• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pre and post natal Iron deficiency correlates with attention deficit in ADHD

xebex

Interesting, my daughter has been diagnosed with “subclinical” adhd. Basically she doesn’t fit the criteria designed to diagnose the more obvious symptoms we see in boys. But the doctor said she can clearly see she’s having issues. She also has low iron.

pattismith

Interesting, my daughter has been diagnosed with “subclinical” adhd. Basically she doesn’t fit the criteria designed to diagnose the more obvious symptoms we see in boys. But the doctor said she can clearly see she’s having issues. She also has low iron.

I think I had the iron deficiency ADHD form from the start. This syndrome was not known when I was young and even less the girl specificity!

Knowing that the iron deficiency is the most frequent nutritional deficiency, it's really sad... I hope your daughter may benefit from supplementation.

Did you check if she fits with this article about girls ADHD:

ADHD in girls: How is it different? 2019 article | Phoenix Rising ME/CFS Forums

lenora

Interesting and it makes me very sad for my daughter. I had hyper-emesis when expecting her, but one of the few things I craved was spinach, canned, which is high in iron. I ate a lot of it during the entire pregnancy. I also took the prenatal vitamins.

Of course it never entered my head that she could be low in iron....her pediatrician never mentioned it, and I can remember that she loved liver and onions (can you remember us eating those foods?). I had the exact same hyperemesis with her sister, ate a lot of canned spinach (always had to be canned for some reason), had the same vitamins (with iron) and while both were difficult births, lack of oxygen in both cases, the two were completely different in their personalities and schoolwork as the years passed. So I don't know how much worth I would give this.

Also, I provided both with nourishing food, the second was far pickier than the one with ADHD, and vitamins. I would have surmised that the second child would be in much worse condition than her sister. Of course then hyperemesis didn't exist either....the reasoning behind it: You actually didn't want the child! So wrong, but thinking changes even if it isn't in your time. Our second daughter was quite the opposite, very smart and didn't act out in the classroom. My first daughter was almost 9 lbs. at birth, so she was probably getting nutrition from me, such as I was able to provide in that time. I only gained 20 lbs. or just less. The second child was 7 lbs. 8 ozs.

I wouldn't wish those years upon anyone. This daughter is now 50 yrs. old and quite healthy. Yours, Lenora.

xebex

I think I had the iron deficiency ADHD form from the start. This syndrome was not known when I was young and even less the girl specificity!

Knowing that the iron deficiency is the most frequent nutritional deficiency, it's really sad... I hope your daughter may benefit from supplementation.

Did you check if she fits with this article about girls ADHD:

ADHD in girls: How is it different? 2019 article | Phoenix Rising ME/CFS Forums

Yes ive been reading up on adhd for several years because me and my dad also have a “subclinical” form although it is hard to say whether or not its autism or both, especially in my dad, I actually think my dad is more likely autistic with some adhd traits, his brother is very clearly autistic - incredibly intelligent, and struggles socially to the point he ran away to live in an abandoned mansion in Bulgaria. He had always been the target of violence because he was very obviously strange. The national front once destroyed his caravan and smashed his violin :(