• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Poll: Antibiotics before ME/CFS?

Have you ever had antibiotics before ME/CFS? If so, how many times?

• Total voters
Good idea for a thread/poll @Finn :thumbsup:
Thanks, andy! Yes, I am curious to see if there is any good link between antibiotics & this disease!

They are very tricky! They can save lives, they have their place and time, and for sure they've done so much good in this world, but unfortunately, they are also prescribed very often to acute conditions and in situations where they are not needed!

I took antibiotics in the six months before both my onset and the one time my baseline worsend considerably. And these were the only two times of antibiotics since I was a child. Nice correlation.

Interesting! I too remember that I was kind of lightly into this disease, but after coming down with flu/cold (temperature, headaches, fatigue, and everything else) I was prescribed antibiotics! Soon after that, in about 2 weeks or so my ME/CFS got worse and I could not function anymore, had to stop the part-time job I had back then and every day was a struggle...and it still is...

Markus83

Most people take antibiotics every year, so I doubt you will come up with useful results here. IMO it would make more sense to ask for the specific antibiotic classes like penicillines, tetracyclines, fluorochinolones etc. I would suspect a higher complication rate with flurochinolones compared to other abx.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
So this poll is a little confusing to me, @Flnn.

Were we suppose to vote in two categories? Yes/No (top part) and frequency as well (bottom part)? (I only voted in the frequency area.)

Wishful

I had antibiotics several times for tooth infections, before ME and after developing ME. The latter had no effect on my ME.

So this poll is a little confusing to me, @Flnn.

Were we suppose to vote in two categories? Yes/No (top part) and frequency as well (bottom part)? (I only voted in the frequency area.)

Sorry, it was supposed to be one answer! I made a mistake, and now it seems to not want to correct the number of answers...

I took Doxycycline daily for a period of 6 months (as a malarial prophylactic) a year or two prior to ME/CFS symptoms arriving. I've always wondered what damage might have been done by such a sustained period on Doxy. Is anyone aware of any on-going medical research seeking to identify how antibiotic use/overuse might create a susceptibility to ME/CFS (presumably only in people with other predispositions to it, given that millions of people use antibiotics relatively frequently without suffering ME/CFS)? I'd be interested to follow any research that's out there. Thanks.

I have been on antibiotics for 2 1/2 years on the Wheldon protocol with slow steady improvement in physical strength, endurance and continuing nerve damage reversal. The first 6 months were brutal -worse pain and weakness but noticed nerve damage reversal in several areas so I continued. This disease was wrecking my body - as I had clinical signs of Parkinson's( cogwheel rigidity) before the treatment but that has disappeared.