation.

Hi Paul,

Just to let you know have done a few rounds of the cutler protocol and have noticed some real improvements already and some days feel like pre illness. After the first round my perennial itchy scalp subsided. I am taking a load of supplements as support I think the mercola lypo vitamin c really helping. I really dose up on them.

Also for your sinuses you may want to try cromolyn sodium spray - I give a few sprays each day and the crazy itching gone away. Use a moisturizing gel in tandem as cromolyn dries out the nose a bit.

Hi

Not sure how familiar people are with QuickSilver's products but I started taking IMD a couple of weeks ago.
I am not doing their full protocol which includes taking 50mg+ of liposomal r lipoic acid per day as I want to remove as much Mercury from my gut as possible before beginning to mobilise it from deeper tissues and my brain.

My hypothesis here is that whenever I have taken anti microbials previously I have suffered massively with "die off". In realtity I believe that a significant part of what I have in the past referred to as "die off" was in fact heavy metals being liberated from dying gut microbes and redistributed. This time I am using IMD in conjunction with my anti microbial and biofilm disruption protocol in order to prevent significant metal related symptoms.

My question here is that QuickSilver recommend that their products be used in cycles of 5 days on/2 days off and later 10 days on/4 days off. This seems to be based however on their full protocol which includes amongst other things r lipoic which is a potent mobiliser of mercury from the brain and tissues. So for this reason I fully understand the need for breaks. I am not taking r lipoic however so I wonder do I need to take breaks from IMD or can I take it consistently?

After all it could be argued that an aggressive antimicrobial protocol without IMD everyday could be harder on the body than taking breaks as on the break days there is no metal binder in the gut. Any thoughts ?

I have read as much as I could find on IMD and watched a few presentations by dr Christopher shade on YouTube. What I keep hearing about IMD is that it does not enter systemic circulation, interrupts enterohepatic recirculation of Mercury and does not result in any Mercury re-distribution symptoms.

On that basis I am arguing (with myself!) that I am doing less harm taking it every day than taking breaks. That said however I don't want to crash and burn or make myself worse in any way. My head is clearer since starting to take it and my digestion has improved but my sleep is worse and I am quite lethargic. Of course this could be caused by a multitude of factors.

I am taking supplemental minerals every day away from IMD. I contacted quicksilver scientific directly and spoke with their representative who predictably stated they could not advise me and that in most cases patients are on the full protocol which includes r lipoic and other items.

Would he greatful to hear any views from people who are familiar with this product.

Thanks a lot.
Bumping this again as never got to the bottom of it. Thanks

@PointsNorth I was taking some supplemental d3 but have developed reservations about it depleting vitamin A too much. I am going to try cod liver oil from now on and grabbing 30 minutes of sun wherever I can...although I live in a country with notoriously bad weather so we'll see how that goes !!

Anyone else any quicksilver/shade experiences to share here ?
I can now directly correlate the beginning of my poor sleep to the time I started IMD. Perhaps it mops up too many healthful minerals, I am going to really have to watch that. On the plus side it has helped my gut a lot.
I'm still very torn between the shade and cutler method. I was 100% for shade but I am starting to question more and more. Felt good most of the afternoon today and then took 400mg of liposomal glutathione and within 10 minutes I felt redistribution symptoms (fearful, depressed, twitching in my neck and shoulders). In my case liposomal GSH clearly picks up loose Mercury and moves it around. Perhaps if my mineral status was better I would be able to deal with it better.
It seems inevitable that you will have to deal with redistribution symptoms with both methods, the question is which is the lesser evil.

@Rlman thanks for pointing that out. I knew there were cutler groups on yahoo alright (which sound like a cult IMO) but didn't know there was a quicksilver group. I just found it.
Thanks a million

jepps

Felt good most of the afternoon today and then took 400mg of liposomal glutathione and within 10 minutes I felt redistribution symptoms (fearful, depressed, twitching in my neck and shoulders). In my case liposomal GSH clearly picks up loose Mercury and moves it around. Perhaps if my mineral status was better I would be able to deal with it better.

Maybe you do better with s-acetyl-glutathion than liposomal GSH.

some studies have shown that S-acetyl-glutathione crosses the cell membrane more easily than glutathione itself, and once it’s inside the cell, the acetyl group on the S-acetyl-glutathione is removed and the glutathione molecule is free inside the cell, which is exactly where it’s needed.

I have a friend, who does the acumen tests from time to time. Acumentests show mercury levels in the cell. She detoxified mercury with s-acetyl-glutahtione alone, nothing else.

tango

Anyone know the ingredients of IMD? Id like to make a DIY one to use on the cutler protocal

Cheers
Did you ever find a DIY alternative? IMD is expensive and when you add in international shipping the cost of prohibitive without good evidence it works