• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sarah94

I am trying PQQ supplements for mitochondrial support.
Wikipedia says "PQQ stimulates growth in bacteria".
(https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrroloquinoline_quinone)
Does this mean that when a person takes PQQ supplements, any bacteria inside them (E.g. Lyme, SIBO) will be encouraged to grow? Or does it just mean that PQQ stimulates bacterial growth when given directly to bacteria in a lab?
I've been trying to research this online but can't find stuff that I understand well enough.

andyguitar

I have'nt been able to find anything that tells us exactly what effect PQQ would have on bacteria in humans and it is very unlikely that any research like that-if undertaken -would give a reliable indication of what it does. But all bacteria in the human body would have to use nutrients we ingest to survive and multiply. So if bad bacteria used PQQ in their life cycle then taking it would not be such a great idea. The research I have seen appears to relate to studies undertaken in a lab, not in a person. Sorry I cant be more precise about this.