• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Proprioception Dysfunction - treating this improved my symptoms (I think!)

@anne_likes_red

Two pairs is probably a good idea since you're going all that way! Best of luck and please let us know how you get on.

Have you started lying on a very thin mattress topper on wooden boards yet, as described upthread? Or will you wait until after the trip?

anne_likes_red

@anne_likes_red

Two pairs is probably a good idea since you're going all that way! Best of luck and please let us know how you get on.

Have you started lying on a very thin mattress topper on wooden boards yet, as described upthread? Or will you wait until after the trip?

Yes I started experimenting with a hard surface a couple of years ago after
I found some of Dr Martins da Cunha's recommendations on a French posturology website. More recently my husband modified my side of the bed, so I don't have a soft option any longer. :) I find with the sleeping posture - the more front lying one - I get more restful sleep. If I test for cranial nerve relaxation in that position I find I can fit more fingers in my mouth!
I had eye surgery at 13 so we're just hoping the pallisades (where the proprioceptive fibres are) are intact, although my rough and ready assessment of myself suggests the need for the stronger prism on the other side.
Thanks for your support and encouragement! I will definitely update in due course.
Anne.

Last edited:

anne_likes_red

Updating.

I had to postpone my originally planned April trip until October and I'm just back. *Phew*!

I needed prisms on both sides as it turned out and they immediately restored full range of motion in my neck* and also my right hip. My head feels half the weight it did before and I am noticing it seems much less effort to hold myself upright...sitting or standing.
An unexpected effect is that I'm not reacting to perfume, car exhaust and cigarette smoke the same way I was! My nasal passages and throat used to 'close up' in response to those things. I'd assumed it was a liver detox pathway issue but I'm now thinking it could be olfactory hypersensitivity or limbic system related.

I'm also feeling more comfortable/secure - "separate from all the noise" is the best I can describe it - in busy spaces.

My breathing has improved. Specifically - I feel calm on the exhalation, where as before I experienced panic when trying to hold or extend the outbreath. I've had this symptom as long as I can remember.

I have some postural retraining exercises to do to complete the treatment. I didn't wear glasses before and I'm not loving the feel of the metal frames but the benefits are outweighing any inconvenience.

My understanding is that cognitive improvements can take a few weeks. If I notice changes there I'll update again. Brain fog and attention deficit - busy brain, unable to stay present are my main issues in that department.

*Re restriction in my neck. Apart from low iron levels, this was the only physical issue my GP picked up when I saw her after a relapse in 1990. She referred me for weekly physiotherapy. The therapist said neck issues seemed common in ME patients - she had gleaned this while attending an international conference in the UK earlier that year. I felt better after the sessions but the issue returned to baseline every week. Later I had weekly osteopathic treatments for the same issue...with the same outcome. In general, with relapses or worsening of ME symptoms I would not be able to lift my arms and I experienced more congestion, head pressure and stiffness in my neck and shoulders. I always found Raymond Perrin's home exercises helpful for those symptoms. I'm seeing an osteopath (European School of Osteopathy trained) as part of my postural treatment. I'm interested to see what changes she notices with the glasses.