• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Physical health / exercise

Emmarose47

Hi all
I'm looking for peoples experience / knowledge on exercise to help keep muscle mass , body strength and cardiac ...
I do some yoga most days ( apart fr when in crash ) ... And this really helps .
I'm worried about muscle wastage , heart health and general body strength.
I follow plant based diet so that's good . Have extra protein and supplements .
I do have osteopenia and take extra calcium it's recommended I do weight bearing exercise to help this .
I walk average 1,500 steps a day around house and garden which I'm grateful I can do .

What experience / knowledge do people have on keeping muscle mass, body strength and cardiac health .

Ob a sedentary life is not conducive to health . I want to incorporate some regime gentle and maybe build on it ...

godlovesatrier

My muscle mass hasn't been too bad overall. I've primarily lost strength and stamina on the whole.

You might want to look into bcaas. Your muscles use 3 amjkk acids primarily to renew and replenish muscle tissue. These are valine lycine and leucine. The bcaas have these in a golden ratio for the body. You take up to 5g a day in two split does before and after lunch. Must be taken on an empty stomach.

If you have problems with PEM bcaas often cut this in half or block it completely for some.

That and a high protein diet should stop you getting dangerously low muscle mass. If your talking about not losing any muscle mass then there's no real way round this without weight training for example. For example I was a runner for 13 years prior to getting ME and I definitely didn't retain that muscle mass.

Hope this helps.

Emmarose47

My muscle mass hasn't been too bad overall. I've primarily lost strength and stamina on the whole.

You might want to look into bcaas. Your muscles use 3 amjkk acids primarily to renew and replenish muscle tissue. These are valine lycine and leucine. The bcaas have these in a golden ratio for the body. You take up to 5g a day in two split does before and after lunch. Must be taken on an empty stomach.

If you have problems with PEM bcaas often cut this in half or block it completely for some.

That and a high protein diet should stop you getting dangerously low muscle mass. If your talking about not losing any muscle mass then there's no real way round this without weight training for example. For example I was a runner for 13 years prior to getting ME and I definitely didn't retain that muscle mass.

Hope this helps.
Thanks godlovesatrier ( I love that expression
What does bcass stand for ?
Wow cutting pem in half sounds v attractive ..
Is it expensive ? Where do I buy it ?
I'm in UK
Yep I have a high protein diet so that's good .. the nutritionist recommended that ..

godlovesatrier

Yep @Rufous McKinney is on it. Branched chain amino acids as she said.

There not expensive no you get a massive tub for not much. Optimum nutrition is the brand.

https://uk.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/bc.html?skuId=OPT442

You can't go wrong with these to be honest.

I don't think anyone gets my username outside of the north of England 😂

Yep so I used to get 110g of protein per day. Makes a huuuge difference. Theres a beef jerky supplier on Amazon (zero sugar) which can get you another 20 to 30g a day. Most beef jerky is horrid or course as it's coated in sugar. Sadly they don't have brand name. Had a look for you but can't find them again.

Emmarose47

Yep @Rufous McKinney is on it. Branched chain amino acids as she said.

There not expensive no you get a massive tub for not much. Optimum nutrition is the brand.

https://uk.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/bc.html?skuId=OPT442

You can't go wrong with these to be honest.

I don't think anyone gets my username outside of the north of England 😂

Yep so I used to get 110g of protein per day. Makes a huuuge difference. Theres a beef jerky supplier on Amazon (zero sugar) which can get you another 20 to 30g a day. Most beef jerky is horrid or course as it's coated in sugar. Sadly they don't have brand name. Had a look for you but can't find them again.
Ah that's that's great...thank u
I'm originally from the Midlands I get u !