• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Plea from Dr Bell to donate to the WPI

justinreilly

This is great. Thank you, Dr. Bell! We need more of our clinicians and researchers to speak out forcefully like this!

Everyone who can, please donate all you can to WPI! Thank you!

If you are currently sending any money to CAA, please send it instead to WPI where it will go to better use! We've got to maximize every dollar.

(sarcastic belittling comment removed)

gu3vara

I just gave 20$ and will do until light is shed on this hole political shite. Long life to the WPI!

Lily

*Believe*
This is great. Thank you, Dr. Bell! We need more of our clinicians and researchers to speak out forcefully like this!

Everyone who can, please donate all you can to WPI! Thank you!

If you are currently sending any money to CAA, please send it instead to WPI where it will go to better use! We've got to maximize every dollar.

You finally won me over, JR. I'm donating monthly to WPI instead of CAA.

ETA: Evidence actually won me over about a month ago;)

ixchelkali

I finally spoke to my DH about donating $50 that we cannot afford to the WPI. After I read him Dr Bell's letter, he suggested we make it $100.

I just posted a thread about Dr Bell's Facebook page, and now I see Fred already posted it here.

rebecca1995

Apple, anyone?
This is great. Thank you, Dr. Bell! We need more of our clinicians and researchers to speak out forcefully like this!...

Ain't that the truth! Dr. Bell has always believed in calling a spade a spade. Look what he has to say about CBT:

Medical authorities, educational institutions, governmental agencies, and most practicing physicians have disrespected and minimized CFS in just about every way possible, from creating an insulting name for the illness to advising extreme caution in treatment, except cognitive behavioral treatments.

See how he implies that cognitive behavioral treatments are a way to disrespect and minimize CFS?

Huge amounts of money are spent on studies on cognitive therapy, and studies proving that CFS is heterogeneous (you can argue that polio is heterogenous).

Note to those rewriting the CAA materials: You can easily lift the above quotes and use them to replace the CAA's current endorsements of CBT.

Hi Rebecca,

I use online banking. You can pay your bills automatically through your checking account if your checking account comes with online banking. I just added WPI as a "creditor" and ignored the space for the account number. The WPI's donation page link goes right to paypal and it does not appear to offer an automated payment option. I will call them (WPI) tomorrow and see if there is a way to offer an auto pay option from their website. If someone else knows the right person to talk to at WPI and feels up to calling, please feel free to call. Until then I can't see any way to auto pay without online banking. If someone else can figure out a way, please post.

srmny

leelaplay

Hi Rebecca - I think xmrv global action's cause page "donate to WPI button" (all funds go directly to WPI) offers the ability to make monthly payments - but don't hold me to that. You can click the cause link in my signature if you want to check it out. :)

rebecca1995

Apple, anyone?
Monthly billing

Thanks, IF/shrews.

You can indeed have your credit card charged automatically every month through XMRV Global Action at this URL: http://www.causes.com/causes/421525

Click on the green donate button. Then there's an option to donate $10 monthly, among other options. Yes, 100% of donations go to the WPI.

But unfortunately, they don't take my brand of credit card. :Retro mad::(

justinreilly

You finally won me over, JR. I'm donating monthly to WPI instead of CAA.

ETA: Evidence actually won me over about a month ago;)

Well, whether it was something I wrote or actual evidence :D that persuaded you, thank you for having an open mind and donating to WPI which is really going above and beyond to help us.

justinreilly

I just gave 20$ and will do until light is shed on this hole political shite. Long life to the WPI!

I finally spoke to my DH about donating $50 that we cannot afford to the WPI. After I read him Dr Bell's letter, he suggested we make it $100.

I just posted a thread about Dr Bell's Facebook page, and now I see Fred already posted it here.

I dug deep and gave $300. I think this is better than spending it on a local doctor who won't help me anyway.

Great idea, srmny! How will you do that? Can auto payment be set up by credit card and/or paypal on the WPI site?

Wow! You guys and everyone else who's contributed totally inspire me, humble me and blow me away!!! $300 from Andrew! Rebecca is going to donate and she's bedbound! I am not as sick, but honestly I'm not going to contribute now because I can't financially.

I feel a little embarrassed considering how deep you guys dug to help us all out and here I am urging people to donate and not giving myself! But you guys have inspired me to send them money in the future whenever I can manage it. It's not much but that's what I can realistically manage.

You guys have more courage and integrity in one limping mitochondrion than someone like Peter White has in his whole body!

With people like this, I know "we will overcome." As I think Dr. Martin Luther King also said fight "until light is shed on this hole political shite." "Long life to the WPI!" :victory::victory::victory:

serenity

"Me, too. And I chatted with two friends this week who wanted to understand ME/CFS better...and after we talked, they were shocked about how rough this illness is, and how terribly unfair the NIH funding has been, and they said, "Is there some place we can donate?" and I told them about WPI."

wow Dancer, that is great!
:)

bel canto

I was just telling my guy today that I was really worried that the WPI seemed to be getting cut out of research grants funding. And here comes Dr. Bell with this letter - bless his great heart. What a wonderful thing to do for all of us.

We're doing ok in these hard times, and I'm sending off my donation tonight. the monthly funding idea is great, and we'll do that, too.

I hope there's some way that Dr. Bell can get feedback on his impact on donations, at least from this forum.

Kati

Patient in training
While the generosity of patients with ME is incredible, a lot of us rely on very little money each months to pay the bills and feed ourselves. With a health budget of quite a few billions of dollars, it is appalling that the NIH/ US government/ other governments can't find a few dozens of millions to further the research on patients with ME. This is an insult on top of the 30 years of ignorance and lies from them and the CDC.

usedtobeperkytina

Agreed that this is an unusually bold statement by Dr. Bell. I hope his intuition is wrong and there actually are some studies about to come out and more research is happening. The not knowing is so against my reporter instincts.

But this is second time someone has said WPI seems to be hurting.

The misinformation in those European studies should have been publicly exposed from the beginning. Damage may have been done.

This miser is going to get my purse now, despite it being after midnight. I have been preaching for months now that lobbying government and asking CDC to help us does not work and only leads to frustration. We must do it ourselves. My $50 donation just went through.

Tina