• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

POLL: Are you a primarily mouth breather or nose breather?

Are you primarily a mouth breather or nose breather?

• Mouth

• Nose

Results are only viewable after voting.

joejack102

For those with POTS, Chronic Fatigue, Autonomic Dysfunction, etc...

PLEASE VOTE ABOVE: Are you primarily a mouth breather or nose breather (when you breath without thinking)?

The purpose of this poll is to determine if there is any correlation with breathing abnormalities and these disorders.

ahmo

I was always a nose breather. The last years (how many?) I catch myself mouth breathing frequently. Lungs compromised? It feels like whenever there's physical exertion, I'm mouth breathing.

Sundancer

mouthbreather from childhood. Combination of overbite ( braces did not help) recurring ear-infections and too big tonsils ( operated upon several times, grew back)

Other reason for mouth-breathing can be over breathing. During my severe state I over-breathed in the night. More commonly known as chronic hyperventilation. this is due to high stresses in the body.

My normal breathing-pattern is very slow, has been like that for many years, think here about 3 or 4 per minute in rest. In general over-breathing is anything above 12 per minute if I remember it well.

Chronic hyperventilation is commonly thought to be caused by too much mental stress, ( then after stress has gone the breathing pattern does not easliy go back to normal due to changed buffering capacity of the blood)
But after having had it again due to severe ME I know that bodily stress ( illness/ infection etc.) can cause over-breathing ( and thus mouthbreathing) as well.

I think/believe that the changed buffering capacity in the blood also leads to nose tending to be stopped up, in this way perpetuating the problem.

Might look up Buteyko, this is a therapy that aims to reverse chronic hyperventilation.

I did another therapy for it ( many many years ago)

Ema

Taping my mouth at night has been one of the best things I have done for sleep. Who would have thought?

joejack102

Taping my mouth at night has been one of the best things I have done for sleep. Who would have thought?
In my opinion, this is not safe. Our mouth is supposed to be a backup in case our nose gets obstructed so that we don’t die.

Also, I found out recently that I have obstructive sleep apnea. I highly suggest everybody get tested through a sleep study (even a take-home sleep study device), because untreated sleep apnea is a contributor for heart disease, kidney problems, and much more. I now use a CPAP every night to help me sleep/breathe and it’s incredible. I now sleep so much better, and my sleep is more refreshing!

Ema

In my opinion, this is not safe. Our mouth is supposed to be a backup in case our nose gets obstructed so that we don’t die.

Also, I found out recently that I have obstructive sleep apnea. I highly suggest everybody get tested through a sleep study (even a take-home sleep study device), because untreated sleep apnea is a contributor for heart disease, kidney problems, and much more. I now use a CPAP every night to help me sleep/breathe and it’s incredible. I now sleep so much better, and my sleep is more refreshing!
Obviously it is ridiculous to tape your mouth closed with super glue or the like. Mouth tape comes off when you open your mouth for a yawn. Some varieties even go further and have a small vent hole.

I used to drink a liter of water at night because I was so dry due to mouth breathing. Now I hardly ever wake up for even a sip, not to mention the decrease in trips to the bathroom. It’s an amazing change that has been wonderful for my sleep.

joejack102

Obviously it is ridiculous to tape your mouth closed with super glue or the like. Mouth tape comes off when you open your mouth for a yawn. Some varieties even go further and have a small vent hole.

I used to drink a liter of water at night because I was so dry due to mouth breathing. Now I hardly ever wake up for even a sip, not to mention the decrease in trips to the bathroom. It’s an amazing change that has been wonderful for my sleep.

Have you been tested via an overnight sleep study for sleep apnea? I had no clue or signs that I had it until I was tested, and it came back in the severe category.