• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Post methylb12 syndrome

Hello to everyone,

i need your help one and half month ago after taking a multivitamin that contains 16000% of the rda of vitamin b12 https://shop.purecaps.it/pure-encapsulations-b-complex-plus-8610.html i crashed badly and i developed terrible insomnia, panick attach and extress distresss when i try to sleep, it is absolutely hell, life is unbereable now and i fear to loose my job because of these syntoms, especially the insonnia.

my organic acid test showed b6 and b5 deficency (b6 was 0) so i decided to take vitamin b6 and b5 and the supplementation helped a lot my stress intollerance, then i decided to do a blood test for folic acid and it was deficient, so i decided to buy the multivitamin in the link because it had b6, b5 and methylfolate at 400mcg.

When i started it i got bad sleep from the first day but i didn't connect to it, i made the connection at day 14 so i stopped and i started to have panick attacks when i tried to sleep, terrible insomnia (two days a week 0 hours at night of sleep and the other days just 3 hours of very light sleep), depression....one and half month passed and i still have all the syntoms, i tested holotranscobalamin in blood and it was very high, folic acid is now normal and b6 in plasma too.....what happened ? i'm living pure hell, i'm on benzodiazepine now for sleep but it helps only 30%

drmullin30

@Slayo1 do you know your genetics?

It sounds like you may have COMT SNP that makes you sensitive to methyl donors and may be ramping up your glutamate production as well which could also suggest CBS and/or GAD SNP issues as well. My suggestion would be to try some hydroxocobalamin or nicotinic acid to soak up methyl donors and maybe some NAC and/or glycine to help with glutamate but without knowing your genetics this is a pure guess.

It could also be that you are experiencing start-up symptoms. If your methylation has been blocked or impaired then adding these supplements will open up those pathways which can result in detox or neurological start-up symptoms. I had extensive damage in my amygdala and had lots of anxiety and panic when I started on methylation protocols. If this is the case, you'll need to go with lower doses and work up slowly.

I had excellent results with my anxiety with Kava kava as well although it takes a couple of weeks to start working.

You might want to look into inositol as well it can help with OCD and panic symptoms.

Lastly, lithium is excellent for anxiety, glutamate and general emotional control.

Hope this helps.

drmullin30

Update, be very careful with lithium, I have been having high anxiety I believe from lithium for the past couple of days and I have had to stop b12 supplementation as well as lowered my doses of folate and other b-vitamins. I have stopped the lithium and I am taking magnesium citrate and malate to help detox the excess lithium. Lithium can slow the COMT gene I have learned and seems to be causing some very bad anxiety and potassium deficiency for me.