• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Questions re methylation, OCD and NAC

Hi @Sherpa,

I really need your help to be honest.

I'm 28 and I have Adrenal Fatigue which was confirmed via Genoba testing. I'm currently on a regimen for that.

It's also likely that I am dealing with gluten and dairy inolternaces and certain vitamin deficiencies.

However, my main concern is my anxiety/pure OCD which has developed over the last couple of years and has got much worse. I also have gastritis/low stomach acid which I know causes low b12. However I don't have the classic low b12 symptoms. When I take methy b12 it seems to make my ocd worse. However I have recently in the last few days began to take NAC which has helped a lot with my ocd and seems to have taken much of the doubt away. However there is still some ocd and irrational negative thinking.

I believe my ocd has worsened and may have something to do with the methylation process due to NAC working (gluthione production lowering glutamate). However I'm not sure where to even start with everything at all.

I just wanted to ask these questions:

What test would you recommend that would help identify my methylation status?
What supplements did you use and why?
Does NAC still work for you?

I think your situation is similar to mine, I hope you can help my friend!

Many Thanks,
Luke

Last edited by a moderator:

MTpockets

My daughters deal with OCD and anxiety. MethylB12 is a nightmare for them. It intensifies everything horribly. However hydroxycobalamin has been wonderful. Try switching and see if it helps.

Hi thanks for the replies guys.

Hi @MTpockets . Does the hydroxycobalamin help with your daughters OCD symptoms?

Thank you @LINE I will look into this.

Sorry @Sherpa I'm a newbie and forgot to tag you in this post and it was also moved as it was off topic. Would you be able to give me some OCD advice or things that work?

Many Thanks,
Luke

MTpockets

Yes it really does. If they skip taking it for a day, they can really tell. It makes a huge difference for them. It doesn't completely erase it, but they say they feel more calm and their impulses are weak enough to control or ignore. They are more rational as well and easier to reason with. They are both 19, so I am going off, not only their observed behaviors, but also their own evaluations. When we tried methylcobalamin, they were worse than they had ever been. They said they felt like they completely lost control.

They are identical twins, so we have done control type trials with them. They both respond great to hydroxycobalamin. They have MTHFR, as well as other genetic methylation mutations. They are what is described as "overmethylators". So we are very careful what supplements they use and how we trial them. Some of the supplements commonly recommended for OCD are a big no for them because of their specific mutations.

Also as LINE was saying, I believe there is an immune system connection as well, because their OCD tends to flare up pretty hard before they come down sick with something.

Thanks for getting back @MTpockets

I just wanted to ask:

How much do they currently take? Is it sublingual or normal vitamin form?

What is the best type of methylation test to get?

Thanks,
Luke

Yes it really does. If they skip taking it for a day, they can really tell. It makes a huge difference for them. It doesn't completely erase it, but they say they feel more calm and their impulses are weak enough to control or ignore. They are more rational as well and easier to reason with. They are both 19, so I am going off, not only their observed behaviors, but also their own evaluations. When we tried methylcobalamin, they were worse than they had ever been. They said they felt like they completely lost control.

They are identical twins, so we have done control type trials with them. They both respond great to hydroxycobalamin. They have MTHFR, as well as other genetic methylation mutations. They are what is described as "overmethylators". So we are very careful what supplements they use and how we trial them. Some of the supplements commonly recommended for OCD are a big no for them because of their specific mutations.

Also as LINE was saying, I believe there is an immune system connection as well, because their OCD tends to flare up pretty hard before they come down sick with something.

MTpockets

We got the 23andme testing done for our whole family. Then we plugged the data into...I believe we used nutrihacker. I'm not totally sure. But any of those genetic data translation sites would work. If you just want the mthfr testing done then maybe test for A1298C or C677T. Those are the main mutations and would give you a good place to start. This is a good article, I actually follow a modified Dr. Lynch type protocol. http://mthfrliving.com/health-tips/supplementing-for-mthfr-b12/

They currently take 4,000 mcg daily in capsule form. Which I know sounds like an insane amount, but I think we are dealing with some absorption issues. The hope is, as we continue to heal their gut, their absorption will improve and their needs will go down. We will see. We have tried the sublingual before, but they tend to react to the sweeteners that are typically used. So we just stick with what works best for them.

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
Hi @Sherpa,

I really need your help to be honest.

I'm 28 and I have Adrenal Fatigue which was confirmed via Genoba testing. I'm currently on a regimen for that.

It's also likely that I am dealing with gluten and dairy inolternaces and certain vitamin deficiencies.

What test would you recommend that would help identify my methylation status?
What supplements did you use and why?
Does NAC still work for you?

I think your situation is similar to mine, I hope you can help my friend!

Many Thanks,
Luke

1. I might consider a whole blood histamine or more in depth methylation parhways test. Elevated histamine may indicate undermethylation.

2. my favorite supplements are CBD, Longvida, Life Extension mix, TMG (for methylation), honokiol (for anxiety) and others on this list - http://brettborders.net/cbd-anxiety-guide/#Recommended_Nutritional_Supplements_for_Anxiety

3. NAC still works great if I take it but I don't need it anymore... i just take less supplements than i used to.

Hi @Sherpa

Thanks for all of this information. I will definitely need to do a methylation test.

I forget to mention.. I have been recently diagnosed with Pure OCD. Its been gradually getting worse over the last couple of yearz. This is actually causing me the most problems. The reason I am leaning towards methylation is due to how much NAC has had an impact on my OCD symptoms. I have read your posts regarding this and I can see you have managed to alleviate your OCD.

What else would you advise taking to help with the OCD?

Thanks for getting back,
Luke

1. I might consider a whole blood histamine or more in depth methylation parhways test. Elevated histamine may indicate undermethylation.

2. my favorite supplements are CBD, Longvida, Life Extension mix, TMG (for methylation), honokiol (for anxiety) and others on this list - http://brettborders.net/cbd-anxiety-guide/#Recommended_Nutritional_Supplements_for_Anxiety

3. NAC still works great if I take it but I don't need it anymore... i just take less supplements than i used to.

PracticingAcceptance

Thanks for posting, I have been wondering recently whether I have Pure O. When I eventually am able to get to the doctors about this for a diagnosis, if I get it confirmed, I will start looking into the supplements mentioned here. I had no idea that supplements could help OCD.