• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Positivity for you all! :)

YippeeKi YOW !!

Yes but many also say keto diet is good. We are all unique I guess
Not clear on connection here.

Also, have come across a lot of posts that are very negative about KETO for ME ... but as you say, we're all different in regards to what helps/what hurts.
Good for energy but wicked on GI
Depending on how it's processed, very low on anything but carbs .... not a great nutritional choice.

YippeeKi YOW !!

But they also have solanine. Evil nasty potatoes! Oh how I miss them. :(
I hear you. I've just started adding back 1/2 a baked potato a few times a week, and so far, so good. I love potatoes, it was hard to have to cut them, along with just about everything else, out of my diet when things were really really bad.

Solanine is present in every member of the nightshade family, including tomatoes and eggplant. But it only appears in concentrations high enough to be harmful to most of us when the potato has those nasty green spots, which are the result of storing them in sunlight. The green part is chlorophyll, which itself isnt harmful, but is a sort of storage sink for huge amounts of solanine. It also turns that portion of the potato very bitter. If you cut it out before cooking, the solanine and bitter goes with it.

Wishful

But it only appears in concentrations high enough to be harmful to most of us when the potato has those nasty green spots,

I think my ME has made me much more sensitive than most people. I reacted to potatoes with no sign of green. I reacted tomatoes too. I could test them again, but they're just not important enough to risk possible worsening of my ME.

YippeeKi YOW !!

I think my ME has made me much more sensitive than most people. I reacted to potatoes with no sign of green. I reacted tomatoes too. I could test them again, but they're just not important enough to risk possible worsening of my ME.
I agree. Some people, even some super-unlucky ones that don't even have ME, are extra-sensitive to things that the luckier population isn't even aware exist.

Potatoes and tomatoes are terrific, but not good enough to risk another extended reaction.

Given time and improvement you might want to try again, but not without a good reason to risk it !!!

Back