• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Question on brain fog

Emmarose47

I'm amazed on here how may fellows are able to churn out so many facts and figures how do they remember them all !

Dear PR

Recently, I feel pretty okay in general. But there is one symptom that really bothers me which is brain fog. Is it typical in CFS that one experiences brain fog after extertion but not much else (maybe a little fatigue with some pain but nothing too bad)? When I overdo it or I experience stress it feels like my brain does not get enough oxygen or blood or whatever and I really feel like I have alzheimers disease. And the problem is that the more I overdid it, the longer it stays. Sometimes it almost feels like derealization with a little pressure (slight headache) in the head.

Is that something you guys can relate to? Is there something that helps with that? Only thing I know is that I have a pretty low blood sedimentation rate (ESR) of 2 and maybe I should try aspirin or something like that...

Many thanks in advance!
Dear PR

Recently, I feel pretty okay in general. But there is one symptom that really bothers me which is brain fog. Is it typical in CFS that one experiences brain fog after extertion but not much else (maybe a little fatigue with some pain but nothing too bad)? When I overdo it or I experience stress it feels like my brain does not get enough oxygen or blood or whatever and I really feel like I have alzheimers disease. And the problem is that the more I overdid it, the longer it stays. Sometimes it almost feels like derealization with a little pressure (slight headache) in the head.

Is that something you guys can relate to? Is there something that helps with that? Only thing I know is that I have a pretty low blood sedimentation rate (ESR) of 2 and maybe I should try aspirin or something like that...

Many thanks in advance!
I don't feel it yet but I'm trying this on myself right now. Basically in this recent research paper they found microdosing (for lack of a better word) Aripiprazole (abilify) was useful for brainfog in ME/CFS.

At tiny off label doses it becomes more of a dopamine (D2) agonist and helps with inflammation (mircoglia activation etc) and takes on different properties. I'm sincerely sorry to hear about what you are going through.

https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1186/s12967-021-02721-9.pdf