• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

POLL: Do you sweat a lot from a 20 minute walk? Linked to overactive sympathetic nerves, and in turn, reduced Th1 antiviral immune responses

Do you sweat after a 20 or 30 minute walk?

• Total voters

pattismith

What is this significance of that in relation to the sympathetic nervous system?

You may consider my intervention of topic, but I whish to raise the question that taking spironolactone (a drug that you quoted to reduce SNS) on a regular basis will interfer with iron absorption and this can lead to unwanted side effect (negative if you have iron overload or beneficial if you have iron deficiency).

Spironolactone was shown to combat hyperaldosteronism and subsequent edema and decreased morbidity and mortality rates in patients with severe heart failure.49 As described above, hepcidin deficiency upon long-term spironolactone therapy may cause iron overload also in the heart, which could aggravate heart disease and thus should be diagnosed and prevented. Another important indication for spironolactone is ascites, an accumulation of fluid in the abdominal cavity. Interestingly, ascites is tightly linked to liver cirrhosis,48 a condition in which hepcidin deficiency and increased iron levels were reported.50 Further suppression of hepcidin levels by spironolactone treatment (Figure 4A) may cause an even more pronounced dysregulation of iron homeostasis in cirrhotic patients, which may outweigh its beneficial effects on edema and thus provide a rationale for the application of alternative agents.

Last edited:
If there is an age gap between PR and reddit, than I agree with L'engle, probably also a difference in illness duration. Possibly the "veterans" on PR have already adapted more over time, are walking slowlier and more carefully than the younger people on reddit.

Hip

This video from the Bateman Horne Center, at timecode 22.04, looks at ways of calming an over active sympathetic nervous system in ME/CFS and long COVID.

Methods discussed in the video include:
  • Stellate ganglion block injections — 22:35
  • Beta blockers — 29:20
  • Alpha blockers — 30:52
  • Benzodiazepines — 31:28
  • Vagal manoeuvres — 33:28
  • Conscious control of autonomic responses: biofeedback therapy, meditation — 36:12
  • Transcranial magnetic simulation — 38:32