• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Post-Methylation Protocol Reactions

Methyl90

Despite the shortcoming of serum lab tests, I would start with testing serum folate and vitamin B6 and B12, if you haven't already. They would show outright deficiencies if present. Better would be a RBC folate and a Transcobalamin or urinary methylmalonic acid test, but these are also more expensive and probably would have to be paid out of your own pocket.

Without any of these tests or if they all show sufficient levels, I would start with a good but inexpensive B-complex, which contains activated forms of B2, B6, B9 (methylfolate) and B12. Like for example this (they also have a European store). If that wouldn't suffice on retesting after some months, a sublingual Methylcobalamin lozenge, and a further Methylfolate tablet, both at 1 mg per piece. If homocysteine still remained unresponsive I would add a pyridoxal 5'-phosphate tablet and gradually increase B9 and B12, further adding in TMG gradually increasing to 2-3 g/d. There are further nutrients which have some evidence in reducing homocysteine, but these are usually the main missing.

Be aware that that blood levels all do fluctuate, and usually it takes repeated testing over a couple of years to get sure where you're at. Optimal would be something below 8-9 µmol/L

Could I not simply be over methylated with a low histamine? How can I try to raise histamine? @pamojja

pamojja

With over-methylation experimental niacin (nicotinic acid) would rectify. Do start low and slow however, to avoid an unpleasant flush. Something like 100mg. If the flush isn't strong 125mg the next day, and so on. If the flush gets unbearable reduce the dose again or stay at the same dose till you get accustomed again. Personally I take about 3 g/d since 10 years for improving lipids (which it did by 40%), which again drove my homocysteine up and therefore my need for higher methylation nutrients. Since I just read you're struggling with mental problems, I personally in your shoes would try that anyway. Along with high vitamin C (took about 23 g/d for the last 10 years, and greatly helped with cardiovascular issues in my case).

Did you test low in histamine repeatedly? On selfhacked.com I read:

Methylation
  • Histamine is degraded by methylation (HNMT). That is why various blogs associate high blood histamine with undermethylation and undermethylators, and low blood histamine with overmethylation and overmethylators. Note, however, that under/over methylation as full body phenomena are not backed up by scientific research. High histamine may be a result of several causes other than decreased HNMT activity, such as reduced DAO activity, increased histamine production and increased histamine ingestion.

Methyl90

But vitamin C in my case could even lower the histamine. As for the B3 ok. Would Niacinamide to avoid redness be more appropriate?

pamojja

But vitamin C in my case could even lower the histamine

It does it very pleasantly and like any other prescription anti-histamine with my very severe seasonal rhinitis symptoms. But have you tested even once low in histamine? - And if you didn't, could not an otherwise harmless anti-histamine like pure ascorbic acid powder rectify it further?

Would Niacinamide to avoid redness be more appropriate?

I'm clearly biased for nicotinic acid. I even regret that after continuous use one doesn't experience the relaxing, circulation improving, and warming of the 'red' flush anymore. Honestly down know, never heard of Niacinamide being used against overmethylation.

Methyl90

Do you know that I think my problem now that I think about it is on HMNT or DAO? Tomorrow I try to do histamine analysis in the blood. But if the problem was this I think that not even B3 can help me. What do you think about it ?

I try Jarrow B complex Last days and i have good benefits. Not idea of the cause is nicotinic Acid.

pamojja

What do you think about it ?

I'm a thinker too, but in the end only the doer in me helped me to improve my health. We all do need all essential nutrients. For some what can be get from food is enough to keep them in good health. Others do need very individualized amounts of all nutrients to match their bio-chemical individuality. Or even pharmacological effects of the same very common nutrients at astronomical amounts. No lab-test can tell how much exactly of each at the outset.

Through experimenting, always starting low with a nutrient and increasing gradually over weeks, months and years, I found I need above 20.000 IU of vitamin A to cease my infrequent psoriasis outbreaks. Above 160 mg of ubiquinone (half the dose of ubiquinol) ceased angina-like chest pains. High dose vitamin C at about 6 g/d healed at once a for years persisting skin rush on my back. That 6 Mg-sulfate IVs ceased pain-full muscle-cramps from severe Mg-deficiency (beside 2.4 g/d of oral supplemented elemental Mg). That, despite my blood B6 levels being 3 times higher than highest normal (B12 double, while B9 only half higher), in the end only above 200 mg B6 was bringing back consistent dream-recall (I never had in life). That since supplementing comprehensively since 10 years, I never experienced a sunburn (though trying really hard, by going for years each time in the deepest winter to a South-Indian beach for 6 week, sunbathing a total of 4 hours each day), in this case without knowing which agent in particular had this amazing effect.

Which thinking or theory or hypothesis or even rectified by expensive lab-testing could have ever have given these experiences - insights of health-benefits at particular doses of nutrients with my particular health-history - than just simply doing it by experimenting with all nutrients in different amount?

Lab-testing is of course essential to see the general direction one is moving with particular interventions. But the crux lies in experimenting after having given it a good while of thought. Go slow though, and only increase very gradually over time, to catch always possible reverse reactions early on (which again no test could give certainty beforehand), when they are not that severe. And you're able to adjust doses accordingly, or increase co-dependent nutrients.

Also essential is that you take responsibility for any intervention yourself. No matter how good an advise may sound, basically any medical advise on the internet is criminal without having established a health-care relationship in person, and which isn't possible over the internet. You always have to check possible benefits and possible harms yourself. To be able to make informed decisions and take responsibility yourself. If you aren't able for whatever reason for such a thorough evaluation, you have to find someone taking this responsibility for you.

Last edited:

Methyl90

If I have strong negative effects when I take NAC, Whey Protein and ricotta is a signal that I have difficulty producing glutathione and methylation is low? Could I have benefits with SAM-e? very often I have symptoms of the autism spectrum. My homocysteine is 15. With B12 and methylfolate I have had mixed effects and probably also blockage of methylation.

I have found that what I have been thinking of as "overmethylation" has actually been a spontaneous rise in serum b12 levels since I stopped supplementing 2 months ago to continue to increase out of range. The last dose of b12 was in hydroxycobalamin form which I only took twice. My MCV is also measured above range during this 6 week period. Be careful out there people, you never know what may emerge! Working with MD to identify any underlying issues. Have completely cut out carbs and gone keto as carbs have caused mental overload (headache and anxiety) when eaten.