• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Poll on benefits of supplementing amino acids

Did supplementing any of the amino acids improve your energy levels?

• Total voters

linusbert

+ for Carnitine for sure (i did vote for it)
i use carnitine fumarate, the only supplement i tolerate permanently - only tends to give me diarrhea fast so i need to take after food and not more than 500mg once a day or every other day.
wish i could inject it into skin fat.

ALCAR seams to sometimes become negative, but fumarate never made me crash. therefore i explicitly vote for carnitine fumarate.

helps me with tolerating eating egg yolks and omega3 oils.
only thing which per today never made me crash.

BrightCandle

Not sure, the BCAA++ AXA blend worked quite well for me for a few months and then gradually it tapered away. I am finding sneak (an energy powder which is BCAA + Electrolytes) also boosts me on an afternoon better than just caffeine or electrolytes on their own for 4 months now. But it only reduces the afternoon lull I usually get. I don't think any of this particular does much to be worthwhile.

From Wikipeda

Lysine plays several roles in humans, most importantly proteinogenesis, but also in the crosslinking of collagen polypeptides, uptake of essential mineral nutrients, and in the production of carnitine, which is key in fatty acid metabolism.

L'engle

moogle
L carnitine fumarate specifically. Didn't improve with the other carnitines.

Glycine is helpful more for calming the edge off other supplements that create a wired feeling.
You can get glycine from minerals in the glycinate/bisglycinate form. I find them good to take in the evening.

Atlas

"And the last enemy to be destroyed is death."
I have been taking collagen which seems to help a little. Perhaps not enough to be worth taking long term if not for the reason I'm also taking it to help repair gut permeability.

BrightCandle

I have been taking collagen which seems to help a little. Perhaps not enough to be worth taking long term if not for the reason I'm also taking it to help repair gut permeability.

I was doing similar. Its a weird one it seemed to help, then it made me worse. Some of the research on the microclots made me stop as they attach and form around collagen. But the thing is my neck and shoulder and gut felt better with collagen intake so I feel like its a bit of a trade off where it makes my brain fog worse but improves other things.

Atlas

"And the last enemy to be destroyed is death."
Some of the research on the microclots made me stop as they attach and form around collagen
True, I didn't know about that, interesting to know.

I have been trying to not rely on it for doing extra activity, because it does feel like it gives me an energy boost but perhaps does not increase my PEM threshold.

Its a weird one it seemed to help, then it made me worse.

I wonder if it helps because we are preferentially burning amino acids (possibly because of the itaconate shunt), but if we burn too much of them it could increase ammonia levels a lot and so be counterproductive.

linusbert

True, I didn't know about that, interesting to know.

I have been trying to not rely on it for doing extra activity, because it does feel like it gives me an energy boost but perhaps does not increase my PEM threshold.

I wonder if it helps because we are preferentially burning amino acids (possibly because of the itaconate shunt), but if we burn too much of them it could increase ammonia levels a lot and so be counterproductive.

alpha ketoglutarate might help with that. it bind the ammonia.

linusbert

i noticed that in fasting periods fat isnt used optimal by my body. instead it seams body switches from sugar to amino acids for energy.
it could be that this is a problem for many of us, in that case i makes sense that we have benefits from amino acids.
but remember that amino acid metabolism drains on vitamin B6.

Wishful

I've gotten temporary benefits from BCAAs and carnitine (blocking/countering effects of something else), but none of the listed supplements boosted my energy. Blocking other symptoms can sometimes feel like having more energy, but really it's more of a reduction in the energy needed to accomplish tasks.

Viala

I've gotten temporary benefits from BCAAs and carnitine (blocking/countering effects of something else), but none of the listed supplements boosted my energy. Blocking other symptoms can sometimes feel like having more energy, but really it's more of a reduction in the energy needed to accomplish tasks.

How much did you take daily and for how long?

Wishful

How much did you take daily and for how long?

At one point, a meal of carbs made me feel worse starting 20 minutes later. A level tsp of BCAAs prevented that (or maybe spread it out over a longer period so I didn't notice it). The sensitivity to carbs went away after a few weeks or months. BCAAs didn't have any other benefit for me.

Later, meat (or rather, the fatty acids in it) made my symptoms worse. Acetyl L-Carnitine (500 mg?) with the meal prevented those symptoms. As with the carb sensitivity, it went away after a few months. Carnitine didn't have any other benefits for me.

I did try both at higher amounts, and different times of day, but no benefits from that.