Question on brain fog

Dear PR

Recently, I feel pretty okay in general. But there is one symptom that really bothers me which is brain fog. Is it typical in CFS that one experiences brain fog after extertion but not much else (maybe a little fatigue with some pain but nothing too bad)? When I overdo it or I experience stress it feels like my brain does not get enough oxygen or blood or whatever and I really feel like I have alzheimers disease. And the problem is that the more I overdid it, the longer it stays. Sometimes it almost feels like derealization with a little pressure (slight headache) in the head.

Is that something you guys can relate to? Is there something that helps with that? Only thing I know is that I have a pretty low blood sedimentation rate (ESR) of 2 and maybe I should try aspirin or something like that...

Many thanks in advance!

nerd

When I overdo it or I experience stress it feels like my brain does not get enough oxygen or blood
This is how it feels for me as well. And I think there is some truth to it because it gets better once my hemoglobin levels rise until they immediately fall again. But hemoglobin/hematocrit/heme function is only one factor. I also have another kind of brain fog sometimes that feels like I have fever without having real fever.

But there is one symptom that really bothers me which is brain fog
I"ve got it pretty intensely, I'm older, that probably contributes somehow. The nature of the brain fog is- hard to describe, but I sense its not like an Alzhiemer -like phenomenon. for me- I lose energy trying to hold thoughts together into a web, and retrieving- the file is right there. I've lost all ability to retrieve it, as if the plug was pulled by that telephone switchboard gal.

And then I remember whatever it is my older than me husband can;t remember. The name- no problem.

But try reading a long paragraph I simply- give up after 4 or 5 sentences. Puff, why bother. And I often don't care.

the indifference is likely adaptive. I"m indifferent to it, to some degree, as the alternative is - not helpful.

xebex

yes this is how it feels to me, that's the classic PEM brain fog and 'm not sure much can be done about it but rest. However there's another type of brain fog that I suffered from which I do belive is due to not detoxing properly, so cutting gluten, sugar and processed foods pretty much eliminates that for me, I found that LDN also really helped (but i don't take it anymore) and although I still have to be careful with food if I do eat something I shouldn't have I use NAC to get rid of it. I still haven't found anything to get rid of the overexertion fog though.

Judee

Your case of ME/CFS sounds more like @Wishful's situation. He doesn't get the physical fatigue as much as he does the mental PEM like you are describing.

I do think this disease burns out our dopamine receptors or something.

hapl808

I get both the physical fatigue and the mental PEM which are both debilitating. It really does seem like some weird neurotransmitter thing - anything I do which gets me in that 'flow state' for instance, leads to terrible mental PEM for days. I'm not sure if it's the inability to replenish neurotransmitters, an imbalance after use, or what causes it. There have been other threads - any socializing makes me feel a lot better, but then is followed by delayed PEM.

any socializing makes me feel a lot better, but then is followed by delayed PEM.
Me too.....I simply almost can't socialize. If I"m having an OK better day, I can do it briefly, but it seems like I pay often- because my throat seems to harbor Eppstein. a 2 hour coffee shop chat- it feels like Strep...by the time I'm home, I might be literally unable to talk at all.